Range Rules for Dummies

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know there are lots of data nerds here and lots of exact range data numbers based on the science of what a Model 3 can do. What I'd like to present in this thread is nothing exact or scientific but very simple, easy to remember range rules that can be used in everyday driving. As a pilot I find generic "rules of thumb" are much more useful in the real world where any exact data can be easily skewed based on changing conditions. So, here are some basic range rules for dummies from what I've seen of the numbers. Remember, these numbers are rounded off and generic, YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY. If anyone, especially current owners, have anything to add or you notice anything that I should change please let me know. Oh, and these only apply to the LR battery since it's the only one available right now and the only one I'm concentrating on. If anyone wants to add info for the SR please go ahead. With all that in mind here are some easy to remember numbers because that is the key for any rule of thumb, make it easy to remember.....

1. In order to get the rated 310 miles of range you need to average around 240 Wh/mi (shown on the trip meter)

2. 275 Wh/mi = 275 Miles of range (the higher the Wh/mi reading the lower the range)

3. At highway speeds every 5MPH=20 Miles of range (if you need to go further, slow down!)

I know some of the above is common sense (like higher Wh/mi=lower range) but as a petrol head it took me some time to figure out this whole new world of electrification, so, I'm hoping this will make sense and help some of the people entering this brave new world with me!

ölbrenner

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like to use user "outdoors" over at TMC data when dreaming about M3 trips. Road trip from Marina Del Ray to Michigan, real world speeds and driving it like a real car no hypermiling, using a/c and heat as necessary, through all kinds of terrain and temps. 3.7 miles/kWh.

Last edited: