Rattling noise from nose cone?

Tycho

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi everyone!

I just got my SR+ Model 3 about 6 weeks ago, and everything has been fine until the last week or so. I've noticed that occasionally, I hear a rattling sound coming from the front nose cone, which I assume is coming from one of the fans. I've attached an audio recording that I think should help a bit.

Rattle

What do you think? Should I schedule a service visit? My only concern is that I live 90+ minutes away from the closest service center, and I don't know if this is something a Mobile Service tech could address.

Thanks!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some people have reported a headlight rattling. Give the headlights a gentle thump with your hand and see if that's where the noise is coming from.

But that noise does sound like a problem with a fan to me. Schedule a service visit and let them solve it.

Tycho

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, the service center is going to schedule a mobile tech visit. My first service on this vehicle, so we'll see how this goes!

Tycho

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, just wanted to follow up in case anyone comes across this thread. That initial rattling sound hasn’t happened again, but what I have been noticing quite frequently is a loud whining sound coming from just behind the frunk.

The mobile service tech was extremely friendly, and after hearing the sound himself and disassembling the frunk, he informed me that what I’m hearing is simply the HVAC compressor doing it’s job in the face of high ambient temperatures. He ran a full thermal load test and said it didn’t throw any errors, so fortunately all is well and it seems I just didn’t realize that the compressor could get so loud. And as for that rattling sound in the front, he said the intake fan can self adjust, so perhaps that’s what I was hearing, but fortunately I haven’t heard it since.

In the end, I do feel bad for wasting the poor tech’s time, it is nice to know that my Model 3 is running just fine!