Reboot when removing USB flashdrive

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

pinkfloyd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2 week old Mod 3 with latest software rel.
I have formatted 64GB USB drive as FAT32 for dashcam

I am seeing frequent resets of the touchscreen display a) when trying to pull the USB drive out (when parked) and b) when I touch the dashcam icon on display to download current recording to flash drive (while driving).

Also anyone know how to read the files on a mac? See srceenshot below

Attachments

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those REC files are not "recording" - those are recovery files for bad sectors. You have a defective USB drive! It either needs reformatting (in FAT32 format with Master Boot Record partition) or replacing.

The mp4 file is a standard format and will play with Quicktime, VLC, Preview (I think?), or in most web browser windows.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The presence of .Rec files on their own doesn't necessarily mean the USB drive itself is bad, they can also be a side effect of the drive not being cleanly unmounted when the car shuts down.

That said, the fact that the whole touchscreen restarts is concerning, and trying a different USB drive would be a good test to determine whether the drive itself is causing the issue.