Rear window distortion - almost like a Fresnel lens

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

mxbzz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here’s my photo. This is obviously not normal— notice all the areas that look pixelated (the picture does make it look worse than real life). I’ll contact Tesla about it. Is it as simple as calling up the help line, shooting an email, or just heading over to a service center?

Attachments

Country
Country
Mine has distortion too and is being replaced/repaired. I should get it back in next few days.

It's wasn't the rear view mirror because the distortion could be seen looking directly out back.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here’s my photo. This is obviously not normal— notice all the areas that look pixelated (the picture does make it look worse than real life). I’ll contact Tesla about it. Is it as simple as calling up the help line, shooting an email, or just heading over to a service center?
If you look directly through the window does it look like that? What if it’s the rear view mirror in your case?

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yep, looking directly back yields the same results. I thought it was the rear view mirror as well initially.
Just took a picture of mine. Is it the reflection off the speaker grille on the rear deck?

When I look through my rear view mine is completely fine. When I held the camera close and zoomed in I see the pixelation which in my case at least is the reflection of that speaker grille for sure.

db55d3b0-0c16-4ba5-ab00-8396bc928cc3-jpeg.7476

mxbzz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just took a picture of mine. Is it the reflection off the speaker grille on the rear deck?

When I look through my rear view mine is completely fine. When I held the camera close and zoomed in I see the pixelation which in my case at least is the reflection of that speaker grille for sure.

View attachment 7476
It seems to be more apparent when looking at an angle. If I point my camera straight at the problem area, it looks fine. But looking at it from the rear view mirror or looking straight back, I definitely see a distortion not from the speaker grill:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dIRfaErLuS9yDd612

Straight on angle: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TFpO2awIRxZQxgdD2

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried to take some pictures but couldn't get the distortion to come through. I took a video, and that's where it becomes obvious. To me it seems like each defroster line creates a lens or doubling effect. It's much worse with a car, being small.

Here's a link to my video on my drive. Look for the lines in the neighbors siding to disappear or move.

ahagge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here's a link to my video on my drive. Look for the lines in the neighbors siding to disappear or move.

Perfect - thanks for posting. That's exactly what I'm seeing, and yes, it's much more obvious in a video. If you look at the roofline above the window of the house on the right, it's also quite obvious.

I'm wondering if it's a specific batch of glass that's having the problem. My car was built in early April - anyone else with the issue care to volunteer when theirs was built?

And better still - anyone who ISN'T seeing it - when was yours built (see the build plate on the driver's door frame for your build month/year)?

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Perfect - thanks for posting. That's exactly what I'm seeing, and yes, it's much more obvious in a video. If you look at the roofline above the window of the house on the right, it's also quite obvious.

I'm wondering if it's a specific batch of glass that's having the problem. My car was built in early April - anyone else with the issue care to volunteer when theirs was built?

And better still - anyone who ISN'T seeing it - when was yours built (see the build plate on the driver's door frame for your build month/year)?
Ok the video made me do a double take. Just got in my car from work and I can confirm that I do not have this issue.

VIN: 5950

Build date: 01/18

Maynerd

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I got replacement rear windows on 03/21 and 04/05 and am waiting for my new replacement rear window to come in. My original glass had damage which required the replacement on 03/21. I did not recall the weirdness on my original glass but I may have not noticed it. Hopefully the new replacement coming in does NOT have this issue, I will let you all know what happens.

Country
Country
Got my car back. Rear window distortion is gone. At least the spot I was complaining about. I there are still waves that are happening similar to the video posted where if you bob up and down, you can see the waves happening. I'm not sure if I will bring this up again. I need to check out other M3 to see if they have the same issue.

mxbzz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Scheduled an appointment for next week for them to take a look. Their service centers are fairly packed with appointments in the Bay Area. The Dublin SC’s first available appointment date is in early May! Opted for Fremont next week instead.

I’ll report back afterwards.

Russell

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
what a weird issue. Did you guys post on reddit? I wonder how many people have this issue.

Maxx77

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Got my car today, and mine definitely has the issue. The pictures really don't do it justice. Driving on the interstate with cars behind me, if they're at just the right distance, their headlights essentially disappear as they're right in the distortion spot. I'm glad to hear some of you have managed to get it fixed, I don't know that I'd want to live with it. Going to see if they'll replace mine too.

Mine is number 13,055 for anyone keeping track.

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
Got my car today, and mine definitely has the issue. The pictures really don't do it justice. Driving on the interstate with cars behind me, if they're at just the right distance, their headlights essentially disappear as they're right in the distortion spot. I'm glad to hear some of you have managed to get it fixed, I don't know that I'd want to live with it. Going to see if they'll replace mine too.

Mine is number 13,055 for anyone keeping track.
Were you able to tell before you accepted? I pick mine 14592 Thursday and I'd like to refuse delivery instead of scheduling a fix after the fact.