Model 3
Country
Country

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I followed the instructions on livingtesla.com to mount and wire my blendmount and V1.
They do good work. I plan to do the same eventually, but I'm lazy. I have a 14' cable running through the trim and back to the lighter outlet, and it's not visible, so I haven't been motivated yet. But one thing they told me that stays in the back of my mind is that the hardwire-tapped power source will shut down when the car is off. The lighter outlet doesn't shut down until the car goes to sleep, which takes a couple hours when it's connected to wifi, or never when I'm at work (Sentry/charging). It would be nice to not have to power the V1 down manually every morning.

Defjukie

Country
Country
I just hardwired my Uniden R3 a couple days ago, and I can confirm that the spare tap in the white harness within VCleft (originally pointed out by Ingineerix) still provides switched 12V with no delay. I have read that this spot is now populated on newer cars, presumably for the tow hitch.

As I'm typing this out, I realize I have not yet tested whether it shuts off even when Sentry mode is active. Will report after I do.

Defjukie

Country
Country
I just hardwired my Uniden R3 a couple days ago, and I can confirm that the spare tap in the white harness within VCleft (originally pointed out by Ingineerix) still provides switched 12V with no delay. I have read that this spot is now populated on newer cars, presumably for the tow hitch.

As I'm typing this out, I realize I have not yet tested whether it shuts off even when Sentry mode is active. Will report after I do.
I can confirm that the VCLeft tap point still shuts off, even with Sentry Mode active.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I can confirm that the VCLeft tap point still shuts off, even with Sentry Mode active.
I just registered (planning to purchase a Model 3 this year). I'm active on RDForums.

Searching the web, I've read multiple tales of how the "latest update" seems to make the 12V systems remain ON all the time (no longer switched).

I'm glad to hear that Ingineerix method (VCleft) still works for switched 12V.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just registered (planning to purchase a Model 3 this year). I'm active on RDForums.

Searching the web, I've read multiple tales of how the "latest update" seems to make the 12V systems remain ON all the time (no longer switched).

I'm glad to hear that Ingineerix method (VCleft) still works for switched 12V.
Welcome! It's been a long time since I was over at radardetector.net forums, seems like most moved over to RDF.
Accessory 12v is still switched, but only off once car goes to sleep, which is 15-45 min after exit, or never if Sentry mode is activated. 2018 firmware switched off accessories immediately after you exited the car.
The unused pins that Phil posted are intended for things like trailer and air suspension that so far haven't been changed by software. Things could always change, though.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Thank you for the welcome!

I can deal with 15-45 min after exit, so long as it turns off! (And back on for startup).

Geez I hope that doesn't change! I don't want to manually turn these things on and off.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I can deal with 15-45 min after exit, so long as it turns off! (And back on for startup).

Geez I hope that doesn't change! I don't want to manually turn these things on and off.
The easily way I tell if my car isn't sleeping is if I see my dash cam blinking away all night from inside the house :)
But not really any big deal because unlike an ICE car there is a giant battery that can power those things for a month

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Yeah, I charge at work on a 3kW circuit, so it tends to stay awake most of the day and I have to manually turn off my detector every morning. I'm planning to hardwire to VCLeft, but I'm waiting to see what Valentine Research comes out with next.