PSA: New stabilizer links for early VIN Model 3s

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Spiffywerks

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just had my car in for service to handle a list of 12 items from when I got my car, and they replaced my stabilizer links due to a Service bulletin for early VIN Model 3s. (mine is 6029) They found an issue that causes early tire wear due to the ball joint studs cracking, so there is a bulletin out there to replace them on early VIN cars. You may want to stop in and check if your eligible for this service. I had no idea about it, they just took care of it since my car was already in.

I was also told if you have the very stiff suspension, they are currently replacing them for free with softer ones on request. Must have an early VIN that came with the stiffer suspension.

Here is a shot of the work line from my service papers.
7c96d30e-71cc-4aa9-898a-be7f027e2ce2-jpeg.10627

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know when the improved suspension began production? My vin is around 8K and the ride feels pretty stiff, but I'm not sure if its normal or the old suspension.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I read somewhere that the suspension was changed around VIN 3xxx. Can anyone here confirm? I live in a state without a SC so if I eventually need to have any of this done, it's a drive up to Denver I expect. On the suspension, I've now driven a brand new just delivered 2018 M3 (ours is a 2xxx 2017) and the suspension difference was obvious within the first few minutes.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know when the improved suspension began production? My vin is around 8K and the ride feels pretty stiff, but I'm not sure if its normal or the old suspension.
I had the work @Spiffywerks posted here about, my VIN is 47XX, @LUXMAN reported back that his 8XXX VIN did not need it. @Quicksilver also did not need the work done but I'm not recalling what his VIN is off the top of my head. Sounds like they switched to the new supply and/or fixed the issue somewhere between VIN 6k and 8k.
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/my-model-3-heav3n.5943/page-7#post-113357

I had a ranger out for some other things and they took care of that bulletin at the same time.

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just had my suspension upgraded last week on Vin #1927, originally delivered on 12/26/17. I used the web tool to schedule the service, and they had the work order filled out and parts for the new suspension were there and set aside for my car. They also did the window regulator replacement and some other TSB items as well.

I had heard before that the upgraded suspension was rolled out on cars produced after 12/27/17.

By the way, the improvement with the new suspension is amazing, so I would recommend getting it if your car qualifies...

tesla-suspension-jpg.10676

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just had my suspension upgraded last week on Vin #1927, originally delivered on 12/26/17.
Mine's just a few hundred after yours (23xx). Guessing from my test drive of a new 2018 Model 3, the suspension is definitely more "damped" and the car feels more planted than mine and yes, it's pretty noticeable. That said, I'd much rather autocross with my 2017 suspension. But my wife and daughter tell me to swap it out for the later suspension. I just gotta figure out how exactly to do that now. NM needs a service center :(

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Mine's just a few hundred after yours (23xx). Guessing from my test drive of a new 2018 Model 3, the suspension is definitely more "damped" and the car feels more planted than mine and yes, it's pretty noticeable. That said, I'd much rather autocross with my 2017 suspension. But my wife and daughter tell me to swap it out for the later suspension. I just gotta figure out how exactly to do that now. NM needs a service center :(
I wonder if we can buy the original "sport" springs/dampers from Tesla? Most of them are almost new!

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder if we can buy the original "sport" springs/dampers from Tesla? Most of them are almost new!
I don't know, PNW, I drove that car for 6 months with the original suspension and I think you'd be crazy to want those parts...Have you experienced the ride in an early car? Oh, my......

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I don't know, PNW, I drove that car for 6 months with the original suspension and I think you'd be crazy to want those parts...Have you experienced the ride in an early car? Oh, my......
No, I haven't driven a Model 3 with the low VIN# suspension. But I bet they were the result of what worked on the track, not necessarily what the general public wanted.