Rain-x without affecting auto wipers?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Has anyone tried putting Rain-x on their model 3 windshield and just skipping the area in front of the cameras? I read somewhere that the Rain-x fools the auto wipers algorithm so in theory just coating the rest of the windshield should be fine to avoid the chattering blades on Autopilot.

If I can find an easy way to remove the Rain-x if it fails I may give it a try.

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That sounds like a safe bet to me. I was about to put Rain X on my 3 and hadn't even considered the camera as an issue.

It goes on pretty clear, I would be surprised if it affected the camera as the focus is in the distance. Think if you are close to it and looking out, does having RainX vs not affect what you see at all?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
From what I've read the additional beading makes the camera think that there is more rain, the wipers run faster than necessary, and chatter badly along the dry glass.

I think this is also not completely unique to Tesla vision rain detection, I've read of it being a problem with other makes and auto wipers as well.

Rich Nuth

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Maybe that's why Tesla states the following in the owner's manuals:

Caution: Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently saw a video of a model 3 with a hydrophobic coating(higher end than Rain-X professionally installed) but they clearly had the wipers off. It kind of looked like as long as you were moving you didn't need the wipers at all. I'm trying to decide if I want to put that on my car.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since I discovered rain-x decades ago I have never driven without it on my windows. If you're really concerned about it, I'm pretty sure acetone will strip it off.
Don't say things like that. Somebody's liable to take that as serious advice.

Just use ammonia or vinegar.

Triangles

Country
Country
Don't say things like that. Somebody's liable to take that as serious advice.

Just use ammonia or vinegar.
Well if ammonia or vinegar work that would definitely be a safer choice. I only know acetone works from my experience with another vehicle. I had some tree sap that nothing else would remove from my windshield. It just so happened that it also removed the rain-x from that part of my windshield.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In my experience Rain-X can cause a little bit of hazing in some light rain situations, that's all I can think of interfering with the camera. If it's raining enough for the water to bead, than you SHOULD want the wipers to wipe.

I highly recommend upgrading to Aquapel, not so much for the slightly better performance but the fact that it lasts 10x as long. I think you will see less issues with hazing, streaking, and noise. Of course I don't have a 3 yet to confirm.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the suggestion.

Which kind? I see both "single use applicators" and an aerosol can for sale.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=aquapel
The single use applicators. One application should last you a year so don't get duped into a 20 pack.

The aerosol is glass cleaner. Not the same thing.

To apply aquapel, first clean your windshield as best you can (I've been crazy enough to use glass polish), then squeeze the applicator to crack the glass vial inside. Try not to sniff the toxic/delicious fumes, and quickly wipe it all over your windshield. You will only have a few minutes before the liquid dries so don't take your time. (That said, I've done two cars with one treatment!) Let it dry/haze for 5 minutes, then buff it off with paper towels. I usually do this each spring.

Back in the old days when I reviewed car care products I did a pretty extensive review of Aquapel vs Rain-X, along with a video starring a pocketPC and big camcorder...
http://www.jwardell.com/mini/2006/04/11/rain-x-vs-aquapel/

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Back in the old days when I reviewed car care products I did a pretty extensive review of Aquapel vs Rain-X, along with a video starring a pocketPC and big camcorder...
http://www.jwardell.com/mini/2006/04/11/rain-x-vs-aquapel/
I actually just searched to a comparison and that video was the first hit. First thought was “get a better camera, the entire windshield is a blur no matter the rain”. Then saw the pda and thought “ok, it was a few years ago”, then your user name ;)
You should make a new video next month with the 3 (see what I implied there?)

Triangles

Country
Country
I highly recommend upgrading to Aquapel, not so much for the slightly better performance but the fact that it lasts 10x as long. I think you will see less issues with hazing, streaking, and noise. Of course I don't have a 3 yet to confirm.
I'm not knocking on Aquapel but it seems like a ripoff. 1 application ($12) costs more than a bottle of rain-x ($8) that will last a dozen or so applications. Also I don't know where you got the idea that Aquapel last 10X longer. According to the manufacture it lasts up to 6 mo. compared to 3 mo for Rain-X. So at best it's 2X longer for about 7.5X the cost ($12/$1.6) assuming you apply rain-x twice as often and only get 10 applications out of an $8 bottle. Typically I apply rain-x every 6 months, once in the fall and once in the spring. Occasionally I do need an application in between. So if you like paying multiple times more for a marginally better product Aquapel makes sense. However for a cheap bastard like myself I'll stick to Rain-X and feast at Wendy's with my savings... :laughing:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
assuming you apply rain-x twice as often and only get 10 applications out of an $8 bottle
if you are only getting 10 applications out of a bottle, you are using way too much (or you found a much tinier bottle than I have).
In my experience, Rain-X will last 6 months, over the dry summer. But anywhere from a couple weeks to a few months when it is raining. I rarely need to use my wipers with Rain-X, but the more you do, the quicker it needs to be re-applied (but to your point, you buy a bottle, and it's good for years of use).

Triangles

Country
Country
I know you can easily get much more than 10 applications out of a bottle. I was trying to give Aquapel a best case scenario and not make it look even more stoopid expensive that it is. Trying to be objective and all...

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually just searched to a comparison and that video was the first hit. First thought was “get a better camera, the entire windshield is a blur no matter the rain”. Then saw the pda and thought “ok, it was a few years ago”, then your user name ;)
You should make a new video next month with the 3 (see what I implied there?)
Welcome to the most common statement from the youtube comment section. People forget that not everything on the internet is NOW.

I'm not knocking on Aquapel but it seems like a ripoff. 1 application ($12) costs more than a bottle of rain-x ($8) that will last a dozen or so applications. Also I don't know where you got the idea that Aquapel last 10X longer. According to the manufacture it lasts up to 6 mo. compared to 3 mo for Rain-X. So at best it's 2X longer for about 7.5X the cost ($12/$1.6) assuming you apply rain-x twice as often and only get 10 applications out of an $8 bottle. Typically I apply rain-x every 6 months, once in the fall and once in the spring. Occasionally I do need an application in between. So if you like paying multiple times more for a marginally better product Aquapel makes sense. However for a cheap bastard like myself I'll stick to Rain-X and feast at Wendy's with my savings... :laughing:
Is your time and labor free?
First, don't pay that much. I don't think I've ever paid more than $5-6.
Second, I am a much bigger fan of once a year than once a month. In my younger days I used to wash my car every week. I haven't even had a chance to wash it yet this year. That reminds me, my oil change is 4 months overdue too...remind me to get a car that doesn't need one next time.

Triangles

Country
Country
Is your time and labor free?
No but the few minutes it takes to apply RainX while I am already spending time washing my car isn't a burden.
First, don't pay that much. I don't think I've ever paid more than $5-6.
Second, I am a much bigger fan of once a year than once a month. In my younger days I used to wash my car every week. I haven't even had a chance to wash it yet this year. That reminds me, my oil change is 4 months overdue too...remind me to get a car that doesn't need one next time.
Please share with us. Where you can find it that cheap? I too am a fan of less work and would probably be willing to spend a little extra for something that lasts twice as long. The problem here is the fact that the fancy sauce costs almost an order of magnitude more. If you like it and it's worth it to you to pay that much more for it, then I am happy for you. However your posts seem like that of a salesman twisting facts to push a product. Either that or you are confused as to how long these products last. Allow me to help. Aquapel lasts 6 months NOT a year. Rain-X lasts 3 months NOT 1 month. Do you get a commission on, or have a vested interest in Aquapel? That would explain a lot.