Recommendations going from 1 to 2 Teslas

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Alright friends, we're in the final stages of getting my wife on board with ordering a Model 3. I want to be prepared. I have a Nema 14-50 outlet in the garage and charge my car with the supplied UMC.

I subsequently have won 2 Signature Black HPWC's from the referral program (though it may be months before they arrive).

Is my best course of action to replace the Nema 14-50 outlet with 2 daisy chained HPWC's? Florida does not have variable pricing on electricity so slower charge rates won't matter for us. A typical day for each of us is 60-70 miles on both cars. My Nema 14-50 uses 6 AWG wire with a 50A breaker. It looks like a 50A breaker on the HPWC will yield 40A, 9.6kW and 37 miles of range on Model 3 per hour. Split in half that means each car getting roughly 18 miles of range and given our daily driving habits a full charge in 4 hours or less. So the big question is this -- does 6 AWG wire work on the HPWC?

Given the range on Model 3 and our daily drives we could also just charge each car every other day on the Nema 14-50 and not touch a thing ;)

Thanks in advance for your advice and thoughts!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
does 6 AWG wire work on the HPWC
yes, that is what mine is using on a 50a breaker, but may need to be larger if you were to locate one of the WC (it hasn't been a HWWC since 2016) further from the panel.

BUT, I think you can also use 6ga for a 60a circuit. if that is correct, I'd swap out the breaker to get just that little bit more

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’d say the cheapest solution is to just share the UMC (plenty quick to charge two cars at your usage level), and sell the HPWCs! Of course, you would have to remember to go out and swap the plug between cars each evening, but shouldn’t be too bad. Set an Alexa reminder! Or like you said, even days are his, odd days are hers. Use the money from selling one HPWC to buy another UMC, so you always have one in the car too, just in case.

That’s what I would do, but then I am not Teslatunity! ;)

slacker775

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I only have one 3 :( and just a 30A connection using the UMC. I don’t charge daily, typically every 2-3 days. I’m wanting to add another Tesla down the road after the wife’s car is paid off and the oldest kid starts driving - no, the Tesla would NOT be for the kid! In all reality, we could still get by with the 30A UMC and be OK.

My more ideal scenario that won’t be happening with my current main panel would be a 100 circuit and 2 WC’s so we can both charge at a nice rate but you can’t have everything in life.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’d say the cheapest solution is to just share the UMC (plenty quick to charge two cars at your usage level), and sell the HPWCs! Of course, you would have to remember to go out and swap the plug between cars each evening, but shouldn’t be too bad. Set an Alexa reminder! Or like you said, even days are his, odd days are hers. Use the money from selling one HPWC to buy another UMC, so you always have one in the car too, just in case.

That’s what I would do, but then I am not Teslatunity! ;)
People are reporting the HPWC takes 8 months to arrive so given that we would clearly get car #2 before that arrives.

You suggestion would be our likely starting point. At 30 miles per hour my car is usually fully charged by 8:30 pm and I could easily switch cars running off the same Nema 14-50 with UMC and it wouldn’t be much of an inconvenience.

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sell the WC's, and buy a gen 1 mobile charger like I did, for $300. Keep the gen 2 that come with the model 3's in each car. The 50 amp NEMA 14-50 allows the gen 1 to deliver 40 amps, 25% more than the gen2. And who doesn't like charging faster?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Any plans on moving? If not and you like the signature black WC's (they are signed by Elon right?) they would be pretty sharp on the wall. Use the existing wiring, daisy change the second one as allowed, and upgrade the breaker by 10 amps - you can plug both cars in and life is good. You don't have to worry about who is plugged in and who isn't. Both cars stay connected to juice which is what Tesla recommends. If one car needs a long trip and you want to go to 100% juice or if you've come in from a trip and one car is depleted, just unplug the second car so the one that needs more juice gets it quicker (or hopefully the chargers will know the other car is charged and directs all the juice to the second car, I think that is how it is advertised they work.).

Everyone budgets and spends differently, but assuming you've got 2 model 3's in the garage and you are the Tesla fan you are, I figure the 2 signature WC's are much better off on your wall than a $1000 or so in your pocket from selling them. It would be different if you were looking to spend $1000 to buy them, I'd think of another solution, but these arrive free of charge, I would use them.

EDIT - Forgot to add, than until the 2 WC's arrive, I'd survive on the one 14-50 and UMC switching between cars.

Last edited:

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
@SoFlaModel3,

Go BIG or go home...lol. I would go with #2 AWG Cu fed to one HPWC as a Master, the the second HPWC as the slave Daisy chained by the Tesla recommended #18 AWG communications link between them. They talk to each other as you know and the 3 that needs the higher charge rate uses it and then the rate on the lower Ramps up.
Also need to run it off a dual pole 100A breaker from your main. Look you saved $1,000 on both Wall Chargers autographed by Elon (I’m Jelly) so I’d spend alittle to wire them up to code and “Life is good”!!!:)

Ski

Last edited:

MartyF

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
@SoFlaModel3

I agree with @GDN and @Skione65.

You would really have a Flagship setup using both of those signature black WC’s in your garage. Long-term, I think the satisfaction you will receive from that kind of setup makes it the way to go.

I would love to have the opportunity to purchase a signature black WC. But alas, I am not worthy ;)

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My install has #6 wire for 60A service feeding the HPWC. Limits to 60A.
You're only supposed to use up to 80% of the circuit's rating for continuous loads. #6 wire with a 60 amp breaker means you should set your HPWC to 48 amps max, not 60 amps.

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You're only supposed to use up to 80% of the circuit's rating for continuous loads. #6 wire with a 60 amp breaker means you should set your HPWC to 48 amps max, not 60 amps.
I answered the question about 6AWG wire. I didn't state what the selector switch inside the wall connector was set to . ;)

Which is set appropriately for a M3 .

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sell the WC's, and buy a gen 1 mobile charger like I did, for $300. Keep the gen 2 that come with the model 3's in each car. The 50 amp NEMA 14-50 allows the gen 1 to deliver 40 amps, 25% more than the gen2. And who doesn't like charging faster?
gen 1 is better than gen 2? That's odd.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
gen 1 is better than gen 2? That's odd.
Well, it's a tradeoff.

gen2 MC is much cheaper at $300 (vs CMC at $520, and the gen1 UMC was $650)
gen2 MC has many more adapters available. CMC only has NEMA 15-40.