PSA foreign transaction fee when SC'ing outside of country

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Over Labor day weekend, I went on a trip around Lake Erie and used superchargers in Canada. The charges for the Supercharger were automatically billed to my credit card and showed up as Tesla Canada. I was, therefore, charged a foreign transaction fee. While the foreign transaction was pretty insignificant, its something to be aware of.

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Over Labor day weekend, I went on a trip around Lake Erie and used superchargers in Canada. The charges for the Supercharger were automatically billed to my credit card and showed up as Tesla Canada. I was, therefore, charged a foreign transaction fee. While the foreign transaction was pretty insignificant, its something to be aware of.
During the EAP trial, I realized that one could pay for autopilot from the car with a few taps on the screen. Needless to say, I just didn't like the odds of an accidental purchase going through and removed the credit card on file.

Post which, there have been zero issues with supercharging. All your costs at the supercharger will continue to accrue. You can just log in to your Tesla account at a later point in time and choose to pay with whatever card you want to.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
During the EAP trial, I realized that one could pay for autopilot from the car with a few taps on the screen. Needless to say, I just didn't like the odds of an accidental purchase going through and removed the credit card on file.

Post which, there have been zero issues with supercharging. All your costs at the supercharger will continue to accrue. You can just log in to your Tesla account at a later point in time and choose to pay with whatever card you want to.
I paid my first SC visit this way, via my Tesla Account. Now Tesla automatically charges my credit card on the account.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...billed to my credit card and showed up as Tesla Canada. I was, therefore, charged a foreign transaction fee.
Good PSA.

I just want to emphasize that the fee is charged by the credit card, not by Tesla. If you plan on travelling internationally, try to provide Tesla a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees, if possible.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good PSA.

I just want to emphasize that the fee is charged by the credit card, not by Tesla. If you plan on travelling internationally, try to provide Tesla a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees, if possible.
Exactly. I would have changed my card on file if I knew this would happen

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I paid my first SC visit this way, via my Tesla Account. Now Tesla automatically charges my credit card on the account.
Probably because during that process, the flag to keep the card on file was ticked. If kept unchecked, the card will be used only for that one transaction to be paid, and the next time one uses a SC - another invoice due will be issued which one can choose to pay off with whatever card they want to.

Small inconvenience to pay it manually when you login to the Tesla account, (and you can continue to visit as many SCs as you like, they will not stop charging the car because any previous charges are unpaid) - but with the general trend of CC information being phished and hacked, i believe it is better to not let such information lie around in accounts.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Probably because during that process, the flag to keep the card on file was ticked. If kept unchecked, the card will be used only for that one transaction to be paid, and the next time one uses a SC - another invoice due will be issued which one can choose to pay off with whatever card they want to.

Small inconvenience to pay it manually when you login to the Tesla account, (and you can continue to visit as many SCs as you like, they will not stop charging the car because any previous charges are unpaid) - but with the general trend of CC information being phished and hacked, i believe it is better to not let such information lie around in accounts.
I read yesterday they will stop you from supercharging if your account balance hits $50. You will have to pay to unlock it.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for that information. I have 6 visits totaling up to ~$27 and didn't so probably didn't see this happen. Let me go to $50 and find out \m/
Apparently the freeze gets lifted as soon as you pay so let us know!