Reading The Data (ODBII Port?)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

patrick0101

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I used to run Leaf-Spy on our Nissan Leaf, I currently run TM-Spy on our Model X. I like monitoring/collecting the battery data. Is there a good tool to collect similar data for the Model 3? Our 3 has arrived and I'd like to collect data on the new battery.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Several of us tuned the ICE side of our first gen Chevy Volts using HP Tuners s/w. We tweaked the cam and spark, had lean cruise at Honda Insight levels of lean, even converted to Flex Fuel that could run any fuel from E10 to E85 with help of an alcohol sensor. I adapted a headrest tablet mount so I was able to have my tablet, running VCM Scanner (connected to the ODB port), over the center display and found it very helpful to get the rpm just right to get impressive mileage. This was something I really missed with my current Volt, as HPT s/w didn't yet support it and with my Model 3 coming, gave up on trying.

Of course there's no sweet spot for RPM with our Teslas and there's nothing to tune yet, but I'll miss the adventure.

Perscitus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Trust me, you will not miss the adventure (aka cluster@$#) that is a modern emission-riddled, bean-counter poor fidelity sensor and cookie-cutter electronic control ICE engine.

I have t00ned NA / FI ICE engines (from professional racecars, through daily drivers to fleet trucks) for 20+ years. The current state of over-complicated ROM structure, code routines and bad OE mappings is the worst its ever been. In part thanks to emissions, in part due to over-reliance on electronic crutches and in part as a side-effect of mass-production.

I'm super happy to be done with ICE and any need to ever look at OBDII/E-OBDII, CAN bus data, transfer and error functions, emissions readiness monitors, freeze-frames, DTCs and any form of diagnostics datalogs.

Sure, some basic electric moto/s and battery engineering stats would be great, but Tesla should just offer a peek into those via native interface on the central screen or companion app. Charge an 'upgrade' fee to enable it if they have to.... not force people to hack into their cars to get at it. Limited market for this either way.

Last edited: