Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here’s the text of the letter:

Dear Legislator,

I’m writing to you to express my full support for electric vehicles (EVs), and to urge you to leave the EV tax credit under Section 30D alone. Repealing the credit under H.R. 1 would have a devastating effect on the EV industry, and would affect hundreds of thousands of workers in the auto industry and the electric utility industry who are manufacturing the vehicles and preparing for greater adoption of EVs throughout the country.

Repealing the Section 30D tax credit will also hurt constituents like me. This federal tax credit is a key incentive that helps drivers make the switch to driving electric. EVs provide a multitude of benefits that accrue to all citizens too, such as promoting jobs, technology and innovation, reducing air pollution, and promoting national security by heavily reducing our reliance on foreign oil, since these vehicles are powered mainly by domestic, locally-sourced electricity.

Moreover, repealing the Section 30D tax credit essentially hands the leadership in this sector to China, who is moving aggressively towards deployment of these vehicles. The current EV industry is biased towards American manufacturing. Major automakers (General Motors, Ford, Nissan, Tesla, BMW, Kia, and more) manufacture these vehicles in the U.S. today – a stark difference to the manufacturing of gas-powered cars. Repealing the Section 30D EV tax credit will slow adoption of the vehicles, which will slow production of the cars in the U.S, hurting jobs.

This credit already has a cap on when it will expire – when each automaker has sold 200,000 EVs. There’s absolutely no need to end the credit now. I urge you to leave the Section 30D EV tax credit alone.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for the link. I modified the text a bit but this makes it so easy. I encourage not only to state your support but to encourage them to speak loudly about this point.

Sometimes I think I have no need to write my senator as Elizabeth Warren is already fighting so hard for so many of these issues, but she's also often go the spotlight on her so it would be best if she specifically mentioned this in her laundry list.

It's very important to let them know that this is not just money out of our pockets, but will help lose our competitive edge in innovation to China etc.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here’s the text of the letter:

Dear Legislator,

I’m writing to you to express my full support for electric vehicles (EVs), and to urge you to leave the EV tax credit under Section 30D alone. Repealing the credit under H.R. 1 would have a devastating effect on the EV industry, and would affect hundreds of thousands of workers in the auto industry and the electric utility industry who are manufacturing the vehicles and preparing for greater adoption of EVs throughout the country.

Repealing the Section 30D tax credit will also hurt constituents like me. This federal tax credit is a key incentive that helps drivers make the switch to driving electric. EVs provide a multitude of benefits that accrue to all citizens too, such as promoting jobs, technology and innovation, reducing air pollution, and promoting national security by heavily reducing our reliance on foreign oil, since these vehicles are powered mainly by domestic, locally-sourced electricity.

Moreover, repealing the Section 30D tax credit essentially hands the leadership in this sector to China, who is moving aggressively towards deployment of these vehicles. The current EV industry is biased towards American manufacturing. Major automakers (General Motors, Ford, Nissan, Tesla, BMW, Kia, and more) manufacture these vehicles in the U.S. today – a stark difference to the manufacturing of gas-powered cars. Repealing the Section 30D EV tax credit will slow adoption of the vehicles, which will slow production of the cars in the U.S, hurting jobs.

This credit already has a cap on when it will expire – when each automaker has sold 200,000 EVs. There’s absolutely no need to end the credit now. I urge you to leave the Section 30D EV tax credit alone.

Thank you.

Respectfully,
thanks! here's my edited version sent to my Senators and Rep:

I’m writing to you to express my full support for electric vehicles (EVs), and to urge you to let the EV tax credit under Section 30D remain as it currently is written. Allowing the Repeal of the credit under H.R. 1 would have a devastating effect on the EV industry in the United States and would affect hundreds of thousands of workers in the auto industry and directly go against the dedication Washington State has shown toward the adoption of EVs.

Repealing the Section 30D tax credit will also hurt constituents like myself. This federal tax credit is a key incentive that helps drivers make the switch to driving a zero emissions vehicle. Without this tax credit, many would not be able to step up to an EV - which often comes with a premium price tag for the new technology. The argument has often been made by the oil industry supporters that EVs and EV manufacturers should not get special treatment, but they do not take into account the multitude of credits and subsidies provided to the oil industry. The Section 30D tax credit does not give EVs an unfair advantage over fossil fuel burning vehicles, but instead is an effort to level the playing field while EVs get off the ground.

EVs provide a multitude of benefits that accrue to all citizens too, such as promoting jobs, technology and innovation, reducing air pollution, and promoting national security by reducing our reliance on foreign oil, since these vehicles are powered mainly by domestic, locally-sourced electricity; in my case from the clean hydro-electric plant at Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River.

Repealing the Section 30D EV tax credit will certainly slow adoption of the vehicles, which will slow production of the cars in the U.S, and ultimately reduce clean environmentally friendly jobs.

This credit already has a phaseout expiration – when each automaker has sold 200,000 EVs. For a number of manufacturers this 200k threshold will be reached within this coming year. There is no need to end the credit early.

I urge you to stand up for the Section 30D EV tax credit and Washington State's stance on EVs and a cleaner future in our state.
I have full confidence in my state's Senators in standing up for the EV credit. 'My' rep... not so much.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just sent the version below to my (dyed-in-blue) Massachusetts delegation. I am 100% confident that they need no convincing on this issue, but I also know that they need the encouragement of their constituents to stay strong, stand up and keep fighting. Not writing to them was not an option.

=============================

Dear Representative,

The number of reasons to oppose H.R. 1 is truly mind-boggling. As someone who has faithfully and steadfastly represented me in Congress for several years, I know I don't need to enumerate them for you, nor do I need to convince you to stand in opposition.

That being said, I would like to draw your attention to one particular provision of this bill that strikes at an issue that I care deeply about: promoting the availability and adoption of electric vehicles in effort to combat climate change, promote innovation, and support our nation's economy.

As you may know, H.R. 1 would immediately end the Section 30D EV tax credit, which serves as a major catalyst for prospective car-buyers to consider (and, in many cases, choose) an electric vehicle. Incentives like the federal EV tax credit (and the Massachusetts MOR-EV program) play a critical role in spurring EV adoption, which in turn reduces greenhouse gases and our country's dependence on foreign oil, and promotes the innovation and modernization of our transportation infrastructure.

Indeed, repealing the EV credit under H.R. 1 would have a devastating effect on forward-thinking, domestic automakers like Tesla and General Motors, and would adversely affect the hundreds of thousands of hard-working Americans that these companies employ. Is this how we reward innovation here in the United States?

Repealing the Section 30D tax credit will also hurt constituents like me. I have been driving an electric car for 5 years now, and I have used every opportunity to promote the benefits of EVs to friends, family and co-workers. Nearly every time I mention the federal tax credit to someone for the first time, their eyes immediately light up with epiphany -- "Really?! How did I not know about this?!" -- and I can see that their mind has suddenly been opened to the idea that their next car could be electric. If the Section 30D tax credit is repealed, many of those minds will slam shut just as quickly, and our community, our country, and our environment will bear the consequences.

Finally, let's recall that the federal EV tax credit already has a built-in cap and sunset period, which is triggered after each automaker has sold 200,000 EVs. Two (if not three) manufacturers are likely to cross that threshold within the next year. As a result, anyone with a calculator can easily see that repealing the Section 30D credit immediately produces minimal cost savings versus letting it sunset on its own. Not to mention that those cost savings pale in comparison to the overall cost of H.R. 1.

For the sake of our environment, our economy, and our tradition of American innovation and leadership, we must preserve the Section 30D tax credit. Please stand up for me and for the thousands of other EV drivers, buyers, and supporters here in Massachusetts and ensure that the credit remains untouched.

Thank you for your support, and for your continued faithful representation. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if I can be of any help in this area.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If this legislation passes will it be effective for 2017 taxes? Or not until 2018?
As written it would effect all cars purchased after 12/31/2017, so 2018 tax year. Taxes filed in 2018 for 2017 would be ok.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those interested in reading the proposed tax act, it is available here:
https://waysandmeansforms.house.gov/uploadedfiles/bill_text.pdf

The ramifications are huge. The average individual who itemizes their taxes, especially if you are deducting home loan interest, student loans, pay state income tax, deductible medical expenses, on and on.... should be fighting this big time. The EV credit is the least of it. Everything else adds up to many times more than the loss of this one $7500 credit.
If you are a business, you will come out great with this plan. Individuals, not so much.