Rattle / Vibration from Door Speaker

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

eXntrc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anyone else have rattling / vibrations from any of the door speakers? My front-right door speaker rattles at certain frequencies. It was so bad at first that I took it into the service center. They applied some matting on the inside of the door and eliminated the rattle for the specific songs I played for them when I arrived. But after I left I realized it was rattling for other songs at different frequencies too.

I feel like the issue is in the speaker grill, or something else in the door. Anyone dealt with this or know how to address it?

Thanks!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have had the door apart enough times to be able to do it blindfolded and drunk by now, and have used enough felt tape in there to seal the ISS, and I keep finding new things that resonate at different frequencies. I am taking my car (if I keep it, pending some other issues) to a high-end car audio shop to get a complete noise/vibration dampening setup installed. Think Dynamat or similar.

I would recommend this rather than trying to get it done at the SC because they will likely not spend hours testing their work, as you experienced as well. It’s just not expected for a normal service tech to do, in my opinion. If you want quality sound, go to a quality sound place. You can argue that it’s poor build quality and should be a warranty item for Tesla (technically true), but do yourself and the SC a favor and get it done professionally :)

eXntrc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah, maybe you're right. The SC technician was nice enough about it but he definitely had this look on his face like "Really? This is what you're here for?"

If it continues to bother me I might find a good local audio shop to take care of it...

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had vibration in both front door speakers. Had mobile service mess with it - the driver door is fine now, but the passenger door still has the issue. I'll wait until I have a secondary service thing to call mobile service again (the last time I got the tires rotated as well).

StevePopiel

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is by far my biggest complaint with this car. For a 50 grand plus luxury car, it should be tight as hell with no rattles, squeaks, or vibrations. I've had my 3 in twice for various rattles, squeaks, and vibrations and while each time they've attempted to fix them, I just had to make another appointment because they keep popping back up. To my surprise, just before my appointment, I received an email which included the following:

5. If your appointment has one or more concerns pertaining to a noise/vibration: Note that noise/vibration concerns are not covered under the warranty but we will warranty these issues if you are within 12 months or 12,000 miles of the purchase date (whichever comes first) There is an initial estimate of $175/1-hour of labor to diagnose each noise/vibration concern. Diagnosis can go one of two ways: (1) If the diagnosis determines the noise/vibration is due to a defective/faulty part you will not be charged and the repairs will be covered under your warranty. (2) If the diagnosis determines there are no malfunctioning parts requiring replacement, you will be responsible for the cost of repairs. If you choose to decline repairs you will be charged only the diagnostic fee of $175.

Apparently, these rattles aren't an isolated issue and they're obviously becoming a cost issue for Tesla. This is the first time I've seen this specific wording and IMHO, this is completely unacceptable for a car of this caliber. I've had my share of brand new cars, from bare bones base models to luxury models and I've never had even close this many issues with interior rattles, vibrations, and the like. If the interior is this loose now at only 3000 miles, I shudder to think how it'll sound in a few years.

eXntrc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wow, that new verbiage is horrible. Even worse, what determines whether there's a "malfunctioning part"? If the speaker grill just isn't attached well, is it "malfunctioning"? This is really frustrating.

StevePopiel

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wow, that new verbiage is horrible. Even worse, what determines whether there's a "malfunctioning part"? If the speaker grill just isn't attached well, is it "malfunctioning"? This is really frustrating.
Exactly my thoughts. This new policy basically absolves them of any and all responsibly for any rattles, vibrations, or other miscellaneous noises if they deem it not their fault.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
May not be your problem (if it's all the time), but if it's intermittent: I hear rattling/clicking on songs, and a pause/play fixes it. Codec glitch, I assume.

eXntrc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No, this is not a digital distortion / codec issue. I'm quite familiar with what that sounds like. This is a resonance / vibration / something loose.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just noticed that my driver door rattles when any song with little bass is playing at less than half volume which sounds like a cheap honda or toyota rattling which is embarrassing

And my passenger door speaker has an annoying rattle that I haven't been able to fix with all the noise cancelling foam I've shoved in there

Really annoying