Pulling Wire

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Crno

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Decided I wanted to save some money and pull the necessary cable from my 200amp box to my driveway (about 80 feet) to do the future install of my wall charger. Don’t have a garage so I’m looking at different landscape ideas to blend in the post I plan to install for the Tesla wall charger. I am not an electrician but I know how to run cable through the house and underground to my desired location. Before I do this I want to double check that it is the 6 gauge electrical wire that you’re running. Is there anything else others would recommend that I’m missing?

Last edited:

btpier

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
6 gauge is fine unless you want to future proof for a different car or more than 1 EV. I did 3 gauge in my garage so I can do 100 amp on the 1 circuit in the future. 3AWG would have about 1/2 the voltage drop of 6 AWG but even 6 over 80 feet is under 3%.

Any other suggestions I'd offer are based on the National Electric Code so probably not practical to a Canadian installation. :)

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
AWG 6 is available in UF wire (Underground Feeder, basically Romex that's permitted to be installed underground without conduit), which would make for a pretty easy install. AWG 3 or 4 would probably require individual THWN wires in conduit - and doing that underground exceeds my knowledge level. You'll need to look up the appropriate depth that UF would need to be installed at (it's different depending on whether it crosses a driveway).

AWG 6 is good to 60A if using THWN wire in conduit, 50A if using UF or NM-B (Romex). AWG 4 would get you up to 80A, and AWG 3 up to 100A.

There's enough power involved that I'd certainly pull a permit and get it inspected.