Recent Battery Degradation (only 5k miles)

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am wondering if the new higher reports are correcting an inaccuracy or maybe, ensuring people stop complaining about lower charge stats.

Prior to 42.3, 90% for me was usually 275-277 miles.
Since 42.3, 90% for me was/is exactly 279 miles, 3 times.

Unplugged today, drove 24.3 miles at 233 wh/m, and the screen shows 251 miles remaining.
24+251=275 miles

Did I really have 279 to start?

Brentt

We've put 20,000 miles on our car, and since new have charged it daily to 90% @ 279-281 miles.
At about 15,000 miles the range dropped to 265 at 90%.
With colder weather I have begun charging to 80% in the evening, and in the morning charging the extra 10%.
Doing this I've increased the rated range to from 265 to 275 at 90%

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My Model 3 will no longer charge to 310 miles. I have noticed this degradation for the past 2 months, especially when taking trips.
Full charge now shows only 282 miles. Previously, full charge would show 293. Was 310 when we got the car in September, 2018.
Sent info by email to Orlando Service Center, no reply in 2 days.
8149 miles on odometer.

Attachments

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Model 3 will no longer charge to 310 miles. I have noticed this degradation for the past 2 months, especially when taking trips.
Full charge now shows only 282 miles. Previously, full charge would show 293. Was 310 when we got the car in September, 2018.
8149 miles on odometer.
Have you charged from a low SoC (<20%) to high SoC (>89%)?

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
8149 miles on odometer.
My first guess is that you consistently charge to a non-full level(60,70,80%) and never discharge to any where near 0%. My understanding is that, in order to "calibrate" the battery, you should periodically(quarterly?) discharge to 5% or less and periodically charge to 95% or more. This let's the battery know where the max is. Your battery has become "confused". Discharge it below 5% two or three times and recharge to max and it will "relearn" it's capacity.

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What happened to my battery? My car was in service for two weeks to fix the paint chips found at delivery, I get it back, and now a 100% charge is 274 miles. Maybe I shouldn't have let my car sit at 100% for five hours. I let the battery drain down to about 16% and then charged to 95%. I'll keep doing that as driving patterns allow. I don't think it did any balancing, because charging from 90-95% took about the same amount of time as from 85-90%. I did send an email to Tesla asking, "WTF?"

Based on what Teslafi reports, I put in 53.6 kWh to raise the battery from 16-95%. That suggests a total battery capacity of about 68 kWh.
fusioncharts-png.24738

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Heard back from Tesla, and they first said that the distance I get from a charge depends on many factors. I replied and explained I wasn't talking about the actual miles driven, but the number of miles the car thinks is available. They did seem to understand then, and said that the logs do not show anything wrong, but if my range continues to decrease I should contact service.

At the moment I'm at 88% of original capacity after 6 months and 6000 miles. I'm hoping that it really is just the BMS with a bad estimate, but I am concerned about the sudden drop. If it continues to drop at this rate, I'll hit my 70% warranty level in just a few charges.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What happened to my battery? My car was in service for two weeks to fix the paint chips found at delivery, I get it back, and now a 100% charge is 274 miles. Maybe I shouldn't have let my car sit at 100% for five hours. I let the battery drain down to about 16% and then charged to 95%. I'll keep doing that as driving patterns allow. I don't think it did any balancing, because charging from 90-95% took about the same amount of time as from 85-90%. I did send an email to Tesla asking, "WTF?"

Based on what Teslafi reports, I put in 53.6 kWh to raise the battery from 16-95%. That suggests a total battery capacity of about 68 kWh.
View attachment 24738

That's a VERY sudden drop! I wonder if something happened to cause a bad module or the BMS calibration got seriously out of whack. Keep us posted on your attempts to recover that because it looked absolutely fine prior to it.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country

View attachment 24738
Not only is the recent drop strange, but you were in the low 290’s with less than 2000 miles. No idea if it’s a real problem with the battery or the BMS, but I would squawk.

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's quite possible you have a defective pack where the bonds might've come off.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148848-9999.pdf

The only thing that makes the data weird is that you had 310/miles capacity at some point which means it could still be a software issue.
My car certainly falls in that build range, but I hope if it's one of the affected VINs, Tesla would have said something. With the long battery warranty, I'm not really concerned about losing 12% of the range every 6 months. What does concern me is that it looses 25% of the range, or something, and then stabilizes before forcing a warranty replacement. It's bounced back a bit, so now I'm at 90% of the original range, but based on the data I have, I'd just call that change "noise."

NickyM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess I'm not alone in this. I too noticed after recent updates my car always got 279 miles of range exact when charging to the recommended daily driving limit. Now it's 272 at that limit. Very tiny difference. I do drive my performance aggressively and have to leave it parked outside with overheat protect since I have a condo.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

View attachment 24738
I had something similar show last fall after a FW update (2018.39.7), then the next FW (2018.42.4) returned it to the prior levels. was there a FW update where the drop happened?
screen-shot-2019-04-19-at-6-28-54-am-png.24972

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had something similar show last fall after a FW update (2018.39.7), then the next FW (2018.42.4) returned it to the prior levels. was there a FW update where the drop happened?
The car sat off a charger in service for two weeks, received the 2019.8.5 update, was charged a bit, and during that time went from a full charge being 302 miles to a full charge being 274 miles. It's impossible for me to say when exactly the range loss occurred, because no data was being collected during the time period it happened. If it really is a fault in the battery, then it could have happened at any time. If it is software related, then it probably happened with the firmware update, but there is no way to tell.

On the prior firmware that gave the LR RWD (and other?) cars a range bump, this car lost indicated range, so perhaps it was an ongoing problem, which was masked? Who knows.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the prior firmware that gave the LR RWD (and other?) cars a range bump, this car lost indicated range, so perhaps it was an ongoing problem, which was masked? Who knows.
Yours is awd, right?
Mine also has gone down in estimated range since the 5.15 and 8.x releases. (But the equivalence of 4or 5 miles

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called customer service this week with the same issue. My 100% range estimate dropped from 305 to 290 with the 8.5 SW update. They said this is a known issue and they are working on a fix. Even after the fix it might take 3 weeks to re-calibrate. Given this plus the other buggy stuff in 8.5 i cant wait for the next update.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm only getting 285 miles at 100% charge. Even with the new update. Service said it will recalibrate in 3 to 4 weeks. Everything else seems fine. I have a dual motor long range VIN in the