Replace Model S headlight, suggestions?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
My right headlight went out on my 2016 Model S. The Tesla tech said a replacement is $1200. What? That seems crazy. Ebay and others have used ones for $150-250. I ask the tech to use the used part, but they only work with new OEM parts. Talking to Tesla certified body shops only will do new OEM. Any suggestions to avoid getting price gouged like this?

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My right headlight went out on my 2016 Model S. The Tesla tech said a replacement is $1200. What? That seems crazy. Ebay and others have used ones for $150-250. I ask the tech to use the used part, but they only work with new OEM parts. Talking to Tesla certified body shops only will do new OEM. Any suggestions to avoid getting price gouged like this?
For a 2016 model you should be close enough to warranty that you might be able to argue a bit. If not, yes, new OEM LED headlights are pricey.

Headlights are not really as difficult to replace as you'd think - I replaced ones on my previous car, a Mitsubishi, to stop bulbs from burning out (the OEM ones were designed to hold in heat and cook the bulbs to death). Watch some youtube videos on it, and see if it raises your confidence level. Keep in mind that most of the time when they say to remove the bumper entirely, it's not really necessary to do so, as the headlight bolts are exposed if you just move the bumper an inch or two.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't think this is any different than BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc. most modern car's headlights are going to be $1000+ and the service centers will only install new OEM parts.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think my mobile tech would take this on for me as an off-hours side job. Especially during the pandemic when Tesla can't allow any overtime. How good is your relationship with your mobile tech?

orekart

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A replacement part driver side headlight assembly for Model 3 was estimated by Progressive Insurance at $880.00 USD. The damaged assembly had to be disconnected as it failed further to water ingress as it is controlled by a LIN-CANbus shared with the Model 3 front windshield wiper; The unit would stay on constantly and interfere with function of the windshield wiper. Actual cost of the replacement part was quite a lot more than the insurance estimate not including tax or labor.

No one is price gouging you.

serpico007

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I would stick with OEM considering all the cheap knockoff products we see today. I would hate the seal to be bad and rain, water and fogging lenses issues arise.