Remember: the rest of the world doesn't understand Tesla yet.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think this thread is rather telling. Somebody posted the $2000 price drop on Teslas to a popular deal-hunting sight. I think he posted it as an excuse to share his referral code, but that has since been removed (it's against that website's TOS as well). But it's telling to read through the comments on that deal. There are the usual Tesla fans & owners (similar to what you'll find here). There are the usual Tesla haters (as you might find on other websites where Tesla is discussed). But you'll also find a lot of posts that are just from regular people who don't know enough about them yet. There are people who don't yet know about the supercharger network. There are people who think the battery will be dead if you don't plug it in every night. It can be a bit of an eye-opener for those of us who have been hanging out here for a while.

Remember, Tesla still doesn't advertise at all. The general public either doesn't know about them, or has only ever read some click-bait article headline about Musk smoking dope.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12596707-tesla-model-3-prices-reduced-by-2-000

BW984

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had multiple people think my car is a hybrid and still takes gasoline. The existence of the supercharger network seems to be the biggest thing average people don’t have a clue about when they are discussing the car with me. I will say I’ve had more strangers talk to me about my Tesla in the past month than all my other cars combined! I haven’t met any keyboard warrior hater types in real life. Tesla’s are still pretty rare west of Fort Worth here in TX so it draws attention.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think I told the story in another thread of when I tried to get a Hess touchless carwash in Orlando, and the kiosk next to the wash wasn't working. I went inside and asked to buy a car wash, and they told me that I could buy a wash at the gas pump when I fill up. I pointed out that my car is electric. They stared at me like they had no idea what I was talking about.

What's funny is, most of the confusion I get about the Model 3 is people confusing it for the Model S. Asking me how I could possibly afford a $100,000 car. I tell them, no, this is the new cheaper model, it's less than half that price. Then they become interested in it.

So far, the only negative comments I've heard personally have to do with people who over-commoditize.

I also use Apple laptops (for work AND home), and I'm used to comments that "Why would you pay nearly $3000 for a laptop when you can buy one on ebay for less than $500?" That's based on an assumption that the only purpose for a laptop computer is to do the same basic tasks that anyone else does on a laptop, and as cheap as possible - and that anyone who pays more is throwing money away. Except I develop software with a game engine, work with 3D models, and do a lot of heavy lifting with my laptop, plus I transport it to work and back daily. The cheap ebay laptop won't last more than a couple of months doing that. A real comparable would be a Microsoft Surface Pro, along those lines. Even then the Apple is slightly overpriced, but not by much.

Getting back to how it relates to Tesla, I get similar comments like "Teslas are so overpriced, you can buy a gasoline Kia for $18,000!" Same logic there, that a car is just for basic A to B transportation and nothing else, and you're crazy for buying more than a basic rental model Kia - basic AM/FM radio and USB, maybe Bluetooth if you're lucky, 110 hp, basic 4-speed transmission, and basic cloth seats. Except it's not an equivelent model, and once you add a few comfort upgrades in, it's $25,000. And if you switch to a more powerful car so you can pass on the highway, it gets close to $33,000. Teslas are still higher because the battery costs more, but it's getting into the same neighborhood in an actual fair comparison.

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The most important thing to communicate, I think, is that range anxiety is completely countered by the miracle of home charging - leaving every morning with a full tank. “In over three months, I have not yet had to stop anywhere to charge.”

Didn’t work so well yesterday, with a guy who frequently drives to Queens, 300 miles. Stopping for a 20-minute charge was too much for him.

“Well, if you drove one for five minutes, you’d change your mind.”

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@garsh , that is very true and it is one of the reasons I am energized to share my passion for the brand and its many benefits to as many lesser knowing people as possible!

And I will continue... :)

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just added this to the comments of that SlickDeals thread:

If I want to be really honest about EV's, and Tesla ones in particular:

They are great for the daily grind, unless your work commute is unusually long. You can charge it up every night, drive to work, pick up lunch, go back to work, drive home, and never stop for fuel again. Teslas excel at that, and also at short road trips where you might have to drive an hour or two.

For longer road trips, EV's are about where gasoline vehicles were up until the mid-80's. On long trips, you had to stop for fuel on a schedule, whether you were close to full or not. If you didn't, you ran a risk of 'no gas for 100 miles'. Diesel vehicles still have that problem on long, lonely stretches of road, because not all gas stations carry diesel, but the higher mileage mitigates that a bit. So you have to follow those same rules with EV's on long road trips - charge up at every chance, because you never know.

Just like with gasoline, that's improving, except much more quickly - because charger are small, and electric infrastructure is already in place pretty much everywhere. Whereas building a gas station (or even adding diesel to an existing one) is much more difficult. Combined with rapid improvements in batteries and charge speed, it's only going to be years, not decades, before EV drivers can drive all the way down to 'E' without fear just like their gasoline powered compatriots.

Right now, though, if you want an EV and go on a lot of road trips, think of yourself as an early adopter. Plan ahead. Always charge. And you'll most likely be fine. If you don't want that kind of stress, wait a few years before jumping in, and things will be much better.

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I was charging at a Supercharger, I was chatting with a biker nearby. He asked how far the Tesla would go on a full charge and I replied 300 miles. His mood changed at that point. I asked if the rather large gas tank on his motorcycle was five gallons - recalling that many decades ago bikes I rode had 3 gallon tanks at most (early 70's).

He said it was six gallons. And I replied "So about 300 limes? "
"Yep. Then its time for a break.."
"Yep from riding and driving."

Five minutes later (total charging time of ~18 minutes) I had another 110 miles of range and was on my way.

Last edited:

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Didn’t work so well yesterday, with a guy who frequently drives to Queens, 300 miles. Stopping for a 20-minute charge was too much for him.
What might work is to ask this guy if he stopped at any point during that 300 mile drive, like to use the restroom. If he took that bio-break at a Supercharger, then he'd easily make the trip in the time he stopped normally. I was quite impressed by how easy it was to do long road trips in the Northeast, where Superchargers are common.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What might work is to ask this guy if he stopped at any point during that 300 mile drive, like to use the restroom. If he took that bio-break at a Supercharger, then he'd easily make the trip in the time he stopped normally. I was quite impressed by how easy it was to do long road trips in the Northeast, where Superchargers are common.
You can definitely make a Tesla work for long trips. But it's still less convenient than filling with gas, and some people aren't ready to make that particular compromise yet. And that's fine. When the Roadster comes out with a 600 mile range, and Supercharger V3 cuts down charging times to 20 minutes, then there will be no more downsides. Some people will just want to wait until that point before committing to such a big change.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Remember, Tesla still doesn't advertise at all. The general public either doesn't know about them, or has only ever read some click-bait article headline about Musk smoking dope.
I have a friend who finally came to to town and I got to share the Tesla experience with him. Keeping in mind he's (a nerdy open minded) truck guy who has a 'tuned' coal roller.

When I showed him autopilot, handling, and acceleration he nearly **** himself. Explaining that it cost me 1/4 the price of gasoline to charge kinda drove it home for him.

_Travis_

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think this thread is rather telling. Somebody posted the $2000 price drop on Teslas to a popular deal-hunting sight. I think he posted it as an excuse to share his referral code, but that has since been removed (it's against that website's TOS as well). But it's telling to read through the comments on that deal. There are the usual Tesla fans & owners (similar to what you'll find here). There are the usual Tesla haters (as you might find on other websites where Tesla is discussed). But you'll also find a lot of posts that are just from regular people who don't know enough about them yet. There are people who don't yet know about the supercharger network. There are people who think the battery will be dead if you don't plug it in every night. It can be a bit of an eye-opener for those of us who have been hanging out here for a while.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12596707-tesla-model-3-prices-reduced-by-2-000
When I went home over Thanksgiving, my cousin who is in engineering school was the only person in my extended family who had even heard of Tesla. Probably half of my family members couldn't even wrap their heads around the idea of an electric car.

Country
Country
Someday we’ll look back at this time as the good old days when only a few of us relished the Tesla phenomenon, while the rest of the world remained oblivious... when supercharging across the continents was an exclusive privilege... before pumping gas becomes a weird ritual of the past... before the deluge of autonomous vehicles... before summoning a driverless car to pick you up becomes the norm...

It’s like enjoying a little known paradise tucked away in a small corner of the world that only few have discovered, right before it becomes the “it” destination for millions of visitors.

There’s something profound about knowing and living ahead of your time!

Last edited:

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This thread is a great idea Garsh.
I'm going to coin a phrase "The Tesla Look"
I get it regularly and usually from a pedestrian. The first was when we were going to church the first time since we bought the car. Empty streets, one pedestrian. He just stared at us blank faced as we drove by.
We stared back in the same manner. It was weird and funny at the same time. It is probably what an alien feels like the first time he travels to Earth.
Somebody needs to get a video.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am actually used to the 'look'.. I have a Harley roadking, pretty well chromed out and when I go out
for a ride, even young kids stop and look with 'mouth agape' in awe, and it is very common for folks
even in fancy sports cars to give me the thumbs-up at a stop light etc...