Question Range Issue?

save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

markclen

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I just bought a 2015 Model S P85D with 30K miles and I've noticed the range isn't what it says. I drove to a business that is 30 miles roundtrip and it took 50 miles in range. This morning I took my Daughter to school and it's 42 miles roundtrip but it took 65 miles of range. Is this common for a Tesla or is there possibly something wrong with the battery? I drive conservatively, so it's not because of a lead foot. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Small trips take more than longer trips. The battery and cabin have to get conditioned.
Als, the cooler morning temperatures could be impacting you.

• Helpful
Reactions: iChris93

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
@markclen, welcome to the forum and hope you are enjoying your “new” car. Those miles you refer to are rated miles and it is a normal new owner issue to expect them to be actual miles. There are a lot of factors that can make actual miles less than rated miles: wheel size, tire condition, tire pressure, speed, outside temp, heater, wind, rain, elevation changes, weight in the car. And the car can also use miles when sitting; there are also a lot of factors that increase this “phantom drain.”

For the 2 drives you mentioned, you got 60% to 65% actual miles vs rated miles. This is on the low side from my experience. While individual drives may vary, my 2017 model X averages over 90% actual/rated when outside temps are between 45F and 90F. Were those rated mile changes immediately before and after the drives? What is the Wh/mile shown on the trip meter? What was the outside temp? What diameter wheels do you have? Do you know if your car has had the MCU2 upgrade?

I don’t think it is likely that there is a problem with the car, rather a matter to figure out if there is an easily changeable culprit that is eating your range.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Another factor that you may not be used to is that unlike ICE cars, your Tesla gets much better mileage in the city than on the highway.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Another factor that you may not be used to is that unlike ICE cars, your Tesla gets much better mileage in the city than on the highway.
I’ve not found this to be true in my experience. There seems to be a relatively notable “runway tax” at the start of each drive (heat up, cooldown, whatnot) and my local drives are just too short to overcome it. Here are my most recent local drives based on my Teslafi data:
MILES ACTUAL/RATED MILES
5 65%
11 91%
8 52%
4 95%
4 67%
3 52%
2 78%
2 212%
2 36%

Edit: ugh, that formatted horribly but not seeing a way to make it better on my phone. The first number is miles of each drive segment, the second is the actual/rated percent.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve not found this to be true in my experience. There seems to be a relatively notable “runway tax” at the start of each drive (heat up, cooldown, whatnot) and my local drives are just too short to overcome it.
A Tesla will get better mileage in the city going 35-45 mph with regenerative braking, than it will on the highway. In fact my monroney window sticker says my Model 3 gets 128mpg in the city and 117mpg on the highway-- which is measured at a top speed of just 60mph. (At 70mph+ it will be even lower.) While your "runway tax" idea is probably true, there is a runway tax on the beginning of all drives-- whether highway or city.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
@Mr. Spacely, we are in violent theoretical agreement. I just find that in practice, the around town has lots of hits that keep me from racking up great efficiency because I’m not maintaining that 35-45 mph for any notable period of time. On a highway drive, I agree that regen isn’t playing any role but the runway tax becomes negligible as it becomes a negligible percentage of the drive. Also, I go fairly close to the speed limit on highways and with plenty of construction slowdowns, so my highway efficiency is often very, very good.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Agreed. I think the issue from your Teslafi data is that your city driving is only a few miles at a time. If you drove 10-15 miles in the city maybe your numbers would improve; and if your drove 75-80mph on the highway like folks do here you would see the drop off. We obviously live in different areas...