Rear Drivers Side Door Pops Opens

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Judging by the sound, your latch might need an adjustment.

But I think your door closing effort could also be increased. The rear doors of the Model 3 are not as heavy as some lessor engineered doors and are fairly short from front to back. Less mass and a shorter swing radius means more velocity is needed to compress the rubber door seals and latch.
I initially slammed it harder before the video. But it just doesn’t want to latch. Maybe 5 to 10 seconds later, I hear the latch engaged and when I close it, the door latches properly.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Quicksilver - do you use the child locks? wondering if your issue is the same as the OP, and it is with the interior switch, if having the child locks on or off makes a difference.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Quicksilver - do you use the child locks? wondering if your issue is the same as the OP, and it is with the interior switch, if having the child locks on or off makes a difference.
Good point @MelindaV, I’ll check it later.

Edit: checked child lock and when child lock is on, rear left door latches fine. When child lock is off, door does not latch as shown on video.

Last edited:

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update on my SC visit:

Service Tech believes that my RPM puddle lights could be the cause of the rear left door not latching. They said that the lights circuit functions in series with the door so voltage issues of the puddle lights may cause the lack of latching problem. I told them I’ve had the lights for over a year now and have had no issues until this past week. They said a recent update may have caused it. They asked me to reinstall the factory puddle lights (which I saved when I swapped out with RPM) to see if I have the same issues. I’ll play with them this weekend to see if they are the cause.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update on my SC visit:

Service Tech believes that my RPM puddle lights could be the cause of the rear left door not latching. They said that the lights circuit functions in series with the door so voltage issues of the puddle lights may cause the lack of latching problem. I told them I’ve had the lights for over a year now and have had no issues until this past week. They said a recent update may have caused it. They asked me to reinstall the factory puddle lights (which I saved when I swapped out with RPM) to see if I have the same issues. I’ll play with them this weekend to see if they are the cause.
Very interesting. Seems like an easy out for the SC, but as others dig in to this car more it's obvious they've built a tight electrical system and with no fuses, but everything is truly solid state, the circuits are monitored for fluctuations or changes I guess it could be possible.

Does the door only do this when parked? Or has it done it while driving or could it do it while driving?

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very interesting. Seems like an easy out for the SC, but as others dig in to this car more it's obvious they've built a tight electrical system and with no fuses, but everything is truly solid state, the circuits are monitored for fluctuations or changes I guess it could be possible.

Does the door only do this when parked? Or has it done it while driving or could it do it while driving?
Fortunately, the door only pops open while parked. The SC Tech said that it will not pop while driving since there are controls in place to prevent that. When I reinstall the factory puddle lights, and if it is having the same issue, then they said they would replace the switch that controls the latch. They did take the door panels off to check everything...took about an hour for them to check.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately, a new issue popped up. My profiles along with easy entry no longer work. I talked to the SC before I left and they said to go ahead and erase and re-create all profiles and it should work. I should have done it while at the SC. After several reboot, and recreating profiles, none of the profiles works. No movement of the seats or steering wheels, etc... unfortunately, back to the SC I go.

Update: Just found some info on Reddit... Looks like seat re-calibration is needed...

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 8.16.32 PM.png

Update 2: SC recalibrated both the steering wheel and driver seat. Now all working as expected.

Last edited: