Range Experiences (incl. impact of wheel size)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And the contents:

Wheel energy consumption numbers, finally!

Sorry for the delay, I know several asked for these numbers but I wanted to make sure they were representative.

I did my daily commute for a week with the stock 18" wheels with aero covers, then for a week with my 20x9" aftermarket wheels. The aftermarket wheels also have 245 wide Pilot Super Sport tires installed, so between the larger diameter, the wider wheel and tread, and the lack or aerodynamic fairings, it's not surprising the the larger wheels result in significantly increased energy consumption.

Stock 18" wheels: 251 Wh/mi over 346 miles
VMR 20" wheels: 330 Wh/mi over 285 miles

That's a 30% increase in energy consumption! I am certainly glad I kept the stock wheels for road trips. The big wheels look great, but damn that's a big hit. Thankful for the long range battery.​

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd like to see the difference between the covered and uncovered 18" wheels.
Exactly, simple and common 18" config with only 1 physical variable (Aero overs), with hopefully limited environmental variables (Temp, Elevation Changes, Speed).

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not convinced that 18s sans aero covers and 19s are going to have significantly different range. It's just not clear to me that a larger, but same width, wheel with a lower aspect ratio, but same compound, tire necessarily has any significant difference in aero drag or rolling resistance.

This guy has two things working against him:
1. I would guess that "Pilot Super Sport" tires have a higher rolling resistance than the stock Primacy's. Sticky rubber and all that.
2. His 245 tire width is a smidgen wider than the stock 235, which will have some impact on aero drag and range.

I'll be really happy when someone finally gets tired of the speculating, and does the authoritative test - 50 miles out and back from a Supercharger (so the car is fully charged for each stage)(electrons are heavy, doncha know)( ;) ), using 18s with aero cover, 18s without aero cover, and 19s, with similar/identical weather conditions. I could do that easily here - Phoenix seldom has much wind in the winter, the temperature is reasonably constant over several 3 hour period, and there's a Supercharger on Interstate 17 which is essentially flat and straight with reasonable traffic for about 150 miles going west from here. Now, if I could just get someone to loan me a Model 3 and an extra set of wheels....

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not convinced that 18s sans aero covers and 19s are going to have significantly different range. It's just not clear to me that a larger, but same width, wheel with a lower aspect ratio, but same compound, tire necessarily has any significant difference in aero drag or rolling resistance.
Weight & huge aero difference at high speed due to covers. It won't be as pronounced of a difference as the 18's compared to whatever 20" aftermarket wheels that person had, but I believe there will be a noticeable difference.

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Didn't find a good thread dedicated to reporting range experiences, so I figured I'd make one.

Mod edit: concentrated all range related posts into pre-existing thread then edited title for completion.
Mike

Having a real winter here in Iowa for the first time in a few years, I'm getting a good handle on the real range in winter, though I have no warm weather to compare it to as a baseline (looking forward to having that, but it looks like it may be awhile). The first couple trips I took were moderate temps (mid 40s) and my Wh/mile ranged from ~310 down to ~280 depending on wind driving at 79mph on relatively flat terrain (we're not Nebraska or Illinois, but Iowa is still very flat for most of the state).
Yesterday and today I did the round trip to Minneapolis from Ames, with it being a bit colder and then adding in freezing rain. First chunk of the trip up, temperature was ranging from 22-25F, and my Wh/mile averaged ~390, while the second chunk after a super charger stop averaged ~360 with the temp rising from 25 to 30 over the course of the trip.

Coming home today was my first time in freezing rain, and while the car handled it just fine the range took a definite hit. Temps between 30 and 33, before getting into the freezing rain was running at a similar 360 Wh/mile to the previous day, but once the rain started it jumped to 400-410.

Also something to be aware of in this sort of weather, it seems that autopilot is not a fan of ice on the bumper, if it builds up too much it will beep loudly at you and tell you to take control, or if you are just in TACC it will simple disengage the TACC with no warning. Given the conditions I was paying extra close attention to how the system was working and cancelled the system immediately at the warning (I was not willing to run the experiment to see what it would do if I didn't cancel and take manual control...).

Overall very glad I went with the LR for my uses of the car as I don't think I'd be happy with the SR version in inclement weather.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Weight & huge aero difference at high speed due to covers. It won't be as pronounced of a difference as the 18's compared to whatever 20" aftermarket wheels that person had, but I believe there will be a noticeable difference.
It will be interesting to see as the Tesla base 18” wheel with aero cap at 23 lbs. and the stock Michelin at 26 lbs. totals 49 lbs. The optional 19” Tesla Sport wheel at 25 lbs. and the stock ContiPro RX at 23 lbs. totals 48 lbs. 1 pound less.

Last edited:

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have posted my range in MN separately (345 Wh/mi on a good cold day, 440 Wh/mi when cold (-15°F) but for comparison - rented a 3 on a trip to CA.

Drove it like I stole it. 4 adults in the car. SF across Golden Gate (around the park & to the lighthouse), to Fremont for a tour of the mothership, across the mountains to Half Moon Bay, via La Honda, up the coast, and back to SF.

. 186.1 miles. 298 Wh/mi

Did I mention that I drive it like I stole it?

5a2b4cb2-7970-4547-9a1a-8a3598e7c850-jpeg.6088

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hah, can't wait until we can regularly see those kinds of ranges around here! I hadn't seen your post on what you were getting even further up north, how long of trips do you usually drive? My average trip is about a 2.5 mile shoot up to 60 slow down to turn into work so not exactly great for looking at efficiency... (Leading to me only paying attention on trips out of town).

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah good, a thread about range. We've had our Model 3 since the middle of January. Spent its first month in CA and now it's in NM. Current total distance on the odometer is just over 2600 miles. If I assume a 75 kWh battery, I get an overall average range (from a full battery charge) of 300 miles = 75 kWh/(250 Wh/mi). That's including lots of "test" drives and a highway trip from LAX to Santa Fe (highway speeds are around 75 mph or so). Since it's been living here in NM, the range is more like 340 miles (220 Wh/mi) over the past 750 miles and we've had lots of days of cold and snow and lots more "test" drives by curious folks. Standard 18 inch wheels with Aero covers. That sort of range is almost a necessity out here, just from home to Albuquerque and back again is 200 miles.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Notice to anyone posting in this thread: mentioning your Wh/mi or range figures without mentioning what wheels you're on is meaningless.

Also, short trips in the cold will average higher Wh/mi than long trips in the cold.

Lastly, I love the fact that we're to the point where people are driving 79 mph in freezing weather in mass-market EVs and concerned that they may only get a couple hundred miles range ;)

Remember: (chart for Model S)

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Notice to anyone posting in this thread: mentioning your Wh/mi or range figures without mentioning what wheels you're on is meaningless.
Hi Karen. I did note that I was on 18 inch wheels with Aero covers :). To elaborate a bit more, I live and work in the mountains at about 2200 m above sea level and I've learned that altitude plays a significant role in gas mileage on ICE cars too, especially at higher speeds (less drag); I expect it's similar with EVs. My trips up to work in the morning are short, about 15 km and the car is parked outside at night, I occasionally scrape ice and snow off the windows in the morning. So, my 220 Wh/mi putzing back and forth to work is pretty darn good I think! BTW, has someone done a plot like the one above for the Model 3 yet? If not, I can try and take one. I'm an engineer in real life :)

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country

Also, short trips in the cold will average higher Wh/mi than long trips in the cold.

Lastly, I love the fact that we're to the point where people are driving 79 mph in freezing weather in mass-market EVs and concerned that they may only get a couple hundred miles range ;)

Remember: (chart for Model S)
79 mph...in freezing rain? The hell with range, I would be more worried about wrapping the car around a tree! LOL!

Dan