Rear disc brake (minor) squeel

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Just asking if anyone else has observed the following:

Since taking delivery, I've noticed the only drive-line noise I experience (no music playing, ATC fan on low speeds) is minor rear disc brake squeal.

Because of regen braking, the rear discs are used very sparingly (mostly only at low speed) and I only hear it for the final second or so before a full stop.

Also, (especially if brake hold is used [parking brake on rear discs energized at stop light]), when I pull away I will hear the "chirp, chirp, chirp" of something brake caliper related rubbing against a single high spot on a disc for the first few kph as I gather speed.

Anyone else hear any (minor) rear disc brake related noises at very low braking speeds?

Thanks.

Country
Country
Was it something like this?

I had that noise somewhat intermittently from the back right tire for miles 30-100 of the car, and then it magically disappeared before I could schlep back to a service center.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

That type of squeak is caused by vibrations. When brake pads are put on, you need to put a little bit of grease between the pad and shims, and shims and caliper. It sounds like the person in charge of doing this on the assembly line didn't get it quite right.

This should be something easily fixed by the service center.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country

I had that noise somewhat intermittently from the back right tire for miles 30-100 of the car, and then it magically disappeared before I could schlep back to a service center.
Mine is not that bad......but I figure it's the same thing.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
That type of squeak is caused by vibrations. When brake pads are put on, you need to put a little bit of grease between the pad and shims, and shims and caliper. It sounds like the person in charge of doing this on the assembly line didn't get it quite right.

This should be something easily fixed by the service center.
I was thinking a simple shot of synthetic brake grease between the back of the pads and the piston/caliper assembly. Too bad one can't get a shop manual for these cars.....yet.

I was talking this over with @Sandy and he figures just give it a few weeks of driving and it should go away on its own.

In any event, I'm not going to make a special trip to Toronto to settle this one issue.

It can wait until some sort of laundry list of things need looking at (which, as of right now, there isn't anything else to look at).

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I had a similar noise. Was told it was broken "brake clips". Brought it in for service and they replaced the part. I had the noise day one when I picked it up. Was so bad I didn't really want to drive it that weekend until it was fixed. I couldn't sneak up on anyone!!

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Sounds like the same thing I had If it's rear brakes they do almost nothing in all cars, it's really the front brakes. Especially with Regen it's nothing to keep you from driving but better fixed before the rotors get damaged

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a similar noise. Was told it was broken "brake clips". Brought it in for service and they replaced the part. I had the noise day one when I picked it up. Was so bad I didn't really want to drive it that weekend until it was fixed. I couldn't sneak up on anyone!!
The noise is annoying, but a broken brake clip shouldn't cause any safety issues. It's a smooth, soft piece of metal that goes between the caliper and the brake pad, allowing the pad to move smoothly as the brake is applied. The brakes will continue to function without them if need be. And the metal is soft enough that even if a piece breaks off and gets stuck between the pad and rotor, it wouldn't damage them appreciably - no more than getting a small piece of stone stuck in there (which happens all the time).

Country
Country
My noise did go away on the highway one day, never (so far) to return. I'm both happy and sad to know I'm not the only one with similar problems!

I did send that video clip to my local service center and they weren't concerned about it from a safety perspective, which is good.

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone else hear a wheel squeak every time it goes round? This is happening for me at low speeds. Not sure if its the wheel or the brake? After a certain speed (around 40km/h) it will not squeak at all.

I have about 1100km on the car, hasn't gone away yet. I have an appointment Wednesday to take a look at it.

While im there, i'm going to have them take a look at this hissing noise coming from the glovebox area, mentioned in another thread on the forums. That one specifically is driving me nuts. Lol

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I had a similar noise. Was told it was broken "brake clips". Brought it in for service and they replaced the part
I found what appeared to be bits of brake clips on my garage floor last night.

In any event, I stopped at the Oakville center today enroute to my parents place, explained the situation and was told, yep, you need new clips, it seems to be a thing.......

On my way home Friday, I'm booked to have the stuff done at noon.

I also asked about the winter tire/wheel package and what special things I'll need to do, TPMS wise, when I swap them out this fall.

I'm told (unlike my old Prius), that if one swaps out all four wheels with the winter wheel package with Tesla TPMS sensors, it's an automatic setup much like autopilot calibration, just be sure to "bounce" the tire/wheel assembly prior to mounting it on the car......

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone else hear a wheel squeak every time it goes round? This is happening for me at low speeds. Not sure if its the wheel or the brake? After a certain speed (around 40km/h) it will not squeak at all.

I have about 1100km on the car, hasn't gone away yet. I have an appointment Wednesday to take a look at it.

While im there, i'm going to have them take a look at this hissing noise coming from the glovebox area, mentioned in another thread on the forums. That one specifically is driving me nuts. Lol
Went to the repair center this morning. They replaced some brake clips, my car no longer squeaks when the wheels go round.

Regarding that hissing noise I mentioned, of course it wasnt happening when I was there, but happened as soon as i pulled out of their driveway...Lol
Anyways he said hes pretty certain its some gas in the AC or something, and its a normal sound. If I can reproduce it consistently, I may bring it back in. Even if it is the gas in the AC, it sounds way louder than it should.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
On my way home Friday, I'm booked to have the stuff done at noon.
Went to the Oakville service center yesterday to have the brake clip work done and the wheel is now silent :)

I also felt (with 2000 km's under my belt) that the steering wheel was not centered at 12 o'clock (more like at 1130 ;)).

I asked if it wasn't going to be a huge time sink, could they deal with the alignment as well.

They did fit me in (I got to spend a few hours checking all my e-mails, etc).

Someone came and asked me, "I see you have about 28% on your battery, do you want us to fill you up before your drive home?".

About 20 minutes later my car app went live and it showed 80%.

Very friendly place, very satisfied with the service.

No brake squeal and the steering wheel is centered.

Daniel D.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I had the same issue with both rear brakes after delivery. My leveling pins were not installed correctly from the factory. Two rear break pad kits were ordered and replaced. The noise went away.