Relocated off-topic conversations

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bought EAP and FSD when I got my 3 last July. No invitation to join anything. Not in early access. Updated firmware to 12.1.1 three days ago...updated again yesterday to 12.1.2.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I think we've been conditioned to settle for less quality as the focus has been shifted to maximize profit at our expense. This goes the same for many products today as well. Furniture is another big one.
Profit margins are actually smaller today, in a world flooded with cheap imported goods. And this change to lower quality goods was not forced on the consumer, the consumer demanded it (by voting with their wallets whenever there was a chance to buy a lower quality product at a lower price).

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At my age, I get more and more blanking episodes as well, usually related to my penchant for olive water.*

*i.e., vodka martinis.

On the good side, firmware 8.5 for the first time introduced screen blanking to my Model 3, and 12.1.2 has taken it away, thankfully.
Funny Sam. I used to call Martinis “liquid panty remover “.

Dale Gardner

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Profit margins are actually smaller today, in a world flooded with cheap imported goods.
Could you provide support for this? I've generally understood corporate profit margins to be strengthening. Certainly as of late, corporations are generating absolutely massive profits and then using that money on stock buybacks (in addition to the copious salaries, bonuses, and option grants already provided to the executives).

https://www.yardeni.com/pub/sp500margin.pdf

StromTrooperM3

Country
Country
Could you provide support for this? I've generally understood corporate profit margins to be strengthening. Certainly as of late, corporations are generating absolutely massive profits and then using that money on stock buybacks (in addition to the copious salaries, bonuses, and option grants already provided to the executives).

https://www.yardeni.com/pub/sp500margin.pdf
I agree with you but due to your comment being moved I'm doubtful you'll get an answer

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone! Any ideas on when the CCS adapter for the Model 3 will be available. I live in Hawaii. We do not have supper charging. So the CCS adapter will be a hit here! Thoughts?
I'm really surprised that Hawaii doesn't have supper charging, since there are no Superchargers, I'd expect everyone to plug in when they get home and then be charging during supper. ;)

Supper charging is a must better EV experience than Supercharging.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Welcome, and that looks awesome!

I'm planning to vinyl wrap my aeros with some of my matte glitter vinyl.
View attachment 25876

Same area you have painted - wrap then cut along the lines.
Then you will only need a miniature mirrored disco ball hanging from your rearview mirror to complete the look. ;)

1557786285037.png
Don't leave your other mistress out of the equation for that special night out on the town:

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My browser/adblocker (even disabled) won't render anything amazon linked in Canada...not sure what's up with that.

1557788642964.png
@TrevP Not sure if this is expected -- Even with adblockers disabled in chrome Amazon briefly flashes up in these media tags then fails.

Then you will only need a miniature mirrored disco ball hanging from your rearview mirror to complete the look. ;)

View attachment 25877
Don't leave your other mistress out of the equation for that special night out on the town:

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Statistically the odds of guessing an 8 digit number are one in a hundred million. If it is an 8 digit password (including numbers, letters, and / or special characters) the odds are one in 218 trillion. 40 digit passwords are not any more secure...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Statistically the odds of guessing an 8 digit number are one in a hundred million. If it is an 8 digit password (including numbers, letters, and / or special characters) the odds are one in 218 trillion. 40 digit passwords are not any more secure...
Sorry to say but you are at least a decade misinformed.

To break an 8 character password, it will take (1.7*10^-6 * 52^8) seconds / 2, or 1.44 years on a single-core 1.5Ghz CPU. On a GPU (or 8-core 3.5Ghz CPU) this would take about 5 days. On a supercomputer or botnet, this would take 7.6 minutes.

Password Length Time to Crack … with special character
10 characters 2 hours 1 week
11 characters 6 days 2 years
12 characters 1 year 2 centuries
13 characters 64 years
40 characters a very, very long time

When 50% of the time has passed [to 100% completion], any password is consider "Cracked". For the above example using 12 chars, that time is considered to be 0.5 years whereas 1 year means ALL combinations of 12 chars has been cracked. When using only 12 chars, the pw should be changed at least every 6 months.

I have at least 50 computers here at work with multiple 20-core CPUs and hundred+ Gigs of RAM in them that can make minced meat of 8-character salted password hashes using the full ASCII character set in less than one hour.

8-characters is so 1990's.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to say but you are at least a decade misinformed.

To break an 8 character password, it will take (1.7*10^-6 * 52^8) seconds / 2, or 1.44 years on a single-core 1.5Ghz CPU. On a GPU (or 8-core 3.5Ghz CPU) this would take about 5 days. On a supercomputer or botnet, this would take 7.6 minutes.

Password Length Time to Crack … with special character
10 characters 2 hours 1 week
11 characters 6 days 2 years
12 characters 1 year 2 centuries
13 characters 64 years
40 characters a very, very long time

When 50% of the time has passed [to 100% completion], any password is consider "Cracked". For the above example using 12 chars, that time is considered to be 0.5 years whereas 1 year means ALL combinations of 12 chars has been cracked. When using only 12 chars, the pw should be changed at least every 6 months.

I have at least 50 computers here at work with multiple 20-core CPUs and hundred+ Gigs of RAM in them that can make minced meat of 8-character salted password hashes using the full ASCII character set in less than one hour.

8-characters is so 1990's.
Hopefully Tesla’s system would not allow this type of brute force cracking.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can't we say that about every on-line system that's been hacked? "Hopefully ...". Hoping and praying are not on the Secure Settings checklist.

Bottom line is "we the user" have absolutely no control at all on how secure Teslas systems may be. Nor what software they use (and we all know there is no such thing as totally secure software, Right?). I do notice that their site is always rather slow though.

Our only available setting is to use LOOONG, complex passwords and change them frequently (>20 characters, change at least every year). And expire / change associated credit cards at least yearly.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is no guessing involved. Modern computers can process >50 million password hashes each second. 218 trillion "guesses" goes by pretty quickly..

If 8 character passwords work for you, go for it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In order to actually break the password, that computer needs access to the stored password hash.
That would require the attacker to have broken into Tesla's network and to have gained access to the password hash storage.
Which can happen (and has happened in the past). But without that access, brute forcing is not viable. The network API is too slow.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This "Relocated off-topic conversations" doesn't seem very useful. It's like the moderators want to delete posts but not deal with possible backlash of deleting posts so they just banish the posts to this thread.