Question about Color

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, as my invite gets closer (non-owner, online before reveal reservation holder) I thought I had narrowed down my color choice FINALLY to white. Lately I’ve been paying more attention to white cars on the road (all makes) and came to the realization that I prefer a bright WHITE white over the slightly off-white I have seen on several makes (Nissan for instance.) Which makes me wonder about the Model3 white color and brings me to my question for those people who have seen the Model3 in white IN PERSON: is it a bright really WHITE white or is it a richer, creamy white? Any help is appreciated since there aren’t too many Teslas where I live or work and I am a 2 hour drive from the closest Tesla Showroom.

LV Acrobat

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, as my invite gets closer (non-owner, online before reveal reservation holder) I thought I had narrowed down my color choice FINALLY to white. Lately I’ve been paying more attention to white cars on the road (all makes) and came to the realization that I prefer a bright WHITE white over the slightly off-white I have seen on several makes (Nissan for instance.) Which makes me wonder about the Model3 white color and brings me to my question for those people who have seen the Model3 in white IN PERSON: is it a bright really WHITE white or is it a richer, creamy white? Any help is appreciated since there aren’t too many Teslas where I live or work and I am a 2 hour drive from the closest Tesla Showroom.
The white is a bright white, BUT has that "pearl" look to it. So not as great as my old model S that was the bright white you were looking for, but I wouldnt say its off white or cream, bright but pearl.

LV Acrobat

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I know this is another picture, but I'd say its very good look at the true to life color. I had the same issue BTW, I like dark grey but every photo I saw just seems liked it had a blueish tint to it. I went to tesla to see it in real life and it was very different so I feel you pain.

RichEV

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country

I know this is another picture, but I'd say its very good look at the true to life color. I had the same issue BTW, I like dark grey but every photo I saw just seems liked it had a blueish tint to it. I went to tesla to see it in real life and it was very different so I feel you pain.
and the picture shows the concern I have with the Pearl White - such a large expanse of white to catch all those black bug marks. I love the look of the PW but I don't like the idea of having to wash "grill" every day.

OrangeJulius

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Please don’t rely on a screen image to judge color. Anyone who works in the field can tell you that different screens and different devices have color reproduction capabilities.
To really “know” the actual color, go see an actual Model 3.

Defjukie

Country
Country
Please don’t rely on a screen image to judge color. Anyone who works in the field can tell you that different screens and different devices have color reproduction capabilities.
To really “know” the actual color, go see an actual Model 3.
unfortunately, most of us don't have this option

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fun fact: today I was told that all cars are painted black first. So there's black under your blue, for instance.

Last edited:

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fun fact: today I was told that all cars are painted black first. So there's black under you blue, for instance.
If true this would be a complete waste of time and money. There is absolutely zero value in painting a car with A gloss black base coat first and than cover it with a base coat of silver, white, blue red etc. Doing this is not only a waste of tiem and money it will give a negative result as you will expose black when there are paint chips.

Last edited by a moderator:

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If true this would be a complete waste of time and money. There is absolutely zero value in painting a car with A gloss black base coat first and than cover it with a base coat of silver, white, blue red etc. Doing this is not only a waste of tiem and money it will give a negative result as you will expose black when there are paint chips.
Just saying what I heard. Seems like choosing a black primer would not work as well on a light color topcoat like white, but I dunno.
If it's true, I doubt they gloss coat it first. Just the color coat.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Model S and X are available in the same colors, so you can at least see what those colors look like on some type of vehicle.
You can see the color, but not how it looks on a Model 3.
Because the same color can give a different effect on a different car. I've experienced this myself. It may be good on one and meh on the other.
I like MSM on the Model 3 (I think), but find it dull on Models S and X.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Not true. :) The base coat before they put the color on is a dark olive green (source: someone on our factory tour asked this and that was the answer given by the guide).
So should they make a special offer with a grand as rebate for dark olive green Model 3s... @Topher , too dark for you? ;)

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country