Rear USB does not charge Android on USB-C connection

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just out of curiosity I attempted to charge my Samsung Galaxy S8+ on the rear USB ports and found out it would not work. I got the error message "Incomplete connection. Make sure the charger is properly connected." Attempted 3 different USB-C cables, including the one that comes from Tesla. I got the same error message on either of the rear ports. I then plugged in an iPad using a lighting cord and 2 older Android phones using micro USB cords and they all charged without any problems.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and is it just a Galaxy S8 issue or any and all USB C connections?

I'm running 2018.24.1 firmware in the car so if you can charge USB-C on the rear ports please post what firmware you are on.

If others can charge their phones (on 24.1) I may need to make this a service issue.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Attempted 3 different USB-C cables, including the one that comes from Tesla
Do you have any other USB-C devices that you could try?

There were a TON of incorrectly-made USB-A to USB-C cords being produced originally. A Google engineer by the name of Benson Leung went on a personal crusade to test as many as possible and leave a review of his results on Amazon. He convinced many companies to pull their stock and fix their manufacturing. So... it's possible that the cables are one of these old, out-of-spec cables. But I would hope that the Tesla-supplied cable would be OK.

https://bensonapproved.com/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/a...JGH2RRD4VGMB47ZA/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_pdp?ie=UTF8

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just checked my Galaxy S8 Active with regular Samsung USB-C cable and got 1.68A / 8.5W charge rate (screen off). Not fast, but the phone did not complain. About the same in a front port too.

chrg1-jpg.12115
chrg2-jpg.12116

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Do you have any other USB-C devices that you could try?

There were a TON of incorrectly-made USB-A to USB-C cords being produced originally. A Google engineer by the name of Benson Leung went on a personal crusade to test as many as possible and leave a review of his results on Amazon. He convinced many companies to pull their stock and fix their manufacturing. So... it's possible that the cables are one of these old, out-of-spec cables. But I would hope that the Tesla-supplied cable would be OK.

https://bensonapproved.com/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/a...JGH2RRD4VGMB47ZA/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_pdp?ie=UTF8
I don't have any other USB-C devices, that is my primary reason for starting this thread. Based on your info though I did attempt the to charge it with the OEM Samsung cable that came with the phone and still got the same error message. Also @MelindaV was correct, the first attempt was with the stock Tesla cable that comes for the front port. All of the cables work up front, no problem.

Just checked my Galaxy S8 Active with regular Samsung USB-C cable and got 1.68A / 8.5W charge rate (screen off). Not fast, but the phone did not complain. About the same in a front port too.

View attachment 12115 View attachment 12116
Thanks for checking, that helps me narrow this down quite a bit. What firmware are you on? I think I will wait for the next update and test this again before I bring it up as a service issue. It's not a big deal and I'm more curious than anything since other devices have no problem. If your USB-C charges and my ports charge other devices I'm leaning towards a software issue and not a hardware issue. If you are on the same firmware then maybe I'm wrong and back to square 1????

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Just out of curiosity I attempted to charge my Samsung Galaxy S8+ on the rear USB ports and found out it would not work. I got the error message "Incomplete connection. Make sure the charger is properly connected." Attempted 3 different USB-C cables, including the one that comes from Tesla. I got the same error message on either of the rear ports. I then plugged in an iPad using a lighting cord and 2 older Android phones using micro USB cords and they all charged without any problems.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and is it just a Galaxy S8 issue or any and all USB C connections?

I'm running 2018.24.1 firmware in the car so if you can charge USB-C on the rear ports please post what firmware you are on.

If others can charge their phones (on 24.1) I may need to make this a service issue.
I just tested my Samsung S8+ on the rear USB ports (I have 2018.21.9 firmware). It charges fine on the front USB ports using the same cable but when I plug it into the rear ones, I get the same message your S8+ delivered (Incomplete Connection). However, it appears to still be charging, just very slowly. Interestingly, on repeated attempts to plug it into the rear ports, about 1/3 of the time I don't get the message and the phone reports an estimated charge time of about 27 minutes to charge the final 13%. If I get the "Incomplete connection" message, it reports over four hours to complete the remaining 13%. It is my impression that the two different states that are possible are maybe not a physical connection thing, rather it seems to be something controlled by software in the car. I'm basing this on plugging it in while applying forces in different directions and noticing a similar failure rate regardless of how I plug it in. Try plugging it in multiple times and see if you get the "Incomplete Connection" every time.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just tested my Samsung S8+ on the rear USB ports (I have 2018.21.9 firmware). It charges fine on the front USB ports using the same cable but when I plug it into the rear ones, I get the same message your S8+ delivered (Incomplete Connection). However, it appears to still be charging, just very slowly. Interestingly, on repeated attempts to plug it into the rear ports, about 1/3 of the time I don't get the message and the phone reports an estimated charge time of about 27 minutes to charge the final 13%. If I get the "Incomplete connection" message, it reports over four hours to complete the remaining 13%. It is my impression that the two different states that are possible are maybe not a physical connection thing, rather it seems to be something controlled by software in the car. I'm basing this on plugging it in while applying forces in different directions and noticing a similar failure rate regardless of how I plug it in. Try plugging it in multiple times and see if you get the "Incomplete Connection" every time.
Thanks for the feedback, that's perfect info. Now I know it's not just my car and most likely a software/firmware issue. I have also played around with putting pressure on both the phone side connection and the connector going into the car. I've never gotten anything other than the error message but maybe I didn't leave it plugged in long enough to get the time remaining to full charge.

Guess I'm just glad I'm not the only one, I will be testing this now on every update I get to see if/when it's fixed.