Question about vehicle sales tax (Nevada)

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So I’m happy to report that I’m 3 days from delivery, and I’ve just made my final down payment to Tesla. Oof, that was quite a hit to the pocketbook!

One question though. Tesla says I will just have paid over $4k in taxes on my car. That sounds correct for NV, as our tax rate is 8.1%. However, and this is mainly for my fellow Nevadans, I’ve read that Nevada has a vehicle sales tax cap of $950. So am I overpaying by 3k, or is there something I’m misunderstanding?

Any input much appreciated!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I’m happy to report that I’m 3 days from delivery, and I’ve just made my final down payment to Tesla. Oof, that was quite a hit to the pocketbook!

One question though. Tesla says I will just have paid over $4k in taxes on my car. That sounds correct for NV, as our tax rate is 8.1%. However, and this is mainly for my fellow Nevadans, I’ve read that Nevada has a vehicle sales tax cap of $950. So am I overpaying by 3k, or is there something I’m misunderstanding?

Any input much appreciated!
just based on a quick google search, I think you are correct. any vehicle sales tax should cap at $950.

LV Acrobat

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I paid something like 4k in sales tax in NV. No mention of any caps. Maybe that only applies to dealers?