Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  TrevP 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, i'm having a hard time choosing the color for my Model 3.
During the reveal i was WOW about the matte black and wanted that one. One day later i decided matt black is not going to be it due to maintenance involved.

The other colors shown so far:
* Red
* Silver
* Blue

Between the red and silver, i'm feeling much more attracted to the red color, maybe because i'm driving a titan silver BMW for the last 8 years. Even though i really like my BMW, maybe i just want a different color.

Everytime i think of going for Red i get people saying that Red will fade, cost more to repair, is a color that's more expensive, less attractive for resale, etc.

I don't care for the resale value as i'm going to keep the car for myself for a very long time and even than i don't care if i get less for it than if it would be an other color. My main concern is that i'm in love with the red one and now i'm thinking that if it would really doesn't look that nice after X ? years i could always let it repaint or wrapped.

Most people i've spoken like the Silver more.

Another problem i have is the interior color. I like the silver with the white interior, but i also heard that the white interior is showing issues more easily due to blue jeans, etc.

The blue is also nice, but i prefer the red more.

I just like the Red exterior, black interior with grey turbine wheels. The combination of the 3 colors.

I also don't mind applying an opticoat like product to keep the red in a top condition.

So durability versus the colors i love is my issue.

1) Anybody can give me advice? :)
2) What does the multi-coat red mean? Why is only the red a multi-coat?
3) Tesla seemed to offer a paint armor in the past, what is it and is it still available?
4) Which coating product would you recommend, does anybody know a good address in the Netherlands? Does Tesla offer any paint protect options?
5) I think i could more easily choose the color when i could see them in real life side by side. Maybe i need to go to Tesla in Tilburg (NL) to see colors side by side.

See less See more
#2 ·
1 personal preference - and see #5
2 most multicoats have three different layers like a colored base a tinted metallic and a tinted clear coat (instead of just a metallic base and a clear like most). Pearl White is also a multicoat
3 likely something like Opticoat
4 no idea what's available where you are. Check with some auto detail shops
5 wait until the final reveal and design studio opens to see what our color options are before you get too set on picking a color. Like the red & silver shown on the Model 3 Alphas is not the same colors as what's currently offered on the Model S/X.

#4 · (Edited)
I would go for red if it were a torch bright red. The red on the tesla s is nice by not the red this small sports sedan deserves as the model 3 is more playful.

The silver shows off the body lines of the high tech model three best.

The chrome window surrounds pop with the bright silver paint.

You are right about black. I have a black corvette and it's ridiculous to keep clean. After forty years of buying cars I finally bought my first and last black car.

Although I think silver is the best color for the model 3 as it shows off its body lines the best...I've had two silver family transports in a row. I won't go silver for the model three just for that reason alone.

I'll do bright red or white if bright torch red isn't available at the time of ordering.

Seeing the colors in person on the vehicle is paramount. Btw I don't believe with putting film on top of the paint through the aftermarket. I think it's a waste. Just wash and wax weekly with eagle one wax as you dry.

Twice a year hit the car with an orbital polisher and an adams wax kit.

I find the weekly car wash and wax takes 12 minutes flat in my corvette and the orbital polishing takes about 45 minutes twice a year.

I think that's better than those films that cover the cars paint. At least it has for me. I find the wash and wax 12 minute vehicle care very cathartic....

#7 ·
After forty years of buying cars I finally bought my first and last black car.
Ditto. I got my Leaf in black. No more black for me.
I've had two silver family transports in a row. I won't go silver for the model three just for that reason alone.
I'm in the same boat. The Dodge Intrepid I had before the Leaf was silver, and my Honda Odyssey is silver. I do love silver as a color, but I think I need to pick something else this time.
Btw I don't bolt with putting film on top of the paint through the aftermarket. I think it's a waste.
I don't know if it's a waste, but it sure is expensive. Thanks for the recommendation for the wax-as-you-dry stuff. I think I'm going to give that a shot.

Given that the Model 3 is somewhat small, and the greenhouse will be all glass, I'm thinking it should be a relatively quick vehicle to wax.

#8 ·
Mike-it's a 90. I traded the p85d in about 2 yrs ago. It's a nice car but my commute is 320m. Northern Vermont to Boston.
Work at MIT Tuesday - Friday. Genome server cluster work. When I get the 100D I'll be trading my current car in as well.
No sense in keeping it and I'm getting 89k for it. Custom paint job. I showed a picture of it to Franz and he was interested in buying it.
My Uncle did the paint work in Oregon. Took a whole week to do it.

#10 ·
OP: I think you should go with red, you seem to be leaning towards it but are only hesitating because of the possibility of it fading. Get a good UV sealer, take care of it, and enjoy it!

As for my little friend Tesla007, my favorite fictional author, lets review:

First list of contradictions @TMC posts/1649006/: (Stated he is NOT a Tesla owner, May 2016. Sold 33k shares of TSLA. Has a Porsche, a Prius, a Model S, but also won't own a hatch back, and doesn't have room for a model S)

Second list: @ TMC posts/2032728 (More repeats of the above information, 'deleted' tweets between him and Elon that no one else saw, wants NO bells & whistles but mentions extravagent car mods)
...Now, Elon is smarter than I (not by much)....
I figured we'd just start with you comparing yourself to a man who has mastered 3+ industries
Picked up 10k shrs today myself. Good discount.
~$2,500,000 worth of stock

I'm a retired investor. It's only about 1/9 of what I have in the bank.
You have approx $22,500,000. Retired...but you waste your time driving 320m 4 days a week to go to work?...
Melinda-wrong. They have changed their plans as they didn't expect this many orders. I was able to talk to Franz about this about 6 months ago.
Well connected & invested...but you have never mentioned going to ANY Tesla events.

Not according to my model S here. Stop telling lies.
I have a 85d.
85D, eh? (March 2017)
I can put in my navigation computer in the dash-custom built-did it on my s p90d.

Ordered it this morning. Delivery estimated mid May.
P90D...how many Teslas do you have and not have?! Model Schrodinger?
I agree with OP-if the next announcement doesn't sway me to keep my 2 orders-I'll get another 2Ss with largest battery packs.
100D model. Don't care about P or L.
Even though you already have a P90D? I mean 85D? Or was that no Tesla? I can't keep track
...I believe I'll be spending 57500 on the car and hopefully that will be everything I want in it.
... Today there is no reason to spend 50k on a car and no HUD.
Who cares, you're rich! You sound like you're on a tight budget... Oh, and the Model S 100D(s) you're buying don't have HUD...

Mike-it's a 90. I traded the p85d in about 2 yrs ago. It's a nice car but my commute is 320m. Northern Vermont to Boston.
Work at MIT Tuesday - Friday. Genome server cluster work. When I get the 100D I'll be trading my current car in as well.
No sense in keeping it and I'm getting 89k for it. Custom paint job. I showed a picture of it to Franz and he was interested in buying it.
My Uncle did the paint work in Oregon. Took a whole week to do it.
Ok, Mr. Genius. If you can't keep your lies straight just give up. Less that 1 year ago you never had a Tesla, but sold one 2 years ago. Then you had an 85D last month, and then it was a P90D, and now you are saying you sold the P85D (notice the change in models? it's like a slight of hand magic trick!) and replaced it with a 90D.
yup just 1 100d-I'll be getting a 3 next year for my niece graduation from pharmacy school.
on the other forum you said the other reservation was for your wife, now it's for your niece?
I will order the 3 after she graduates (waiting is better at this point with a model 3 loaded)-or she might get my p90d. Haven't decided yet. might depend on where she decides to live. Will see the 100d early May.
100D in May, that's the 3rd Tesla this year. Franz will be very upset he's not getting your super awesome custom (P)90/85D if you give it to your niece.

#11 ·
There will always be trolls and liars no matter where you go. We strive to have a responsible, friendly and tolerant community here. It's one of the main reasons I started this forum having grown frustrated with others.

Members that seem to good to be true should be pretty obvious. Don't waste your time with them, use the block option

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.