Radar Detector / Camera wiring options

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I changed the spade connector to a 5mm one and hooked it up to the VCLEFT plug. I was just mentioning that I had a hard time reaching that plug without removing the kick panel. Struggled for about 20 minutes until I decided to remove the kick panel.
got it. did you watch a video on how to remove that kick panel? link?

where did you ground? do you have to 'power off' the car to ground it?

mrb

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
got it. did you watch a video on how to remove that kick panel? link?

where did you ground? do you have to 'power off' the car to ground it?
Yes it was a video someone shared on this thread.

I grounded on the 15mm bolt in the photo. I didn’t power off the car or anything. Only thing was the ground ring on the wiring was too small to fit around the bolt. I just sandwiched part of the ring between the bolt and surface if that makes sense. It has been a couple weeks and no issues of it coming out so keeping my fingers crossed.

Attachments

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
is there a video on howto remove the kick panel so its not a blind connection? i cant get it in there.
Unfortunately you can't remove the part of the dash that blocks you from plugging into the front left controller. There's a video that shows the only view of the connection through a small hole.

Some may find it easier to tap the blue 12v wire instead, which can be done in a more easily accessed spot behind the bottom left plastic that is easily removed.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately you can't remove the part of the dash that blocks you from plugging into the front left controller. There's a video that shows the only view of the connection through a small hole.

Some may find it easier to tap the blue 12v wire instead, which can be done in a more easily accessed spot behind the bottom left plastic that is easily removed.
thanks for that!

is there any downfall from tapping that blue wire instead of that 5mm spade spot?

do i just buy any posi-tap for that blue wire?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
thanks for that!

is there any downfall from tapping that blue wire instead of that 5mm spade spot?

do i just buy any posi-tap for that blue wire?
Not as clean, more likely to fail, but not really. I think it's a 16 gauge. Should be documented much earlier in this or the other thread.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My not so clean install of V1 using radar mount and a 2-to-1 cigarette lighter adapter. Wanted to run the wire under the center console trims, just too lazy for the time being.

Parts used:

Loved the 2-to-1 adapter with plug and sockets separated so there are no placement issues.

Edit: the radar mount link doesn't seem to be working, ASIN: B0063N7UGA

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry for the bad pics and i just used paint to put a red line to the route I used.

I basically used a rounded rubber thing and my Chargepoint Card to:

1. Tuck the line into the headliner, i couldn't figure out how to remove the center mirror/camera cover. So I chose the path of least resistance.
2. Route behind the the A pillar,
3. Down the door seal (That Chargepoint card really came in handy.)
4. Behind the kick panel. I started by pulling up the driver side tunnel and the rest pops off. I didn't remove completely as I just routed the wire in and behind the panel. There are two little tabs on it, toward the firewall that you'll need to tuck in behind before snapping it all back into place. You'll see, just grab a flashlight.
5. Then I just followed a seam that runs right under the steering area. You can sort of wiggle the wire through.
6. Removed he driver side center console trim
7. Removed the Driver side Center console trim bracket (there's a youtube on this part, you'll need a star shaped Hex wrench/driver tool and remove all the screws.
8. Routed wire behind the Driver Side center console trim bracket
9. I removed the little rubber bumper on the arm rest and drilled a hole and made a slot to route the wire under it. then replaced it back as I noticed the arm rest has a lot of movement without it.
10. Put your car back together and plug in the 12v or splice into the 12v wiring. there was a youtube vid on how to remove the cup holders pieces as well in case you want to hard wire.
Nice! Now I have to figure out how to run the rear camera wiring!

RoccoX

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey guys, so I pick up my Model 3 on Friday, I have always mounted my radar detectors at the bottom of the windshield. I just finished reviewing this thread, I am assuming their is a reason why people are not doing this (touch screen blocks it?), but did not see one mentioned. Has anyone put it their? While I am handy I was hoping not to tear too deep into the car to get it installed. And it seems that BlendMount is really the only mounting option for the mirror unless I missed something?

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey guys, so I pick up my Model 3 on Friday, I have always mounted my radar detectors at the bottom of the windshield. I just finished reviewing this thread, I am assuming their is a reason why people are not doing this (touch screen blocks it?), but did not see one mentioned. Has anyone put it their? While I am handy I was hoping not to tear too deep into the car to get it installed. And it seems that BlendMount is really the only mounting option for the mirror unless I missed something?
I think the reason it's not being used at bottom of windshield is b/c it's too far from driver seating position. I'd imagine most of us want our detectors within arm's reach in case we need to adjust something. I know I am needing to hit mute pretty often on my V1.

RoccoX

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the reason it's not being used at bottom of windshield is b/c it's too far from driver seating position. I'd imagine most of us want our detectors within arm's reach in case we need to adjust something. I know I am needing to hit mute pretty often on my V1.
Ah thanks my friend, I will likely run it at the bottom of my dash for now, then when it gets warmer up here hard wire it. My garage is too small and cluttered to even think of getting to vcleft inside :)

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah thanks my friend, I will likely run it at the bottom of my dash for now, then when it gets warmer up here hard wire it. My garage is too small and cluttered to even think of getting to vcleft inside :)
Can also just run it to the center console like me and others have done. Tapping vcleft or one of the wires in the driver footwell has been discouraged by Tesla techs, and they do know when the install triggers errors.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Radar detectors should be mounted high and level for a better line of sight to the radar guns they are trying to detect.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Radar detectors should be mounted high and level for a better line of sight to the radar guns they are trying to detect.
Detectors will get the very best range at the top, yes, but not everyone cares that much. :) Some would happily give up a few percent of range for a less obtrusive location or an easier install. In my younger days I absolutely had my V1 mounted top dead center with a remote display right next to my hand, and two sets of laser jammers to boot...in my older age I don't care so much. I've reverted to mounting it in the lower right corner, and I only very rarely actually have the detector there on trips in other states. That location is extremely easy to wire with the power tap just below at the bottom of the a-piller, then jam the wire between panels for a little bit. Nice and hidden. You can say the same of the detector itself, in that corner not visible to passing cars. And a Uniden at the bottom is still going to have way more range than others at the top...
(Are we all ready to jump ship again to Rodenso?)

Bottom line is to know what is best for you, that goes for investment of money and/or time, and priority of performance or looks or convenience.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Detectors will get the very best range at the top, yes, but not everyone cares that much. :) Some would happily give up a few percent of range for a less obtrusive location or an easier install. In my younger days I absolutely had my V1 mounted top dead center with a remote display right next to my hand, and two sets of laser jammers to boot...in my older age I don't care so much. I've reverted to mounting it in the lower right corner, and I only very rarely actually have the detector there on trips in other states. That location is extremely easy to wire with the power tap just below at the bottom of the a-piller, then jam the wire between panels for a little bit. Nice and hidden. You can say the same of the detector itself, in that corner not visible to passing cars. And a Uniden at the bottom is still going to have way more range than others at the top...
(Are we all ready to jump ship again to Rodenso?)

Bottom line is to know what is best for you, that goes for investment of money and/or time, and priority of performance or looks or convenience.
With the exception of having the remote for V1, I'd avoid putting the detector at the bottom of windshield for Model 3 just because it's too far away to press mute or change volume.