Question: Wife HATES "regenerative braking" feature on Model S Test Drive...

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

jtdiddy

Country
Country
I've never driven a tesla so sorry for my ignorant question but if ur on the freeway and someone brakes hard immediately in front of me, I'm supposed to take my foot off the accelerator instead of slamming on the brakes?

Model34mePlease

Country
Country
I've never driven a tesla so sorry for my ignorant question but if ur on the freeway and someone brakes hard immediately in front of me, I'm supposed to take my foot off the accelerator instead of slamming on the brakes?
By all means slam on the brake. That probably also means taking your foot off the accelerator, which will apply regenerative braking, but you need more braking that can only be supplied by the brake pedal.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Taking your foot off of the accelerator and not placing it on the brake is for gradually slowing down.

If you've ever driven a manual transmission vehicle it's a similar concept to downshifting and rowing through the gears to engine brake rather than using the brake pedal.

If you need to stop fast you're still going to be stepping on the brake pedal as hard as you need to.

The only difference is that it's not like an automatic ICE car where it continues to glide forward when you lift from the accelerator.

Country
Country
And don't forget, the car will come standard with automatic emergency braking, which will likely kick in before you can move your foot.
Hey John, so this is truly standard, not part of the normal advanced/self driving features?! I dont plan on adding any of the self driving/autopilot on my initial order. I'm going to pay the $1000 upcharge in the future and add it at the Tesla shop.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey John, so this is truly standard, not part of the normal advanced/self driving features?! I dont plan on adding any of the self driving/autopilot on my initial order. I'm going to pay the $1000 upcharge in the future and add it at the Tesla shop.
Just to give you the visual proof to what @garsh confirmed above. Check it out for yourself right from the design studio (left hand side)!

9495e590-44f4-4170-bdd5-f916ac110b3d-jpg.2882

gmxeon

Country
Country
That would be nice if true.

My Leaf drops regen permanently once it hits a bump. You have to completely take your foot off the brake before regen will start working again. Quite annoying.
My 2014 LEAF does not have that problem, odd. There is a slight acceleration or deceleration when I go over a bump due to it affecting how far the pedal is depressed (significantly more noticeable in non-eco mode), but it has never actually stopped regeneration (I confirmed that by checking the "power" meter on the dash as well as the eco power distribution page in the center console when I first noticed the slight oddity when going over a bump).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My 2014 LEAF does not have that problem, odd.
You probably just haven't hit a big pothole/bump while braking down a really steep hill. There are a couple roads in particular where this tends to be an issue for me.

KennethK

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
@TrevP you mentioned in today's video that the i3 has very strong Regen. Is it a lot greater than in an S? I particularly like strong Regen and the ability to quickly come to a stop or feather the Regen a bit when not so much is needed. I'll be testing an S out next week so I'll pay more attention to that aspect.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah, I feel it's stronger than the Model S. Don't forget the i3 is pretty light compared to the S so I'm sure that's accentuating the effect. At least on the S you can chose something lighter but you can't on the i3