Questions about Buying a Tesla in Michigan in 2021

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

Taney71

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm going to likely buy a Model Y sometime this year and I live in Michigan. I already have a Model 3 that I bought back in 2018 but that was before the Tesla and state of Michigan lawsuit settlement. The settlement has been awesome for me because Tesla opened up the Detroit-Clarkston service center where I got my car serviced last summer. However, even after talking to a Tesla sales representative, I'm not sure of how Tesla sales in Michigan currently works. Here's my questions (thanks in advance if anyone can answer them):

• Can I pick up a new Tesla car (of course after I order it online) in the state of Michigan? Specially can I take delivery at the Clarkson location?
  • If the answer is "yes" to taking delivery at the Clarkson location (or another location) is there still the process of having to receive a Ohio title, temporary plates, etc.? I'm asking because I want to know if Tesla is able to handle all the car tagging like a regular dealership now. This University of Michigan Law write up of the settlement seems to suggest Tesla can sell cars in Michigan without constraints.

Thanks again in advance and sorry if these questions have been answer in other posts. I looked up Michigan in the forums search feature and didn't really see my questions answered in any post.

Jacobmarley

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm going to likely buy a Model Y sometime this year and I live in Michigan. I already have a Model 3 that I bought back in 2018 but that was before the Tesla and state of Michigan lawsuit settlement. The settlement has been awesome for me because Tesla opened up the Detroit-Clarkston service center where I got my car serviced last summer. However, even after talking to a Tesla sales representative, I'm not sure of how Tesla sales in Michigan currently works. Here's my questions (thanks in advance if anyone can answer them):

• Can I pick up a new Tesla car (of course after I order it online) in the state of Michigan? Specially can I take delivery at the Clarkson location?
  • If the answer is "yes" to taking delivery at the Clarkson location (or another location) is there still the process of having to receive a Ohio title, temporary plates, etc.? I'm asking because I want to know if Tesla is able to handle all the car tagging like a regular dealership now. This University of Michigan Law write up of the settlement seems to suggest Tesla can sell cars in Michigan without constraints.

Thanks again in advance and sorry if these questions have been answer in other posts. I looked up Michigan in the forums search feature and didn't really see my questions answered in any post.
Hey Taney71
I took delivery of my 2021 M3 long range in December 2020. I ordered online in October and picked up December in Clarkston/Detroit. Ive never bought a brand new car before so I dont have much to compare it to. I got a Michigan title in the mail a week or two after I got the car home. I transferred my plate from my previous car (02 jetta tdi) and they did pretty much everything for me. I sent them my registration and they did the transferring. If I can answer any more questions let me know. Also im in Grand Rapids if your around this area lets grab a drink sometime I don’t know any tesla owners in person.

Jacob

Reactions: mrau and iChris93

Taney71

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey Taney71
I took delivery of my 2021 M3 long range in December 2020. I ordered online in October and picked up December in Clarkston/Detroit. Ive never bought a brand new car before so I dont have much to compare it to. I got a Michigan title in the mail a week or two after I got the car home. I transferred my plate from my previous car (02 jetta tdi) and they did pretty much everything for me. I sent them my registration and they did the transferring. If I can answer any more questions let me know. Also im in Grand Rapids if your around this area lets grab a drink sometime I don’t know any tesla owners in person.

Jacob
Oh, wow. Many thanks. I thought I wouldn't get any responses after this thread went dead.

Just so I'm clear (sorry for being dense), when you say that you "sent them" your registration and "they did the transferring" .... you mean Tesla did all that, right? If that's the case then Tesla is acting more like a traditional dealership now where they can do the registration and title done.

So I'm also assuming that you didn't have to go to the Michigan Secretary of State to get your license plate, right? Thanks!

Oh, I live in Ann Arbor or otherwise I would love to grab a drink to trade Tesla experiences stories.

Jacobmarley

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Oh, wow. Many thanks. I thought I wouldn't get any responses after this thread went dead.

Just so I'm clear (sorry for being dense), when you say that you "sent them" your registration and "they did the transferring" .... you mean Tesla did all that, right? If that's the case then Tesla is acting more like a traditional dealership now where they can do the registration and title done.

So I'm also assuming that you didn't have to go to the Michigan Secretary of State to get your license plate, right? Thanks!

Oh, I live in Ann Arbor or otherwise I would love to grab a drink to trade Tesla experiences stories.
Yes, a few weeks before the pick up date I sent them my current registration on my Jetta. They did the transferring, and had it ready when I picked up. I brought my license plate from my Jetta with me to the dealership and they installed it for me. I never went to the SOS. I hope your pick up goes as smooth as mine!

Reactions: mrau and iChris93

Taney71

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, a few weeks before the pick up date I sent them my current registration on my Jetta. They did the transferring, and had it ready when I picked up. I brought my license plate from my Jetta with me to the dealership and they installed it for me. I never went to the SOS. I hope your pick up goes as smooth as mine!
Thanks again! I've sold off my second car so it looks like I will not need to do a registration/plate transfer. I'm guessing that with my situation is that I will get the Michigan title in the mail like you but they will give me a Michigan plate when I pick up the car (not a temporary one).