Puddle light broke off in door panel

sjcsale

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got puddle light replacement for front and back doors from Abstract Ocean. Great product btw
Front worked out okay. One of the back door also installed and functioning well. Down to the last door (rear passenger).

I pushed the new light in place half-way into the panel (wanted to check alignment before pushing in all the way). Wanting to fix the alignment a bit, tried to pull out the light back out, when the top clear plastic popped out and the rest of the housing remained inside the door panel.

Given that the connector wires are very short and hard to grab and get out -- what are my options?
Any video/guides to take off the door trim? Or should I just got to service center?

Edit: Attached the image of popped off part and the housing inside the door panel.

Attachments

Last edited:

sjcsale

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can remove the panel by removing the 3 torx screws and just pull out the panel with a panel puller. One screw is under the grab handle and one in the rear behind the red reflector.
Oh, THANK YOU!!! I will try this out.
Couldn't find anything on YouTube about removing the door trim. Also an email to Tesla service has gone un-responded to.

So, this is going to be very very helpful. Will try and find those screws and report back.

Olds442

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
did you try a soft tug with a pair of needle nosed plyers? assuming you have the wires connected properly i can't see much holding it up in the door. the thicker clear part came off, and that's the part that keeps it in the door. i'd certainly try that before bothering to remove a panel.
but then again, i live a little dangerously and have been known to drop the bolt that ultimately lands on the top of a frame rail. :rolleyes: so caution is advised.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine did this too. Just used a screwdriver to push the tab in on the light and I got it out fine. I even ended up with the light rolling around inside the door as it went too far when I pushed it in. That was fun to fish out.