Pushing them to the limit - CarWow's EV Range Testing

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just glad somebody did it for me...
Comparing apples with oranges at 65mph against range posted by manufacturer but entertaining nonetheless. I will le you Guess which one goes the farthest ;)

Last edited:

Nom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for posting. The claimed range is based on the European standard. 348 miles for the model 3 (if I recall correctly). Saw average Wh/mi on screen at about 257 at the end (270 miles total - the average wh/mi would have suggested closer to 290 mi).

Bravo to the Kia - came in a surprisingly close 2nd at 255 miles and much closer to its ‘claimed’ range.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
CarWow ran a semi-scientific test to see just how far a number of EVs could run before completely stopping. It wasn't a completely-controlled, scientific test, but I think it was good enough for a valid comparison.
  • All cars were charged to 100% overnight, but most dropped a few percentage by the time they left in the morning. All were over 95%
  • The all left at the same time and "convoyed" until each one had to drop out.
  • As each car got to a few miles remaining, the left the highway to head towards the next known charging station.
  • Once close to the charging station, each car would basically drive around in circles until it completely died.
  • They made note of whether the car could be placed into neutral and pushed the rest of the way to plug in at the charger (some couldn't).
Results:
  • Mercedes EQC 400: 194 miles (75% of claimed range)
  • Audi e-tron: 206 miles (81% of claimed range)
  • Nissan Leaf e+ Tekna: 208 miles (87% of claimed range)
  • Jaguar I-pace: 223 miles (76% of claimed range)
  • Kia e-Niro: 255 miles (90% of claimed range)
  • Tesla Model 3 LR AWD: 270 miles (78% of claimed range)

This link will take you to the final results. Start over from the beginning to see the rest.