Recent Battery Degradation (only 5k miles)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

markrodg

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently became aware that an 80% charge is only reporting 236 miles. Used to be 248. I only noticed it within the past few days so I checked the battery degradation report on TeslaFi which shows a very marked drop in estimated range during that time. I contacted Tesla this morning who said it could be attributed to driving habits and the algorithm accounting for those habits. There were no alerts they could see regarding the battery pack.

The only thing different the past few days is I've been parking in the sun with overheat protection turned on rather than in the garage and overheat protection manually turned off. I've had overheat protection on for several days before and this has never happened. Perhaps the algorithm changed in 36.2?
fusioncharts-png.15273

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently became aware that an 80% charge is only reporting 236 miles. Used to be 246. I only noticed it within the past few days so I checked the battery degradation report on TeslaFi which shows a very marked drop in estimated range during that time. I contacted Tesla this morning who said it could be attributed to driving habits and the algorithm accounting for those habits. There were no alerts they could see regarding the battery pack.

The only thing different the past few days is I've been parking in the sun with overheat protection turned on rather than in the garage and overheat protection manually turned off. I've had overheat protection on for several days before and this has never happened. Perhaps the algorithm changed in 36.2?
View attachment 15273
I've also noticed a drop in my reported range @ 90% charge in the last week. Up until a week ago, I would normally see a range of 446-449 kms when I reached my charge limit of 90%. This week, it's now started reporting only 435-438 kms range @ 90% charge. I assume this is because of the lower fall temps these days?

I'm also running Version 2018.36.2 and just past 10,000 km recently.

KFORE

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've lost ~3% as well, with only 2.4k miles on FW 36.2. Sometimes it goes back up, but comes down again. Seems to fluctuate for me. Not sure why, but I try not to worry about it too much. Interested to see if V9 changes estimation at all.

markrodg

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in Phoenix and the high temps have “dipped” into the low 100’s this past week. I don’t think my degradation can be attributed to lower temps. :)

I’ve been charging nightly even after only driving 40-60 miles a day.

On recommendation from service, I’m going to drive it down to about 30-50 miles remaining and then charge it back up to 80%. Hoping that will reset the estimates.

Li3m

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
[....]
I’ve been charging nightly even after only driving 40-60 miles a day.

On recommendation from service, I’m going to drive it down to about 30-50 miles remaining and then charge it back up to 80%. Hoping that will reset the estimates.
Mine does the exact same thing. I'm in Southern California and I drive 70mi (112km) daily, too. My calculated max range is only 298mi (479km) now, and I'm at 4100+ miles (6598km). It used to be 310mi (499km) for the first 1000mi (1600km), roughly. But, I don't know if my car can get to the advertised range. I tried it once at my work's ChargePoint (J1772, Level 2) from ~45%. I got up to only 305mi (490km). The car said it's @100% :(

I like the advice from the Service Center. I'm going to try it too and see what happens.

Thank you for the info.

P.S. Thought I saw someone posted a graph that shows it drops upto 7%(?) for the first 5000mi (8000km) then levels out.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine does the exact same thing. I'm in Southern California and I drive 70mi (112km) daily, too. My calculated max range is only 298mi (479km) now, and I'm at 4100+ miles (6598km). It used to be 310mi (499km) for the first 1000mi (1600km), roughly. But, I don't know if my car can get to the advertised range. I tried it once at my work's ChargePoint (J1772, Level 2) from ~45%. I got up to only 305mi (490km). The car said it's @100% :(

I like the advice from the Service Center. I'm going to try it too and see what happens.

Thank you for the info.

P.S. Thought I saw someone posted a graph that shows it drops upto 7%(?) for the first 5000mi (8000km) then levels out.
If you got to 305 mi, that's only 5 mi under the advertised max of 310 mi. Seems like a normal fluctuation if it's such a small difference.

Li3m

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's true. Thanks @babula. That makes me feel better. I shouldn't be that picky because it is still the best car in its segment, in my opinion. I'm glad I bought the LR (wish I can afford the AWD like yours)

@markrodg, I ran my car down to 12% (36mi / 58km) last night and supercharged it to 79% (237mi / 381km). That computes to ~300mi / 483km at 100%. So there. That's our range approaching 5000mi / 8000km or 10.000 kilometers/6200mi. But it should be stabilized now, according to others' posts I've read.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's some data collected that shows:
1. Battery degradation occurs the fastest during the first 50,000 miles
2. You're likely never going to hit the warranty limit of below 70% of original range

Yes, this is longer term data collected on Model S and X and the Model 3 has a different cell, but we should expect the same or better

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/16/tesla-battery-packs-live-longer/

https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/

By the way, here's what my battery report looks like, I'm not worried at all:

screenshot-16-png.15628

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All these sudden range drop-offs smell more like a software glitch, or revision, than actual degradation. It would be unusual for batteries to degrade so suddenly.

Model3VT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have lost 8-9% on my battery since pick up. Also, does anyone know of any issues with the 12V battery? Tesla says they are going to replace mine when doing another repair but I am not sure why.

Li3m

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I read that it’s bad to go below 20% how often is it OKIsh?
I also read that once in a while is okay. I think the manual says to keep the battery between 50-90% for daily driving - if possible, and that we can charge it to 100% and let it dip low for long trips. In fact, I learned from veteran Tesla owners here that the shortest charge time at a supercharger station is when your battery is at 5-10% and you charge to 80%. And I saw exactly that on that Friday. I got 200mi/322km in 40 minutes!

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As of today, at around 5,500 miles driven, 4 months out of the box, calculated range is 288.

Was 310 at first, for a little bit when I first got it, then started dropping. Temps have been in the high 80's, to mid 70's this entire time. It's not a temp thing, therefore.

This represents an observed degradation of 7% after 5,500 miles. This seems like too much in too short of a time, after too few miles.

Displayed range is supposed to be Rated Range, calculated using a constant, and not variable due to driving habits / energy usage. As noted above, temperature is not an issue. So that leaves degradation or an unbalanced battery pack as the culprit. Or bad pack.

I re-balanced about a week ago, cycling from 15-ish% back up to 100%. It temporarily got me up to a 300 mi range.

After a week, it's back down, lower than ever to 288.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also realized I had a very sudden 4% drop on my range on Teslafi, down to 298 mi. It should be somewhat linear or curved, not a sudden drop, I wonder if a software update changed the algorithm and it starts to count your driving style instead of Tesla's milage rating?

screen-shot-2018-10-12-at-12-22-17-am-png.15904

Last edited:

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also realized I had a very sudden 4% drop on my range on Teslafi, down to 298 mi. It should be someone linear or curved, not a sudden drop, I wonder if a software update changed the algorithm and it starts to count your driving style instead of Tesla's milage rating?

View attachment 15904
Wow, that is a sudden drop. I haven’t been using anything like Teslafi. Do you think it’s been worth it? Seems like it would be, even if just to have this info to show the SC.

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow, that is a sudden drop. I haven’t been using anything like Teslafi. Do you think it’s been worth it? Seems like it would be, even if just to have this info to show the SC.
To be frank, I too was hesitant getting something like TeslaFi, but having used it for a month now, can definitely say that it is a good log book for the vehicle. It's excellent if you want to know what the car has done, the information is presented in a simple user-friendly way. You can get a free month trial with a referral... there are at least 2 referral codes(usernames:p) on this page itself. If you choose to get it, I would suggest you do not share your password, just generate and provide a token for which instructions can be found here

I also realized I had a very sudden 4% drop on my range on Teslafi, down to 298 mi. It should be someone linear or curved, not a sudden drop, I wonder if a software update changed the algorithm and it starts to count your driving style instead of Tesla's milage rating?
This is very strange - have temperatures dropped considerably? I noticed a slight drop on 36.2(see 9/24 and 9/26 which was at a lower temp too), but what I did was not charge until the levels went down to 35-40% a couple of times. I think that helped rebalance the cells and the numbers are back up to what I was originally seeing. Also, I've never charged the car after it has been idle for a while like a scheduled charge at night. I remember reading somewhere that it is always good to charge right away after a trip since the battery is at an optimal temperature.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Teslafi is downright addicting...I love analyzing all my drives and charges and looking at the pretty maps...give me more data!

This is very strange - have temperatures dropped considerably? I noticed a slight drop on 36.2(see 9/24 and 9/26 which was at a lower temp too), but what I did was not charge until the levels went down to 35-40% a couple of times. I think that helped rebalance the cells and the numbers are back up to what I was originally seeing. Also, I've never charged the car after it has been idle for a while like a scheduled charge at night. I remember reading somewhere that it is always good to charge right away after a trip since the battery is at an optimal temperature.
I can't imagine battery range is tied to temperature, or it would be varying drastically every day. It was both in the 80s and in the 40s this week. This more like the algorithm was rewritten. There was no significant temp change or driving event on the days around the sudden drop.

Vin

Country
Country
I just checked my range today at 50%. I was 2 miles over the estimate at 157 miles instead of 155. Not sure why but in case this helps...
I keep my battery between 30-80% (usually charging around 40% at 32A even though I can go to 40A, but just don't)
I do have fast bursts while driving but most of the time I'm pretty even keel, smooth in traffic with an occasional zoom on a straightaway or hill and to get ahead of car into a lane but have had MANY speedy bursts giving ppl a test drive or when it's safe to do for fun :)
I have almost 4,000 miles on the car, keep overheat protection on (AC), and it was a hot summer in Philly.
I average between 233-255 Wh/mi and have driven with the AC (auto climate) on 95% of the time since July.
I'm on 36.2 and VIN (27XXX) and don't use any Tesla 3rd party apps.

Last edited: