Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Red lines on map?

Resolved 
10K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  DocScott 
#1 ·
At the map, I have got some small red lines at some roads the last month. Does anyone knows what they are doing there?

#4 ·
I'm not sure it's android phones - from what I heard tesla only uses info from their own cars only to determine traffic info. Which means that almost every stop sign/light that a tesla's been stopped at will end up with a red line near it. Which makes quite a few of those red lines pretty useless.

#5 ·
I don't think so. You can tell it has accurate traffic info around my town and there is no way there is enough Tesla's around to reflect that much up to date information. I think it's all Google collected data. That can come from iPhones, Androids or Tesla's and maybe more.

There might be other bits Tesla is exclusive about relative to AP/NoA needs.

#6 ·
the traffic indications seem pretty much dead on for me. IE yesterday I was attempting to get onto a freeway (4 lanes north) and 2 blocks from the onramp all the local traffic was at a dead stop. looked at the map, the freeway at the onramp was bright red, and a mile north of the onramp dark red - then clear. three of the four lanes were blocked at that point. once I was past that spot, traffic was back up to speed.

#7 ·
I've noticed the traffic indications are usually good except in situations of true, area-wide gridlock. For example, there was a snowstorm last fall where a drive that's normally 40 minutes took me more than 7 hours--and most of that was trying to get out of the neighborhood I started in. In that situation, roads would sometimes show medium-heavy traffic on stretches that were actually super-heavy (i.e. stopped). Maybe when there's no motion at all for a long time there may not be enough devices reporting in for the traffic services to gauge the (lack of) flow? But then I'd hope it would report no data for that stretch, rather than medium-heavy traffic, which is the mistake it seems to make in that circumstance. When that happens it's not just on the display--the navigation tries to take advantage of areas of somewhat lighter traffic that don't actually exist, too.

While the snowstorm was an extreme case, I've also seen that when, e.g., leaving a fourth of July fireworks show. All roads were actually super-heavy in the area, but some showed only moderately heavy, confusing the navigation badly.

#8 ·
there are a lot of different traffic sourcing information systems out there - Waze for example is structured around community driven information of the waze users around you, so the more Wazers the better the information.

When attached to LTE, my Volvo uses Inrix to supply live traffic on the maps in the various car displays.

#9 ·
I'm not sure it's android phones - from what I heard tesla only uses info from their own cars only to determine traffic info. Which means that almost every stop sign/light that a tesla's been stopped at will end up with a red line near it. Which makes quite a few of those red lines pretty useless.
I don't find that red lines behind traffic lights are useless. It's a good indication that you will have to wait at that light. If there is another route that bypasses that light (or has orange lines, indicating less of a dead stop on average), then that is certainly helpful information both to the driver, and the traffic aware navigation system.

#12 ·
Yep, they use Google for maps & imagery.
I'm quite certain that they perform their own routing.

I haven't convinced myself of the source for their traffic data yet. I usually run Google Navigation in parallel with Tesla's navigation. Traffic seems to differ at times. It could just be some kind of reporting delay.

#13 ·
I took an alternate route home one time as a local bridge was displaying a color of red I hadn't seen before. When I got home I read that an accident on said bridge had shut it down for a good amount of time.

That being said, I do find a lot of the times my experience is similar to @Needsdecaf above. Red intersections that I drive right through with ease... it does make me curious how "live" the data is and where it comes from. I was grateful for that one day and that super dark red I'd never seen before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.