Query for Virginia EV owners

ejw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Virginia folks. I've spent some time on the Dominion Energy site trying to figure out how to take advantage of what I BELIEVE are lower overnight electricity rates for charging. What I can't tell is whether the rates are just lower or if you have to sign up for a special rate-package in order to get lower overnight rates. (Or if the rates are just the same all the time).

Anyone have any hints?

bradkeller

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I looked into this a few months ago, and my understanding is that the adjusted rates (based on time of day) were only available if you signed up during a certain window. And that window has now closed.

Go here: https://www.dominionenergy.com/home...c-vehicles/electric-vehicle-pricing-plan-faqs and look under the first question "Why is Dominion Energy Offering EV Pricing Plans?" My reading of that response is that 1) the window to sign up is closed, and 2) even if you did sign up years ago, they're going to stop the program this year.

However, it's possible that they'll institute it full time, and re-open the window. But that's just speculation.

There's a place on their website where you can tell them that you're going to install an EV charger in your home. I'm not sure what it accomplishes to tell them, but I did it, and haven't gotten any response from them. Here's that page: https://www.dominionenergy.com/home...s-to-save/electric-vehicles/get-plug-in-ready, and for reference, here's the referring page, which has lots of other info: https://www.dominionenergy.com/home-and-small-business/ways-to-save/electric-vehicles.

I'd love to hear that I'm wrong on any of this, but sadly I think that Virginia is not going to be on the forefront for us.

Does anyone else have any news or input about Dominion Energy?

ejw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You're definitely correct about the EV pricing program. That seems to have been a test that started in 2016, is closed to new people, and shuts down at the end of this year anyway.

However, Dominion SEEMS to have a time-based-pricing plan available in-general, not just for EV users, where power used overnight is priced MUCH lower, but there's also a monthly fee and etc, etc... but I can't figure out 1) how to compare it to "regular" pricing, 2) if it is really available, and 3) how one would sign up for it.

I will probably have to call Dominion, but I was hoping someone here would be able to clue me in.

bradkeller

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting. I'd love to know what you find out after speaking with them. I'd probably opt into such a program, as long as the fee isn't too high.

On a different note, I see that you're in Arlington. I set up a conversation among Northern Virginia owners and future owners earlier this year. We don't have a ton of activity, but I suspect that when we all get our cars, we will. I've sent you an invitation, but don't feel pressured to join, if it's not your thing. (However, if anyone else is interested in joining, just say so.)

NoVa3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting. I'd love to know what you find out after speaking with them. I'd probably opt into such a program, as long as the fee isn't too high.

On a different note, I see that you're in Arlington. I set up a conversation among Northern Virginia owners and future owners earlier this year. We don't have a ton of activity, but I suspect that when we all get our cars, we will. I've sent you an invitation, but don't feel pressured to join, if it's not your thing. (However, if anyone else is interested in joining, just say so.)
Guessing I’ll be seeing your around town. Please add me to your invitation list, if you don’t mind.

NoVa3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And I read it the same way. That separate meter arrangement with Dominion is no longer available. The other option looks interesting, but I reviewed it a couple of years ago and it seemed pretty rigid. Given that our utility costs are comparatively cheap, I elected convenience over the small potential savings. I will have to look at it again unless others can speak to it from first hand experience.

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all, Please count me in on the NoVa meetup. And there are a couple of intro threads for NoVa people. It would be great if we can use one thread, as we all seem to be dispersed at this time. Good luck to everyone to get their EVs soon!

As for the OP's topic, I sent a question to Ralph Northom ahead of his first radio interview on WTOP tomorrow. Let's see what he thinks on adding EV incentives for VA, similar to the ones available in PA, MD, DE, NJ.

bradkeller

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the message, and for reaching out to the Governor. There was a bill that died in committee earlier this year (House Bill 469, which you can see here: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+sum+HB469). I wonder if he'd have anything to say about bringing it up next year.

Anyway, I'll add you to the invite list for our discussion, and feel free to invite others too.

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
H
Thanks for the message, and for reaching out to the Governor. There was a bill that died in committee earlier this year (House Bill 469, which you can see here: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+sum+HB469). I wonder if he'd have anything to say about bringing it up next year.

Anyway, I'll add you to the invite list for our discussion, and feel free to invite others too.
Huh, didn't realize it died. I guess I still can't read gov language. Well, let's see if he replies.