Replace front license plate with a decal

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

ClearDarkSky

Country
Country
I actually got this idea from someone else but I can't find that post anymore. This such a great idea that I figured it was worth posting again at the risk of repeating it.
So many people are agonizing over that mount on the front sticking out and looking ugly.
The existing mount is glued on with double sided tape, so with a little care and some heat you can pull it off.
There are lots of places that make signs for cars or trucks with decals.
I found a place near where I live and asked them to make a decal copy of my license plate. I got 3 for $30. I only need one but just in case I got a couple extra.
The trickiest part is sticking it on perfectly level and centred. Masking tape is a way you can make a guide line.
Get it lined up with the backing still on and tape it on one half with some more tape. Lift up the half that's not taped down and peal off half the backing. Then stick that half to the car without making wrinkles. Then take the tape off the other side, remove the backing and stick it on.
Done. Looks great. Sorry no picture because I can't edit the photo to hide my number.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually got this idea from someone else but I can't find that post anymore. This such a great idea that I figured it was worth posting again at the risk of repeating it.
So many people are agonizing over that mount on the front sticking out and looking ugly.
The existing mount is glued on with double sided tape, so with a little care and some heat you can pull it off.
I found a place near where I live and asked them to make a decal copy of my license plate. I got 3 for $30. I only need one but just in case I got a couple extra.
The trickiest part is sticking it on perfectly level and centred. Masking tape is a way you can make a guide line.
Get it lined up with the backing still on and tape it on one half with some more tape. Lift up the half that's not taped down and peal off half the backing. Then stick that half to the car without making wrinkles. Then take the tape off the other side, remove the backing and stick it on.
Done. Looks great. Sorry no picture because I can't edit the photo to hide my number.
Is that legal in Canada? Or the US?

DinosM

Country
Country
I don't get the "hiding the numbers", everyone sees it when you drive?

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
if the OPs point was to have a more flush plate, why not just use the stock plate bracket then? this one sticks out further, and isn't included free with the car
Which stock plate bracket are you taking about? The SC glued the front license plate on the bumper for me and it looks ugly. I would prefer something that does not stick to the bumper.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Which stock plate bracket are you taking about? The SC glued the front license plate on the bumper for me and it looks ugly. I would prefer something that does not stick to the bumper.
well, that is a different conversation then. OP specifically mentioned they were looking for a more flush install than the stock bracket (which is double stick taped on, not 'glued').

ClearDarkSky

Country
Country
Is that legal in Canada? Or the US?
I have no idea if it's legal or not but I think it would be better tolerated than no plate at all. In Canada the proof of licensing is a sticker on the back plate, there is nothing special about the front plate.
I know there is at least one person in California that has done this because he posted it somewhere and gave me the idea.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know there is at least one person in California that has done this because he posted it somewhere and gave me the idea.
There are many Californians who run around with no front plate at all. The cops generally won't bug you about it unless they pull you over for some other reason.

But that doesn't make it legal. It just means that you might be able to get away with it.

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are many Californians who run around with no front plate at all. The cops generally won't bug you about it unless they pull you over for some other reason.

But that doesn't make it legal. It just means that you might be able to get away with it.
I drove around from 2006 to 2017 without a front license plate. Never had an issue. The only thing they'll give you is a fix it ticket anyway. So you have to waste some time going to show someone there is a plate.

Only reason why I stopped in 2017 was I bought a used corolla to be a filler car and it already had a front plate. My 2010 TDi had nearly 170k on it, and before that my 2006 mini cooper had about 80k on it all without a front license plate.

So it may be illegal here to run without it, but don't give the cops any reason to pull you over and you'll most likely get away without having one.

Guy Weathersby

From what I have heard, the police will almost never pull you over, but parking enforcement officers will ticket you if they are working that area.

Tzoid

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have no idea if it's legal or not but I think it would be better tolerated than no plate at all. In Canada the proof of licensing is a sticker on the back plate, there is nothing special about the front plate.
In Quebec the gouv did away with front plates years ago. Very happy they did. Cars look great. We don't have stickers either. Police have cameras in there cars that scan plates numbers as they drive around from donut shop to donut shop. All cars get scanned at one point or another. We have personalized plates since 3 weeks ago just in time for my M3 err Model 3 in case garsh reads this :D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have been thinking about this issue for a month now, since I picked up my Model 3. I have looked into having the decal made, but have read in several places that it is illegal and possibly a felony, as you are forging a government document. I still have not decided what to do yet, whether to remain plateless, use a decal, use the Tesla mount in some way, or get a 3rd party holder. I'm going to wait and see what my PPF guy says about sticking the Tesla mount on top of PPF. Or he might have some other suggestion that I haven't considered.