Rear window distortion - almost like a Fresnel lens

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If the distortion isn't due to heat, then why would the distortion only appear with the defroster on? I suspect the refractive indices of the different layers in the laminated glass aren't changing uniformly with heat.
agree, I don't notice any distortion when the rear defrost is off, or still warming up (maybe because it is still foggy), but once the window is fully heated and the glass is clear of any fog, the view is slightly distorted.
My previous cars did not have laminated rear glass, so did not notice any change between the defroster being on/warm or off/cold.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not sure if it's true on every car, but for at least a number of us, the rear window looks kind of wavy/distorted when looking out the rearview mirror. This happens after the rear defroster has been on for several minutes regardless of whether the window was fogged or not. The laminated glass seems to optically distort along the defroster lines due to the heat.
agree, I don't notice any distortion when the rear defrost is off, or still warming up (maybe because it is still foggy), but once the window is fully heated and the glass is clear of any fog, the view is slightly distorted.
My previous cars did not have laminated rear glass, so did not notice any change between the defroster being on/warm or off/cold.
I moved this discussion to an existing thread on rear-window distortion. In particular, see @Triangles' detailed post here describing the cause of the distortion, why it appears to be more pronounced on the Model 3 than on other vehicles, and why Tesla may have decided to manufacture the rear glass this way.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I moved this discussion to an existing thread on rear-window distortion. In particular, see @Triangles' detailed post here describing the cause of the distortion, why it appears to be more pronounced on the Model 3 than on other vehicles, and why Tesla may have decided to manufacture the rear glass this way.
I'll just add, I don't find the distortion to be an issue or otherwise problematic. if anything it is a reminder that my rear defrost was forgotten and left on beyond it being needed.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't agree with moving this to the distortion thread. Maybe I wasn't too clear of my intent by posting in the other thread, but I wasn't intending to complain about the distortion or get into the reasons for it. I was trying to give @nonStopSwagger a tip for diagnosing whether the defroster works by simply looking for this distortion. No need to start with a fogged window, just turn the defroster on and look for this distortion after a few minutes.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't agree with moving this to the distortion thread. Maybe I wasn't too clear of my intent by posting in the other thread, but I wasn't intending to complain about the distortion or get into the reasons for it. I was trying to give @nonStopSwagger a tip for diagnosing whether the defroster works by simply looking for this distortion. No need to start with a fogged window, just turn the defroster on and look for this distortion after a few minutes.
Sorry, when I first read your post (and the replies that followed), I didn't make that connection back to the OP's issue. Thanks for clarifying and tagging nonStopSwagger.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry, when I first read your post (and the replies that followed), I didn't make that connection back to the OP's issue. Thanks for clarifying and tagging nonStopSwagger.
Not a problem at all. After rereading my original post, I realize it was poorly phrased. I didn't spell out my troubleshooting suggestion and it reads like a typical problem report.

And a BIG thanks to you and the other mods for keeping this forum orderly, friendly, and helpful!