Rear AC vent not blowing cold air

KGTES

Country
Country
Just got call from Service. I have to say, this is dissapointing:
Rear AC not blowing as cold air as front. They said this is NORMAL and is expected to be 5-6 degrees cooler than front! This is news to me and not a single car I have owned thus far has had this 'normal' behavior.

When I was handing over the car, he sat in it and said yes, it doesn't blow cold air when the temp is set to 76, but if he reduces it to 68, he can feel cold air coming out the back. And now, they are saying this behavior is normal!!?
So, in order for the rear to get cold air, I have to freeze at 68?
Does everybody else have this issue? Can you guys check this for me please?​

Attachments

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got call from Service. I have to say, this is dissapointing:
Rear AC not blowing as cold air as front. They said this is NORMAL and is expected to be 5-6 degrees cooler than front! This is news to me and not a single car I have owned thus far has had this 'normal' behavior.

When I was handing over the car, he sat in it and said yes, it doesn't blow cold air when the temp is set to 76, but if he reduces it to 68, he can feel cold air coming out the back. And now, they are saying this behavior is normal!!?
So, in order for the rear to get cold air, I have to freeze at 68?
Does everybody else have this issue? Can you guys check this for me please?​
The fact the air has to travel under the cabin through 4 feet of ambient (outside) temps explains why there will be a temperature differential between front and rear. Look at the bright side: in winter, the passengers in the back will be cooler than those in the front. ;)

RICK M

The fact the air has to travel under the cabin through 4 feet of ambient (outside) temps explains why there will be a temperature differential between front and rear. Look at the bright side: in winter, the passengers in the back will be cooler than those in the front. ;)
The passengers in the back during winter will not be cooler than the ones in the front, as the front is cooler than the back

imusick

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
FALSE! On a 200 mile road trip with the outside air temperature of 48 degrees, the front was blowing 68 degrees F and the rear was blowing about 90 degrees F. SO this has NOTHING do to with outside air temperatures.

I have a service appointment for this in a few days. Supposedly there was a software fix in version 8 that corrected this issue. However, many folks are still having the same issue after version 8 and I’m experiencing the same problem running with version 9.

Rumor is the ducting to the rear vent is routed near the battery and when the battery heats up the rear air vents also heat up. Hope this isn't true.

Last edited:

Ct200h

Country
Country
Now that parts diagrams are available we might be able to look at the path of the air vents thru the console and out the rear vents
If it is battery heat ther may be no fix.

Dave EV

Country
Country
Drove 100+ miles yesterday with a 5 passengers in ambient temperatures between 40-50F in the intermittent rain and had the "warm air out the rear vents" issue. HVAC was set to SYNC at 66-68F, had cool air coming out the front, but warm air (probably 100F or so) coming out the rear which was causing passengers in the rear to overheat.

Back in the summer on longer trips when it's hot outside, I've had issues with the rear getting too cold. It seems that maybe whatever algorithm the car uses to blend air in the rear overcompensates for the outside temperature?

I saw a couple reports on the tesla.com forums of similar behavior - people here still seeing this issue?

cybergates

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Drove 100+ miles yesterday with a 5 passengers in ambient temperatures between 40-50F in the intermittent rain and had the "warm air out the rear vents" issue. HVAC was set to SYNC at 66-68F, had cool air coming out the front, but warm air (probably 100F or so) coming out the rear which was causing passengers in the rear to overheat.

Back in the summer on longer trips when it's hot outside, I've had issues with the rear getting too cold. It seems that maybe whatever algorithm the car uses to blend air in the rear overcompensates for the outside temperature?

I saw a couple reports on the tesla.com forums of similar behavior - people here still seeing this issue?
exact same problem here - what's with the really hot air from the rear vent. Only temp fix is to put AC on manual and turn off the right side button for rear ventilation. I hope there's some fix for this? (2018.48.12.1)

COM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine did this on our road trip. Subzero temps, but was getting hot in the back seat from the rear vent blowing out hot air (even when HVAC was off or set to cool).