Question for those with car seats...

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m sure more of you have them, but I know for sure @RiggerJon and @danzgator.

I installed the kid’s car seats today and they’re identical.

The left rear seat now throws a seatbelt warning as the seat is most likely tripping the occupied sensor.

I’m scratching my head as to why it doesn’t happen on both sides, but also curious if you guys had this issue?

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen this with one of the grandkids' seats in our M3. I wonder if it's how tight you pull the belts that use the LATCH system, as that seems to put downward pressure on the seat.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen this with one of the grandkids' seats in our M3. I wonder if it's how tight you pull the belts that use the LATCH system, as that seems to put downward pressure on the seat.
I had that thought was well. They felt evenly ("very") tight, but it's possible one is just a pinch tighter.

Country
Country
Question...I need to hook up two car seats when i pick up the M3 but notice the "leather" is up tight against each other. In my current A6, Audi has actually built in a plastic box so that it doesn't ruin the material. Have you noticed any damage to your back seats as a result of using the latch system since it spreads the material apart to plug in?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Question...I need to hook up two car seats when i pick up the M3 but notice the "leather" is up tight against each other. In my current A6, Audi has actually built in a plastic box so that it doesn't ruin the material. Have you noticed any damage to your back seats as a result of using the latch system since it spreads the material apart to plug in?
I don’t think so, but I can double check tomorrow. To be honest the seats have been in untouched for 2 months. I do have seat back/bottom protectors though.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
How bad do the seats dent when car seats are installed? I'll probably throw a towel under my son's seat. Thankfully we only have one left in a booster and he should be out of it in a year or two so I don't want to spend on a protector for a short time and since it is just a booster.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you so much!
Everything looks and feels ok! Here’s a picture so it’s hard to see. My seat protector is between the LATCH connection and the seat.

4c5e9197-0bcf-4907-aafa-fb52b388779f-jpeg.7300

How bad do the seats dent when car seats are installed? I'll probably throw a towel under my son's seat. Thankfully we only have one left in a booster and he should be out of it in a year or two so I don't want to spend on a protector for a short time and since it is just a booster.
I got 2 of these and highly recommend them!

Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seatsaver

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Remember the LATCH system can only be used for children up to 40 pounds/18 kg (in Canada). After that you have to switch to the seatbelts or check with the vehicle manufacturer whether the system will support more weight. And you’re not supposed to use both together.

When you switch to the seatbelt make sure you put your weight on the seat and pull tight, then pull the seatbelt all the way out and let it back in. It should make a ratcheting sound as it goes back in. If it doesn’t you can use a locking device on the belt.

If you are unsure about correct installation, many fire departments (in Ontario, at least) have trained child seat technicians on duty who can help with proper installation.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
this is the only minor problem I have with my 3. Two car seats, both using latch. one rear facing and one forward facing. The seat behind the drivers side (left side) gives a warning that the seatbelt is unbuckled but the right side (rear facing, lighter younger child) does not. Of course my wife insists that there is something wrong with the install and that is why we are getting the warning.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
this is the only minor problem I have with my 3. Two car seats, both using latch. one rear facing and one forward facing. The seat behind the drivers side (left side) gives a warning that the seatbelt is unbuckled but the right side (rear facing, lighter younger child) does not. Of course my wife insists that there is something wrong with the install and that is why we are getting the warning.
Have you tried buckling the seatbelt behind the car seats?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As Garsh said, try buckling the seatbelt behind the car seat.

Remember, LATCH systems are usually only good up to 40lbs (about 18 kg). Once your child weighs more than that you are supposed to switch to using the seatbelt to restrain the seat. You are not really supposed to use both together.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As Garsh said, try buckling the seatbelt behind the car seat.

Remember, LATCH systems are usually only good up to 40lbs (about 18 kg). Once your child weighs more than that you are supposed to switch to using the seatbelt to restrain the seat. You are not really supposed to use both together.
That seems crazy to me. Note I’m not calling you crazy just the process as I’m at that point with my oldest.

With LATCH I guarantee no play in the seat. With a seatbelt, the seat is going to move. I don’t get it...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That seems crazy to me. Note I’m not calling you crazy just the process as I’m at that point with my oldest.

With LATCH I guarantee no play in the seat. With a seatbelt, the seat is going to move. I don’t get it...
It is more about the strength of the LATCH components vs seatbelt components than the wiggle room. In an at speed crash, the seatbelt is rated for heavier forces, the LATCH may fail (or the child seat connectors). It will not matter if there is a bit of play with the seatbelt install, because the seat will stay in place vs a LATCH install could break free.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is more about the strength of the LATCH components vs seatbelt components than the wiggle room. In an at speed crash, the seatbelt is rated for heavier forces, the LATCH may fail (or the child seat connectors). It will not matter if there is a bit of play with the seatbelt install, because the seat will stay in place vs a LATCH install could break free.
Alright that made way too much sense. I was so hung up on having too much play, but you’re spot on it doesn’t matter if the seat wiggles when you’re not in an accident. It only matters what happens during an accident.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You shouldn’t have any play with the seatbelt install. I should have mentioned: I am a child seat technician.

Before you start with the seatbelt install, check to make sure the child seat is level. If it isn’t, a cheap pool noodle cut to size and placed on the car seat beneath the child seat will bring it up to level.

Then feed the seatbelt through the space indicated and click into the receiver.

Have someone kneel in the car seat and pull the seatbelt as tight as you can.

Pull the seatbelt out to it’s limit. You should hear a “click”. When you release it, it should ratchet back in. Make sure it goes all the way back in. It will lock in place and will not release until you unlatch the seatbelt and allow it to recoil all the way.

If it doesn’t ratchet back, it will not lock. Most seats come with a locking clip that can be installed to stop the belt movement.

Attach the top tether, tighten it and away you go.

This is getting long-winded, but one more thing: as your child grows make sure the seat’s shoulder straps do not come up and over their shoulders. This is a fairly simple process, but it does require removing the seat, removing the head bolster and repositioning the straps through higher holes. It’s also a good time to clean the covers or remove the accumulated Cheerios.

If you have questions or concerns about the install there are resources available in your community. Many fire departments throughout Canada and the USA have gotten onboard with the program and have car seat technicians on duty.

Disclaimer: Rules and regulations vary from province to province and state to state, even country to country. (I think Sweden requires rear-facing seats up to 40 or 60 lbs/18 or 27 kg - please correct me if I’m wrong.)
Ensure you know the rules for your area.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You shouldn’t have any play with the seatbelt install. I should have mentioned: I am a child seat technician.

Before you start with the seatbelt install, check to make sure the child seat is level. If it isn’t, a cheap pool noodle cut to size and placed on the car seat beneath the child seat will bring it up to level.

Then feed the seatbelt through the space indicated and click into the receiver.

Have someone kneel in the car seat and pull the seatbelt as tight as you can.

Pull the seatbelt out to it’s limit. You should hear a “click”. When you release it, it should ratchet back in. Make sure it goes all the way back in. It will lock in place and will not release until you unlatch the seatbelt and allow it to recoil all the way.

If it doesn’t ratchet back, it will not lock. Most seats come with a locking clip that can be installed to stop the belt movement.

Attach the top tether, tighten it and away you go.

This is getting long-winded, but one more thing: as your child grows make sure the seat’s shoulder straps do not come up and over their shoulders. This is a fairly simple process, but it does require removing the seat, removing the head bolster and repositioning the straps through higher holes. It’s also a good time to clean the covers or remove the accumulated Cheerios.

If you have questions or concerns about the install there are resources available in your community. Many fire departments throughout Canada and the USA have gotten onboard with the program and have car seat technicians on duty.

Disclaimer: Rules and regulations vary from province to province and state to state, even country to country. (I think Sweden requires rear-facing seats up to 40 or 60 lbs/18 or 27 kg - please correct me if I’m wrong.)
Ensure you know the rules for your area.
That was very helpful, thanks!!