Query re: Model 3 Mobile Connector

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

ejw

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, I'm currently charging (slowly) at home using my mobile connector plugged into a 120v outlet.
When I plug in the car end, there's a lot of clicking - like the car is trying to engage the lock but failing. Eventually it works, but I would say it takes 6+ attempts / 10 seconds of clicking before it is locked in.

Is this normal?

I didn't notice the same thing happening when I charged at a public site using the adaptor.
(On the other hand, I may not have been paying that much attention)

ejw

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
are you sure the clicking is right at the port and not relays clicking elsewhere? I could see noticing these clicks when at home where things are quiet, but not notice then outside at a public charger.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Also try a different 120v plug at home with less circuit load or closer to the panel. Sometimes if there isn’t enough current, it doesn’t work at all. I tried to plug the UMC into an extension cord in the past with no success.

ejw

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
are you sure the clicking is right at the port and not relays clicking elsewhere? I could see noticing these clicks when at home where things are quiet, but not notice then outside at a public charger.
Definitely seems like the lock trying to click in. (I can feel and hear it).