Rear Camera Lens

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EchoCharlie3189

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Has anyone noticed as their car gets older that the rear camera doesn't stay as clean as it used to? I feel like dirt or water if it rains doesn't shed off the camera lens and 8/10 times I can't use the camera at all when backing up. Luckily the side-mirrors tilt down, which helps a ton, but I feel like the rear camera is kind of useless at this point.

I have washed the camera with a foam sponge when cleaning the car and when I wipe the lens off if it is dirty I try to use a soft cloth. Anyone else having issues with the coating on the lens?

aadams1278

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have started having this water blocking cameras issue lately and my car is 2.5 years old. So it does seem that it’s a bit worse now than I remember when the car was new.

The biggest issue I’m having is the side fender cameras. They will get water on them in rain and get blurry. Then autopilot degrades so lane changes and navigate on autopilot are not available.

I believe Elon has mentioned putting a hydrophobic coating on the camera lens but I have put rain x washer fluid on my windshield in the past and now am having a huge issue with getting it off due to hazing and streaking. I would hate to put that on the cameras and have a similar issue there.

Has anyone had any real success with some kind of coating on the cameras to prevent or reduce this water droplet gathering on the

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Unfortunatly, that is a very temporary solution.

Not all that temporary, actually. Unless every few months seems like that big of an inconvenience.

Well, yes, you'll have to re-apply periodically. Not a big deal.
You could also use wax, or a ceramic coating.

Yeah, I've got some Wolf's Glass treatment which I used on the car. I haven't been super impressed, it makes my wipers chattery. Going to try doing a double coat like suggested and also do the cameras and see how it turns out.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.