Radar Sensor...I found one!!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is a radar sensor smack dab in the middle of the nose, just a couple inches below the tip of the hood. The Front Radar. png shows it as red.
How did I find it? I cleverly placed a replica of my license plate centered on the car's nose, and by golly the top seems to have been reflecting radio waves right back into the radar. This came to my attention when my EAP would quit the job about 10 to 15 minutes into use. Very frustrating when beginning a 680 mile weekend.

In the interest of SCIENCE, I had the top 1.5 inches of the sticker trimmed, thus removing the name of the state. Magically, my several thousand dollar EAP feature returned to fulltime use.

When I looked at the owner's manual, I did see the diagram on page 58 which makes it look way the heck off to the passenger/port side. The diagram on page 3 shows the radar a little more centered, but also lower. But then again, diagram 3 doesn't show the radar explicitly.

The moral of the story: Keep any metal-like stickers close to replicating the stock plate holder, low toward the battery cooling grill, and away from that cute little nose.

front-radar-png.14986

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is a radar sensor smack dab in the middle of the nose, just a couple inches below the tip of the hood. The Front Radar. png shows it as red.
How did I find it? I cleverly placed a replica of my license plate centered on the car's nose, and by golly the top seems to have been reflecting radio waves right back into the radar. This came to my attention when my EAP would quit the job about 10 to 15 minutes into use. Very frustrating when beginning a 680 mile weekend.

In the interest of SCIENCE, I had the top 1.5 inches of the sticker trimmed, thus removing the name of the state. Magically, my several thousand dollar EAP feature returned to fulltime use.

When I looked at the owner's manual, I did see the diagram on page 58 which makes it look way the heck off to the passenger/port side. The diagram on page 3 shows the radar a little more centered, but also lower. But then again, diagram 3 doesn't show the radar explicitly.

The moral of the story: Keep any metal-like stickers close to replicating the stock plate holder, low toward the battery cooling grill, and away from that cute little nose.
View attachment 14984 View attachment 14985
View attachment 14986
not to mention totally illegal in WA

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
MelindaV, I think the word you want is "unlawful, not illegal.
But it is also unlawful to place a tinted plastic cover on the plate.
And unlawful to skip having the front plate at all.
What I have learned is that Avery makes the reflective sticker material, just like the tab stickers for month and year of registration expiration, that come from the state.
The individual numbers are printed, just like as on the aluminum plates from the state.
Once mounted, the big sticker is tamper resistant; like impossible to remove without shredding and stretching it.
The sticker is also much easier to keep clean and will not shred my microfiber cloth or my hand.
All in all, the state should offer such a sticker as a premium option.

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
https://www.thestreet.com/story/10376739/1/unlawful-vs-illegal.html

"Black's Law Dictionary defines unlawful as "not authorized by law, illegal." Illegal is defined as "forbidden by law, unlawful." Semantically, there is a slight difference. It seems that something illegal is expressly proscribed by statute, and something unlawful is just not expressly authorized.

"Jaywalking is a good example of an unlawful act. Traffic regulations do not typically say that you cannot walk diagonally through an intersection. So, it is not illegal. Rather, traffic regulations typically provide that you can cross within a crosswalk when the little walky-man appears. Crossing in any other way is unlawful because it is not expressly permitted."

Illegal = ill eagle = sick bird

My sticker may not follow the letter of the law, but I assert that my sticker follows intent of the law.
It clearly , uniquely identifies my car, to persons, traffic cameras, tolling cameras, and laser speed detectors. And I have reached out to the state, suggesting that sticker plates should be a premium option offered by the state, for convenience and incremental revenue.

When I am questioned about it, I will pull the plate out of the glove box and lean it on the backside of the display, where it can perch quite happily.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...something unlawful is just not expressly authorized.
Woah.

I always thought that Amendment 10 precluded that. Something is only unlawful if and only if there is a law prohibiting it.

Article [X] (Amendment 10 - Reserved Powers)
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.