Request to an owner: supercharging rate

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

McHoffa

EV.network
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wondering if anyone that has their car could do a time lapse video of the screen showing charging from near 0% to 100% at a supercharger. I'd really like to see the curve of the charge rate vs the percentage.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S

McHoffa

EV.network
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's doubtful that you're going to get anyone to sit at a charger that long because a) there's never a reason to risk getting that low, b) it is painfully slow to charge to 100%, c) it costs money to Supercharge in a Model 3. One of our members is working on curves with the available data though here: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-charging-curve.5112/page-2#post-60035
I would do it if I had mine. Not to 0% but maybe 5%. I would find something to do while it's charging for an hour or so.

McHoffa

EV.network
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Have you seen this clip?
That gives a good idea, but I'd like to see that over the entire charge to see the full rate of charge over time in the real world. I want to do the math to figure out what it will actually cost to use the supercharger here in NC since they charge per minute. $0.16 per minute while it's over 60 kW and $0.08 per minute while it's under 60 kW. It will be interesting to see if it's more or less (or close to) the actual cost of the kWh used.

Country
Country
That gives a good idea, but I'd like to see that over the entire charge to see the full rate of charge over time in the real world. I want to do the math to figure out what it will actually cost to use the supercharger here in NC since they charge per minute. $0.16 per minute while it's over 60 kW and $0.08 per minute while it's under 60 kW. It will be interesting to see if it's more or less (or close to) the actual cost of the kWh used.
I'm still trying to figure this out, is that over 60KW capacity or 60KW charge rate?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm still trying to figure this out, is that over 60KW capacity or 60KW charge rate?
kW is power, not capacity. kWh is capacity (energy).

They charge you more when you're charging at a higher power, which is only logical, since that means that the charger can't provide as much power to the paired stall, and can mean higher demand charges.

L. David Roper

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does a Supercharger have a high power plateau (~110 kW) for about the same time interval no matter what is the initial SOC of the battery? If so, is that because of heat being generated in the battery?
If not, how does the power plateau time interval change with initial SOC?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Does a Supercharger have a high power plateau (~110 kW) for about the same time interval no matter what is the initial SOC of the battery? If so, is that because of heat being generated in the battery?
If not, how does the power plateau time interval change with initial SOC?
No. The high power plateau is based on your current SoC. Whenever your current SoC gets high enough that the battery can no longer accept such high charging currents, the charging rate is tapered. Initial SoC is not important, except when thermal issues are at play (e.g. for a cold battery you have to wait for it to heat up). Also, sometimes very low SoC batteries need a longer ramping up time before they can be charged at the maximum rate.

L. David Roper

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the great work you have done collecting charging data for the 3LR. Are there sufficient data for the 3LR to have curves of power versus time for different initial SOCs, say ~0%, 25%, 50% and 75%?

Stats App

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Here is a example of super charging rate (my car). As the SoC increases, the charge rate decreases almost linearly.

linear-png.12006

[mod edit commercial self-promotion link removed per forum rules]

Last edited by a moderator:

L. David Roper

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks. I am doing a mathematical fit to TM3LR charging curves for different starting % SOC.
My last question is: What was the % SOC when you started charging?
I will post curves after I finish.

Stats App

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Thanks. I am doing a mathematical fit to TM3LR charging curves for different starting % SOC.
My last question is: What was the % SOC when you started charging?
I will post curves after I finish.
SoC at the start was ~20%. On the graph's x-axis you can see the SoC for each data-point.
Charge rate as a function of SoC is almost piecewise linear.