Recommended Electricians for Charger Installation

Tony_YYZ

Tesla Fanatic
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi All,

Just wondering if we could get a list going of Electricians in various part of Canada that users have used to get their HPWC, NEMA 14-50, Juicebox, etc installed at reasonable rates. I have read a lot of stories about customers being price gouged once they hear you are installing a charger for a Tesla.

Now that Model 3 is on the horizon and to help any new S & X owners it would be good to get some great contacts listed and offer them business if they are charging fair prices for quality work. I have 200a mp service to my house and would like to get a sub panel installed in the garage for a future charger or two once I order my EV of choice.
Providing that is the most reasonable course of action rather than just running a single line from the breaker panel to the garage.

If you have had any experience you would like to share please list them below and keep the following format so that it's easier to parse through. Thanks!

Work Done:
Results:
Price Paid:
(Do not have to post price if you are not comfortable)

Last edited:
Country
Country
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area use a certified or non-certified Tesla electrician to install a HPWC?
I see YouTube videos online of guys (like Now You Know) swapping out a charger or having an electrician come in to do it.

3LECTRIC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can find a list of Tesla recommended electricians in your area at https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/find-electrician

After getting quotes from Tesla recommended electricians and other electricians that said they specialized in EV charger installations, I went with Tesla recommended Signature Electric. They were very professional and worked with my property management to get the necessary approvals ready (I live in a townhouse with shared underground parking). I had my HPWC installed yesterday and the electrician was very professional and did a great job. The work is clean and tidy. Took about 5 hours with a quick break. I got a free in home consultation when I first contacted them. Out of the three Tesla recommended electricians that sent me quotes, they were the least expensive (just slightly). Overall, super pleased with their service and would recommend them.

Although a few hundred dollars more expensive than an electrician not listed on the Tesla website, it was great peace of mind to know that they were trained by Tesla and very familiar with the setup.

Electrician/Company: Signature Electric
Work Done: Install Tesla Wall Connector (I purchased from Tesla Online Store)
Results: I am ready for my Model 3!

img_6710-jpg.8198

Last edited:

MisterMatt

Country
Country
If you already have a 200 amp service and want the WC set to 48 amps this should be inexpensive. Less than $1k.
My electrician (GTA East) has come back with an estimate of 1,260 + tax to hook up the HPWC. Of note, I do have 200A service but the panel was full so they need to remove/replace some existing breakers with tandem breakers to free up space. They will be wiring for 60amp service and the run is going from basement to outside house and then 40' run to the front corner of the house where the HPWC will be installed. Also of course includes ESA inspection/etc. Seems fair, but I want to see a break down of materials / labour before I finalize.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My electrician (GTA East) has come back with an estimate of 1,260 + tax to hook up the HPWC. Of note, I do have 200A service but the panel was full so they need to remove/replace some existing breakers with tandem breakers to free up space. They will be wiring for 60amp service and the run is going from basement to outside house and then 40' run to the front corner of the house where the HPWC will be installed. Also of course includes ESA inspection/etc. Seems fair, but I want to see a break down of materials / labour before I finalize.
Sounds good! And reasonable!

Cory_YXU

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Electrian/Company: Current Electric

Work Done: Upgrade to 200amp service, whole home surge protector, ran number 3 wire 85 feet to install Wall Connector. Includes ESA certification

Results: Great crew and did a fantastic job.

Price Paid: approximately $2000

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

Electrian/Company: Current Electric

Work Done: Upgrade to 200amp service, whole home surge protector, ran number 3 wire 85 feet to install Wall Connector. Includes ESA certification

Results: Great crew and did a fantastic job.

Price Paid: approximately $2000
Does this price include the wall charging unit? Or just the electrical work and install?

Cory_YXU

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had to buy the Tesla Wall Connector separately from Tesla.

I had a few other quotes that ranged from $3200-3800 plus the wall connector.

Robert at Current Electric was a pleasure to deal with. Highest rated Google rating in London . Great service and reasonable prices.

Daliman

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had 3 quotes in Mississauga. All between 1400-1500. Already have 200 amp service and the run to the garage is fairly open. Went with Plugz who are coming Monday to do the instal as they were the quickest to give availability. Will let you know how it goes.

victor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had 3 quotes in Mississauga. All between 1400-1500. Already have 200 amp service and the run to the garage is fairly open. Went with Plugz who are coming Monday to do the instal as they were the quickest to give availability. Will let you know how it goes.
Did you talk to BracerEV? They're offering $850 installation with a maximum of 40 ft of wire.

https://bracerev.com/charger-installation/

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I used "The Electrical Works Limited". Wayne Lewis came to my house (in Brampton) and gave an estimate.
I have a 100 Amp service and had a 60 Amp breaker installed (to provide the Max 48A to the Model 3). I have a gas stove and dryer.

Wayne did warn me that there was a possibility that the inspector would have a problem with the load. He suggested that I download my hourly electrical use over the past year (from my electricity provider) and I found that my peak use was well below the load max for the panel (even with the 48A charger).

The run from the panel to the garage was about 40 feet. Final price was $1370 after tax. The installation took about 4 hours and the electrician was very thorough. The inspector did his own calculation with the download file and confirmed that peak use was well below 100A. The install was certified.

I would highly recommend the company. Good experience all around (and since they did a site visit before giving the estimate I knew that there would be no surprises).

Now all I have to do is wait for the car to arrive (hopefully sooner than later).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had my HPWC install completed mere minutes ago. They ran cable from garage to panel in the basement and replaced some breakers with tandems to make room. I'm in Burlington, ON and used Calibre Electric. Paid a little over $1k and the guys did a terrific job (subjectively I guess, since the ESA inspector gets the last word!)

sean_white

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I finally had my install done early this week. I'm on 100A at max load, so I had a charge controller installed on a 50A breaker. The charge controller monitors the mains and will switch off the charger if the panel load goes above 80A.

I had Joey from Power it Up do the install and he did a great job. He has done a lot of these in Ottawa already. Also, his prices are very reasonable compared to other quotes I received for the same work.

416m3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey I had a local electrician install the charger for just over $1k, everyone else quoted me $1200-1300.

Mind you my job was pretty simple, just had to run a line from basement to garage and didn't need to add anything extra to my box. Glad he charged me a fair price. He's in Mississauga but I think he'll service from Burlington to Scarborough, I'm in Etobicoke.

If you want his contact, you can PM me.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Electrian/Company: TDR Electric
Work Done: Supply and mounted Tesla wall connector to garage. Ran into a hiccup where my main box was not equipped for 60v (older townhouse). Had to run a line from 2nd floor down to 1st floor taking a little longer in labor time. I'm definitely not being specific enough not knowing much about electrical. All in all it took close to 6 hours. I blame the old townhouse.
Results: Excellent work and patience from their staff.
Price Paid: Originally quoted 1640 Tax in. Added labor came to 1877CAD. I figured with the incentive for BC homes up to 750CAD back (which is not available anymore) it was a solid deal.

KICKER:
TDR pre-bought all the Tesla chargers so their price included the 750CAD charger. Highly recommend them!

Steve Duc

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
OMG you guys are paying a lot. It cost me about $275 US including materials, not the Tesla wall connector. But my wall connector was about 5 feet from the panel box. Garage had open framing. So just had to install a 60 amp fuse, then run the conduit to the wall connector. Pretty simple and straightforward. The electrician charged $75/hour.