Random $XXX check from Tesla? A: refund of taxes on $5000 Performance refund.

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Quick math says that $5k will buy about 75,000 miles worth of supercharging. That's hard to do unless you perform all of your charging at superchargers. So financially, it makes sense to take the money.

But there's something very satisfying about telling everyone that you can drive cross-country for "free". Keeping the lifetime supercharging is more of an emotional thing, and that's ok. :)
I'll tell you what... you give me $5k and I'll let you bill me for all of your supercharging. I swear there's a business model here.

M3Pguy

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'd say it was the $5000. ;)

I basically just had to convince myself that it was best to act rationally. I'm going on a road trip tomorrow, so I'll see how bad it feels to pay for supercharging now. :p
Good trip? How much did you spend on SCing?

M3Pguy

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Very good trip.

Looks like I spent $66 on supercharging. It will take a LOT of road trips to reach $5000. ;)
Not bad at all. Looks like you'd need to take 75 more of those trips to reach $5k. Do you expect to keep your car long?
BTW, a Tesla rep told me they don't have a mechanism to remove FUSC if a car is sold, but that could change. Interesting, that may add value to resale, for those who kept FUSC, or, got both the $5k reduction and FUSC.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not bad at all. Looks like you'd need to take 75 more of those trips to reach $5k. Do you expect to keep your car long?
Yes I do. I had my minivan for 11 years and my Dodge for 13 years before getting the Leaf. I've had the Leaf for 6 years, but will probably trade it in soon - not enough range left in the degraded battery. :(

BTW, more details of my trip posted here.
BTW, a Tesla rep told me they don't have a mechanism to remove FUSC if a car is sold, but that could change. Interesting, that may add value to resale, for those who kept FUSC.
It should, but I doubt it will add anywhere close to $5k to the resale value.

M3Pguy

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yes I do. I had my minivan for 11 years and my Dodge for 13 years before getting the Leaf. I've had the Leaf for 6 years, but will probably trade it in soon - not enough range left in the degraded battery. :(

BTW, more details of my trip posted here.
It should, but I doubt it will add anywhere close to $5k to the resale value.
Thanks, I'll check out your trip post. Since you plan to keep for a while, that makes a decent case for keeping the FUSC, but, if not doing many road trips, that $5k is also a sound choice.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I received a $150 check in the mail from Tesla yesterday. There was no letter enclosed and no memo of what this money is for or why they sent it to me. Just a simple 1 page enclosure with detachable check. I haven't received any related emails or phone calls either.

We own two Model 3's (one performance, one LR RWD; both loaded including FSD) purchased in August/September and previous owner of a Model S, so I'm not even sure which vehicle this is related to. I already received my $5k refund on the performance in December. I'll be giving the customer service line a call when they open, but I'd be surprised if they'll be able to help. Has anyone else received a similar check?
Any updates on this? Guessing it was for taxes?