Reservation fee credit to final price of car

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Dwayne1959

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Is it just me? Does it look like the $1000.00 reservation fee and the $2500 order fee, are administrative fees and does not credit towards the car?

ng0

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is it just me? Does it look like the $1000.00 reservation fee and the $2500 order fee, are administrative fees and does not credit towards the car?
yea, it definitely goes to the cost of the car. I think of the reservation fee as a wash because they charge $1000 for the destination fee.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I can tell you for sure they are credited toward your final cost.
The sales contract says that they are non refundable once you configure due to the work involved with getting your car but it is credited to the cost.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I shared my final numbers somewhere in this thread but good luck finding it with pages and pages and pages of posts. Both count toward your down payment.

smak

Country
Country
I shared my final numbers somewhere in this thread but good luck finding it with pages and pages and pages of posts. Both count toward your down payment.
You're paying tax on the full amount, but your final payment/loan is less the deposits.

It makes it a bit tricky to fill out a finance calculator, you have to stick that -$3500 somewhere untaxed, so your total financing is right.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You're paying tax on the full amount, but your final payment/loan is less the deposits.

It makes it a bit tricky to fill out a finance calculator, you have to stick that -$3500 somewhere untaxed, so your total financing is right.
Yeah — just simplest seeing it as part of the down payment because that’s ultimately exactly what it is (assuming you’re financing).

Here is the snippet again and $3,500 is in 4.A. “Order Payment”.

7f4ceec7-1563-4b35-b662-8b90942895fe-jpeg.6128

smak

Country
Country
Yeah — just simplest seeing it as part of the down payment because that’s ultimately exactly what it is (assuming you’re financing).

Here is the snippet again and $3,500 is in 4.A. “Order Payment”.

View attachment 6128
Man, that sales tax savings on your trade-in is nice. My current car is worth exactly that, but nada.

Simon Says

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
yea, it definitely goes to the cost of the car. I think of the reservation fee as a wash because they charge $1000 for the destination fee.
Is it just me or a destination fee is really bull especially if you take delivery two miles away from the factory? Never liked all these extra fees but it seems worst in this case given the distance.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is it just me or a destination fee is really bull especially if you take delivery two miles away from the factory? Never liked all these extra fees but it seems worst in this case given the distance.
yea, I don't like that the destination/doc fee is still the same even if you go pick up from the factory, but I guess a portion of it is the doc fees. Would be nice if they gave you like 500 bucks off it if you were willing to drive to the factory. I know I definitely would be willing to.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
yea, I don't like that the destination/doc fee is still the same even if you go pick up from the factory, but I guess a portion of it is the doc fees. Would be nice if they gave you like 500 bucks off it if you were willing to drive to the factory. I know I definitely would be willing to.
They are prohibited from doing that, by law.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Man, that sales tax savings on your trade-in is nice. My current car is worth exactly that, but nada.
I agree and it’s better than I thought actually! I was under the impression that the tax savings on a trade in was the net value after payoff so this was a pleasant surprise of about another $600!

I remember reading somewhere that the amount must be the same and can’t be changed. Not sure why but I assume it’s to protect consumers.

EDIT: this link describes it a bit: https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/new-car-delivery-or-destination-charges-explained-213280

smak

Country
Country
Well, Tesla is really the only company that this happens with, and you know nobody is going to make a special addition to the rules just for Tesla.

Simon Says

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I
Well, Tesla is really the only company that this happens with, and you know nobody is going to make a special addition to the rules just for Tesla.
I just wished they would have just gone away with tack-on fees. Sell the base price at 36K if you need that 1K in doc/destination fees. I just hate the whole thing about fees. Tesla is different in its marketing approach I wish they would do the same with the fees. And in their case the whole destination fees for the tens of thousands who will pick it up in Fremont is absurd.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I

I just wished they would have just gone away with tack-on fees. Sell the base price at 36K if you need that 1K in doc/destination fees. I just hate the whole thing about fees. Tesla is different in its marketing approach I wish they would do the same with the fees. And in their case the whole destination fees for the tens of thousands who will pick it up in Fremont is absurd.
Really I wish Tesla would've just said, "hey, we're gonna sell at $50K car and sometime in the distance future we'll strip it down and sell it as a $36K car." That would've been the best, most honest solution.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I

Problem is some people like to see all line items and some people want to see a single price. I mean ultimately as long as nothing is hidden I don’t see a big deal. I’m in the camp where I actually like to see everything.

Really I wish Tesla would've just said, "hey, we're gonna sell at $50K car and sometime in the distance future we'll strip it down and sell it as a $36K car." That would've been the best, most honest solution.
I agree though thankfully at least they didn’t show it as a $27,500 car with incentives baked in already (like S/X). That would have been a disaster.