Rear window distortion - almost like a Fresnel lens

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the drive home from my delivery last night, it became painfully apparent to me that the rear window of my Model 3 has a LOT of distortion, especially near the bottom middle of the window. Vehicles would appear to be split, headlights would be doubled (appearing both above and below a heater line) and with all of the movement, it was a jarring experience.

Looking at headlights, I liken it to looking at a light through a Fresnel lens.

The image below shows how uniform diameter cables are distorted in various places. The parking block on the left is also distorted. Believe me, it looks much worse at night with headlights!

My question to other owners: Do you see the same thing, or is this enough of an abnormality that I should see a service center about getting the glass replaced. Right now it's driving me nuts.

Model 3 rear window.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I got my 99 Dodge Intrepid, lots of people complained about distortion in both the front and rear windows. I've paid more attention since then. I've noticed some amount of distortion in just about any modern car with steeply-raked windows.

Personally, as long as the main part of the windshield is fine, I don't think I'd concern myself with it. It's just too hard to make uniform-thickness, curved glass to such an exacting degree.

If you can, try to sit in one or two other 3's and see if they have similar distortion. If they do, then just learn to live with it. But if yours seems to be an outlier, then it might be worth getting the rear window replaced under warranty.

Enginerd

Country
Country
The distortions seem to align with the defroster elements. I wonder if Tesla embeds the heating elements in the glass instead of laying them on the surface like most? Also, although it doesn't look like your window is tinted, I've seen distortion due to tinting film laying over the defroster elements.

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
I've driven a friend's 3 with a front windshield that makes my eyes hurt after half an hour of driving. I'd try to get that thing replaced. And when I pick up mine in a couple weeks, I'm paying very close attention to the glass!

mxbzz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just picked up my TM3 and have the same issue. Glad to see it's not just me. I'm going to give it a few days to see if I get used to it. Otherwise, back to Fremont I go.

Simon Says

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Andddd just like that, my TM3 is home, sweet home.
From (current owner) invite to delivery: 9 days (4/6 to 4/15)
Invite: 4/6
Configured: 4/7, instant-VIN for Blue/19"/EAP
ISA call: 4/10, finalized financing/delivery on 4/13
Delivery: 4/15 @ Fremont

The only big issue I'm seeing right now is a distortion in the rear glass windshield. I might have the service center take a look as it was pretty distracting on the drive home.
Is this a case of double polarization? Are your sunglasses polarized and did Tesla polarized the rear window?

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Picked up my Model 3 yesterday and noticed this on mine, and it's a bit worse than shown in your photo. @ahagge, did you end up getting your rear glass replaced?
Not yet - I have an appointment with a Service Center on Thursday - hopefully I can convince them that it's enough of an issue to warrant replacement. AND hopefully the replacement won't exhibit the problem. Fingers crossed... :rolleyes:

Simon Says

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Wouldn't double polarization just cause excessive darkening, not "distortion"?
You would see moving colorful and dark spots. It is really annoying in bad cases give you some dizziness. This is why if you work on airplanes or ships you can't have polarized glasses because the glass is already polarized.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Andddd just like that, my TM3 is home, sweet home.
From (current owner) invite to delivery: 9 days (4/6 to 4/15)
Invite: 4/6
Configured: 4/7, instant-VIN for Blue/19"/EAP
ISA call: 4/10, finalized financing/delivery on 4/13
Delivery: 4/15 @ Fremont

Turns out I lucked out with the delivery date as they aren't usually open on Sundays, but since they had an owner symposium, they decided to open up the center for deliveries as well. It wasn't too packed, either. Maybe 3-4 other people picking up their TM3s while I was there. I was in and out in about 45 minutes.

The only big issue I'm seeing right now is a distortion in the rear glass windshield. I might have the service center take a look as it was pretty distracting on the drive home.
Congrats! I cant find it but your not alone in the rear window distortion club. I’ll come back if I can find it.

mxbzz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You would see moving colorful and dark spots. It is really annoying in bad cases give you some dizziness. This is why if you work on airplanes or ships you can't have polarized glasses because the glass is already polarized.
Unfortunately it’s not a case of double-polarization as I can see the distortion without my sunglasses. It’s similar to that wavy pattern/illusion you see on the pavement on a hot, sunny day (where it looks like the asphalt is melting when it really isn’t).

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
It appears that there is a major issue with the supplier of the glass. Just another reason I'm opting for a used model S with free Super Charging.....
I pick mine up in a couple weeks and I'm paying CLOSE attention to all the windows. Any of this crap and there's no way I'm coming home with it.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It appears that there is a major issue with the supplier of the glass. Just another reason I'm opting for a used model S with free Super Charging.....
Is it verified that this is a major issue? There’s some 25k+ VINs now and I haven’t seen more than a few reports of glass issues in general...?