Range at High Temp

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Has anyone driven their Model 3 on a long trip on a hot day? I'm thinking 90+ degrees. Wondering how the estimated range changes when it's very hot. In town driving could be different as there would not be the same air flow to provide some cooling. But at highway speed, there may be some cooling effect. If there's an article on this with some reliable data, I'd love to know about it. Thanks.

Major Victory

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Best range I get is at 90deg, better than 80deg better than 70 etc...
Just need to watch a/c at 90 plus, cannot keep it frosty without a hit.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've done some road trips on 90+ days and I don't have exact data but I can tell you that running the AC, driving at 80+mph, the car will go farther than I can. With a full charge I've gone 292 miles with a bit to spare (not much mind you). Also I'm still waiting for the increased range, should be an easy 310 or so after that.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm in Florida, and had my car delivered in July. So I've had a few really hot months with it, but no trips longer than about 30 minutes on the highway at about 80 mph. Running the A/C wasn't really much of a drain, and the battery never got close to overheating. I do have well tinted windows, though. In either case, I haven't seen any unexpected losses of range.

Deadbattery

Country
Country
May 1-Oct1 I averaged 213 wh/mi Hottest days slightly higher. 70-80 seems to be the sweet spot. Winter much higher! grom October thru Feb my lifetime average jumped >30 wh/mi. Glad to be back in the drive to Boston and Back on 90% charge weather.