Range: Is Tesla lying to us?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know whether it's reduced tire rolling resistance, or some software update but I'm no longer getting the advertised 310 miles of range on a full charge.

I'm getting 375! :)

It's late summer here in the mountains, I'm using the heater in the morning but it's still hot as heck in the afternoons so the A/C is running too and I'm not babying the car either, just driving it like I always do. It's my daily driver. Trips to Albuquerque, 75 mph speed limits, nothing has changed. The 199 Wh/mile number displayed is since my last tire rotation (and yields the 375 mile range figure above). The overall 225 Wh/mile number has been dropping all along too. Wonder what gives? I find it hard to believe that the tires are simply rolling along much more efficiently now? They've got 15k miles on them now, factory originals. Cool. OR, is Tesla discovering they can eek out more range from batteries than they initially thought? Will be fun to see if it gets substantially worse as it gets colder here and how much! Stay tuned. Car is a 2017 model, LR, factory 18 inch wheels, I don't have my aero covers on in general either. Tire pressure around 40 psi mornings. HAPPY! :):):) Go Tesla!

whatintheworld-jpg.13935

scottismyname

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dang you must really baby the car.....I struggle to keep it under 250, but I love the acceleration and I have a lot of hills around me. I was about 247 (after 5k miles) but then I took it on a road trip where I averaged 85mph and that took it up to about 255 after 800 miles of inefficiency :)

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Well, here is my two cents worth for efficiency (don't mean to hijack the thread), for Aug 2018.

My energy upload, from home EVSE for Aug 2018 (Eyedro numbers):

eyedro_01-aug2018-png.13940

Actual raw data, which includes Tesla Wall Connector parasitic drain:

dsc08707-jpg.13941

Upload from all other sources (superchargers, et al): 272 kWh's.

Total energy uplift, Aug 2018: 683 kWh's,

Actual odometer #1 reading for month of Aug 2018:

car_odo_aug2018-jpg.13942

While in motion, total efficiency (as captured by odometer #1 reading): 143 Wh/km (232 Wh/mile)

Total system efficiency (includes all energy uplifted applied to 4,072 kms (2,513 miles)): 167.7 Wh/km (272 Wh/mile)

About 15% energy inputs "lost" over the month of Aug 2018.

The 199 Wh/mile number displayed is since my last tire rotation (and yields the 375 mile range figure above).
WOW! I can only dream of that level of indicated efficiency.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Apply more pressure with your right foot :p:D
Oh, I do. Haven't had a chance to autocross it yet but everytime I let people drive it, I suggest they try and 0-60 run. I don't baby the car. That's why I'm completely surprised and wonder if it's not some software tweak I was lucky enough to get?

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unless I'm dreaming, I seem to be experiencing the opposite. It just seems like I have to drive like grandma to get below 200 on an 11 mile 40mph drive, whereas in the first week with the car, I could do that without even trying to be careful. My tires are at 45-47 psi too. And the temps aren't as hot now either. I almost wonder if the parking brake is dragging or something. But i don't hear or smell anything, so I don't think so.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@tencate I see two things in your favor. First is your location/altitude. Another long mileage claim came from someone in the SW USA and you both are at elevations above 7000 feet. At least your signature of Los Alamos shows 7320. Air is much thinner there.

And the other person also had 18" tires.

For comparison, I am at sea level with 19" tires and best I can do is 240's going less than 55 MPH on streets with minimal traffic lights going red.

Also I have seen on youtube that the heater (not heated seats) uses heat recovery from various systems in the M3. So use of the heater vs. heated seats has minimal impact on range.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually old tires *do* get more efficient. The rubber hardens and the reduced amount of tread means less wobbling in the rubber. :)
Yes, agreed. (That means we all should DRIVE our cars more, to wear down the rubber and improve our efficiency numbers!) I'm all for that. ;) But I do also think the altitude/wind resistance/drag is a big deal too. I get a double bonus for driving an EV up here: no loss in bhp like you get in an ICE car and less air density means more efficiency. Everyone needs to move to Santa Fe! ;)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Yes, agreed. (That means we all should DRIVE our cars more, to wear down the rubber and improve our efficiency numbers!) I'm all for that. ;) But I do also think the altitude/wind resistance/drag is a big deal too. I get a double bonus for driving an EV up here: no loss in bhp like you get in an ICE car and less air density means more efficiency. Everyone needs to move to Santa Fe! ;)
I'm moving to Nepal. ;)

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country

Actually old tires *do* get more efficient. The rubber hardens and the reduced amount of tread means less wobbling in the rubber. :)
I always thought it was because the release agent used in the manufacturing process was leached out of the rubber.

But yes, old tires do get more efficient.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I don't know whether it's reduced tire rolling resistance, or some software update but I'm no longer getting the advertised 310 miles of range on a full charge.

I'm getting 375! :)
I'm sure it's due to the altitude and good throttle technique. People that get poor efficiency are probably going from acceleration to regen without being aware of it. It's important to keep a steady throttle when cruising.

Our efficiency has been getting better since taking delivery, we are now down to 223 W/mile which puts our range right at 350 miles. Considering 95% of our driving has been at sea level, that's really great. Also, while we are not driving around at 80 mph (at least not very much), we don't hesitate to use the go pedal to get moving. Tesla did a real bang-up job on this car, their most efficient to date by a good amount. And Tesla is lying to us, the LR Model 3 specs have been fudged (in the driver's favor) to keep consistent specs across the board with the AWD and Performance Model 3's.

We will see how the Jaguar iPace compares. My guess is it will struggle to make specs without slowing down to 55 or 60 mph. The LR Model 3 is the long-range champion and it may be a long time before it's dethroned (but I hope not). One advantage that comes with high efficiency is more miles/hour of range when charging, particularly when charging with less than a Supercharger.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 well done. I know the scenic area well. 28mph average, almost a school zone. ;)

For the first image, what app is that?
Yup, that was driving up the beach with a speed limit of 30-35 tops, but slower with tourists and res lights.

The app is TeslaFi!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Many Internet articles state that EPA actually rated the TM3LR higher than 310 miles and Tesla asked to derate it to 310 miles. If that is true here is a good reason to derate it:
Tesla S 100D has an EPA range of 335 miles and Tesla S P100D has an EPA range of 315 miles. It would not be good for the much-less-expensive TM3LR to have a range greater than 315 miles!