Rear window distortion - almost like a Fresnel lens

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Maxx77

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Were you able to tell before you accepted? I pick mine 14592 Thursday and I'd like to refuse delivery instead of scheduling a fix after the fact.
I didn't notice it when I picked it up. It only became apparent when I got on the interstate and started looking at the vehicles behind me through the rear mirror. Now that it's sitting in my garage, I once again don't notice it.

I will say this, if you decide to refuse delivery, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be able to fix your issue(s) right away. I had some other defects, mainly with paint chips and scratches, that they said they would fix but they would contact me to schedule it later. I wouldn't have gained any time by not taking it home. If you need your rear window replaced, I would expect they'll have to order one first. Maybe the others who've had theirs replaced can chime in on that though. I'm hoping that doesn't take too long.

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
I didn't notice it when I picked it up. It only became apparent when I got on the interstate and started looking at the vehicles behind me through the rear mirror. Now that it's sitting in my garage, I once again don't notice it.

I will say this, if you decide to refuse delivery, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be able to fix your issue(s) right away. I had some other defects, mainly with paint chips and scratches, that they said they would fix but they would contact me to schedule it later. I wouldn't have gained any time by not taking it home. If you need your rear window replaced, I would expect they'll have to order one first. Maybe the others who've had theirs replaced can chime in on that though. I'm hoping that doesn't take too long.
Yeah, but I'd still rather refuse than pay money for a defective car, even if it means waiting. If they never fix, I'm not out the cash.

Dangermouse

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Got my car today (yay!) and it definitely has this issue too (boo). It’s like the glass is stepped at the defroster lines.
VIN 10k

Will wait to see if I see anything else in the next few days before I talk to Tesla.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah, but I'd still rather refuse than pay money for a defective car, even if it means waiting. If they never fix, I'm not out the cash.
You may be out $3,500 in that case for outright refusing delivery. Not sure...

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m just curious about the warranty. The defects in workmanship are covered under the 4 year 50000 mile warranty. So if you found on delivery that the rear window has distortion or some other minor defect(s) that do not affect safety, why wouldn’t you just do a thorough inspection and document everything, then book a service appointment? I understand if the vehicle has more serious damage, you probably shouldn’t take delivery, but I’ve bought new vehicles with minor paint chips and the dealership fixed those items or gave me some free service as compensation.
I would rather take delivery and fix the minor defects than wait for another vehicle (depending on the severity of the defect, i.e. the doors, hood, rear trunk won’t close), which doesn’t save you time.

I get that we are trying to hold Tesla responsible for their product but, you accomplish the same thing by making them honor the warranty. In all likelyhood, even in a car delivered without any obvious defects, you will still find minor defects after a few days or weeks that will need to be addressed in any case. Just my 2 bits.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m just curious about the warranty. The defects in workmanship are covered under the 4 year 50000 mile warranty. So if you found on delivery that the rear window has distortion or some other minor defect(s) that do not affect safety, why wouldn’t you just do a thorough inspection and document everything, then book a service appointment? I understand if the vehicle has more serious damage, you probably shouldn’t take delivery, but I’ve bought new vehicles with minor paint chips and the dealership fixed those items or gave me some free service as compensation.
I would rather take delivery and fix the minor defects than wait for another vehicle (depending on the severity of the defect, i.e. the doors, hood, rear trunk won’t close), which doesn’t save you time.

I get that we are trying to hold Tesla responsible for their product but, you accomplish the same thing by making them honor the warranty. In all likelyhood, even in a car delivered without any obvious defects, you will still find minor defects after a few days or weeks that will need to be addressed in any case. Just my 2 bits.
You are 100% right. I would assume (that’s all I can do) is that anyone refusing the car isn’t sold on the fact that Tesla can correct the issue(s) with their car and thus want them fixed before committing to a depreciating asset and an expensive one at that. Nothing wrong with that. Alternatively if you’re comfortable with Tesla’s ability to fix and issue(s) are cosmetic in nature I would say there is no reason not to take the car especially if your financing and insurance are negatively impacted by a delay in the transaction.

Phil Kulak

Country
Country

Maybe I'm just not as trusting as you, but slight optical distortion in the rear window seems like something easily not covered under warranty. "Sorry, that's just how the window is designed", etc. A paint chip, scratch, and all those things are impossible to deny.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Maybe I'm just not as trusting as you, but slight optical distortion in the rear window seems like something easily not covered under warranty. "Sorry, that's just how the window is designed", etc. A paint chip, scratch, and all those things are impossible to deny.
Given that many have confirmed (myself included) to not have this issue, I think you can rest assured this issue is not intentional design and should/will be corrected under warranty for sure.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I believe that the early Model X had an issue with the windshield causing ghosting at night. The windshields were replaced by Tesla under warranty. Defects in materials are covered in the warranty and if enough customers are reporting the issue, I dont see how Tesla can deny there is an issue. Not necessarily trusting but willing to give them a chance to correct the defects.

Maxx77

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I reported my issue with the rear window today, haven't heard back yet on how they're going to address it. I agree that it should be something the warranty would cover. You could easily make the case it's a safety issue as it directly affects visibility. Not that this car has much rearward visibility in the first place (surprisingly, to me at least), but what you can see should be clear from the driver seat.

McHoffa

EV.network
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My car has this as well. VIN 88XX, picked up 3/31. I took video to send to my SC and they immediately said they’d replace it. I told them I’d probably wait a couple weeks but now that my frunk won’t open and my laptop is inside, they’ll probably be getting my car sooner than planned

Maxx77

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My car has this as well. VIN 88XX, picked up 3/31. I took video to send to my SC and they immediately said they’d replace it. I told them I’d probably wait a couple weeks but now that my frunk won’t open and my laptop is inside, they’ll probably be getting my car sooner than planned
Wow, sorry to hear about your laptop being trapped in there. I just happened to transport my laptop today, but I put it in the back. My rationale is A) the frunk is really hard to close (mine is anyway) and B) if I get in a forward collision, I don't want my laptop absorbing the impact. A rear collision is just as likely I guess, but that seems safer to me.

Please let us know what they intend to do about it when they do get back to you.
My replacement window has been ordered. No ETA yet on when it'll be here.

McHoffa

EV.network
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wow, sorry to hear about your laptop being trapped in there. I just happened to transport my laptop today, but I put it in the back. My rationale is A) the frunk is really hard to close (mine is anyway) and B) if I get in a forward collision, I don't want my laptop absorbing the impact. A rear collision is just as likely I guess, but that seems safer to me.

My replacement window has been ordered. No ETA yet on when it'll be here.
Normally I wouldn't put it in there, but I just tossed it in there while I got lunch. Usually I use it for food to keep the smells out of the car. Imagine if I'd done that and couldn't open it for a few days, sitting in the sun... I'd have one stinky frunk!

Maxx77

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Normally I wouldn't put it in there, but I just tossed it in there while I got lunch. Usually I use it for food to keep the smells out of the car. Imagine if I'd done that and couldn't open it for a few days, sitting in the sun... I'd have one stinky frunk!
Hah, yeah, that would be awful. There should be a warning label in there that says "for non-perishable food only". Not to stray too far off topic, but what's wrong with your frunk? Is the latch not releasing or is the hood stuck in place?

mxbzz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just dropped off my TM3 and the SC said they would fix it, and try to buff out a few scratches that were on my car likely pre-delivery. The paperwork mentioned the part was ordered but they didn’t check until after I left. An hour later I get a call to ask that I come back and pick up my car until the part comes. Guess I’m heading back tomorrow and probably waiting a week or two for the part to arrive.

I’m happy there was no hassle in having them fix it, but annoyed that they didn’t actually check if they had the windshield in stock.

They also didn’t have any Tesla loaners in stock, so they initially offered me a Land Rover. I opted for the 2018 BMW 430c since it was a smaller car. It’s a nice car, but I’m spoiled by my TM3.

Side note: Didn’t get to use AP much until today. It is a godsend on the freeway + stop and go traffic.

zosoisnotaword

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Perfect - thanks for posting. That's exactly what I'm seeing, and yes, it's much more obvious in a video. If you look at the roofline above the window of the house on the right, it's also quite obvious.

I'm wondering if it's a specific batch of glass that's having the problem. My car was built in early April - anyone else with the issue care to volunteer when theirs was built?

And better still - anyone who ISN'T seeing it - when was yours built (see the build plate on the driver's door frame for your build month/year)?
I also have this issue, along with a slightly distorted windshield. It looks like the adhesive for the elements is causing it, because the distortion starts just outside of the element lines. I'm having a hard time deciding if I need to get my car tinted now or wait until people start getting non-funhouse glass installed on their cars.

Edit: March build