PSA: Don't blindly trust the knowledge of Tesla representatives

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Of course the funniest part of the person getting flack for sharing that v9 would drop on 10/1/2018 is that they’re getting more flack than Elon who promised it by the weekend on Twitter for all to see.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I will add a small one to this list from a ranger who was visiting my house (still fits the topic as they're a Tesla rep!). I bought the CMC (Corded Mobile Connector) awhile back for a few reasons.
- It sits flush with the wall so there isn't a lot hanging out like the gen1 mobile connector. (gen2 is better about this as well)
- Better rate of charge for both cars (my 3 and wife's S) than the gen2 (40A vs 32A), so better utilizing the 50amp breaker.
- Allows me to keep the charging cables that came with the cars in the cars for any unforeseen times they might be needed.

I've had to explain that with the CMC I get the 40A charging versus the 32A with the gen2 multiple times. Not really a big deal at all, but wanted to add it to this list.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes fsKotte, that's completely ridiculous. Having other passengers turn off their bluetooth devices won't help (assuming that they are functioning correctly, and don't have a weird hardware issue that causes them to operate outside of FCC regulations).
Any issues with hands-free calling quality are more likely due to the microphone in the car, and the call connection itself.

I was email-conversing with a service rep from Dublin, CA Tesla SC just today, and she said: "If you have issues with Bluetooth please ensure that all other Bluetooth devices (in the car) are switched to airplane mode (whether in use or not). This may help."

I wrote back and asked her if she was suggesting that if anyone rides in my car with me, I have to ask them to switch their phones/watches/etc to "airplane mode"? That's a little ridiculous, now, innit?

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another example: I accompanied a friend on a Model X test drive last Saturday. During the drive the Tesla Rep was going through the Drive settings and discussing the Range Mode. I asked why the Model 3 didn’t have a Range Mode like the S & X, and he said “It does”. I told him I couldn’t find it on mine, but would be anxious to check it out when I got home. He said “Yeah, I’ve got a Model 3 myself, so I know it’s there.” Well, I’ve looked extensively and can’t find it, and from everything I’ve read, the Model 3 doesn’t have it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's a case where an over-enthusiastic staff member was confused about the timing of the car computer upgrade.
Hi,

I just got my Model 3 the second week of November. When I was waiting for Tesla to complete the sales paper work, I struck up a conversation with the staff there. We were discussing Auto-Pilot and I asked since I did not purchase EAP, would I need to bring the car in for hardware to be added at a later time. She indicated no, and that all Tesla's come equipped with the hardware. I nodded and said "That's right, they are NVIDIA boards." To my surprise she said no longer, they are made by Tesla now. I said isn't that months away with Tesla making their own chips / boards to put in the car? She then asked when my car was manufactured. I said October. She said it should have the Tesla made hardware now and that Tesla moves quickly with changes.

I've seen articles recently where Elon says they are 6 months away from adding this into vehicles. Is it possible the new hardware is already going into new cars now? Would that explain Tesla increasing the price of EAP to $7,000 after sale (assuming the new chips can do EAP and FSD, the old price of EAP @$5,000 + FSD @$3,000 = $8,000 isn't that far off from the new EAP price). Thoughts?

Elon Musk had already provided a timeline. Plus, I would expect Tesla to once again offer FSD for purchase in the online configurator once the new computer module is present in all vehicles.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another case of an incorrectly-informed Tesla Representative spreading false information.

Also I know the answer and a bit of a stupid question but just want to be sure. When I did my test drive the Tesla rep claimed it already came with a wireless charging pad, this is wrong right?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This advice isn't too bad, but it is still incorrect.
There are several issues with getting drives larger than 32GB to work, but it is possible. And others have reported that multiple partitions work well.

I think the thing to take away from this is that if you're counting on Tesla Service to help you get your TeslaCam working, they're going to insist that you use 32GB or smaller drives to keep things simple.

I contacted service with my issue, and they had a couple of recommendations that seem to be helping. First, they say to not use a drive larger than 32GB. Second, they say Sentry Mode and TeslaCam hate partitions. I got a 32 GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide, set up one partition using DISKPART and formatted it... I'm not seeing the weird missing segments like before.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MJJ I also think there is another thread on this but so far ive found the service people to either not know, talk out of their a$$ because they do not know. Or know there is no consistency I also heard through about everyone i talk to they seem to be in the dark about updates as much as we are. Maybe it's unique to my SC but it seems that way they mean well but they may not know what's up.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
every single vendor and and every single member of my team (I run a team of 16 IT professionals) gets the same message at the first meeting.

rule 1: tell the truth.

So if you don't know something, say you don't know and never just make stuff up.

You see, the truth will always come out, so I always tell my team members, or vendors, the truth because eventually the truth will come out and they will know it. And they will also then know that I am a liar. So let's start from the truth and build from there. If they don't like the truth we'll deal with that the best we can based on the situation.

One of the questions on the intern interview information form is "Is it better to tell someone the truth or tell someone something that makes them feel better at the time?"

I'm a big fan of being upfront and telling the truth, especially the "I don't know" truth.

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've found certain Tesla employees know the narrative they're told and aren't die hards like many people on this forum. I sometimes cringe when I hear people in the store give incorrect facts to people who are new to the brand.

On another note, we had mobile service for our S out this past Monday. The guy told my wife that the Model Y was going to be amazing and that he had spent time in it but signed an NDA and couldn't talk about it or its features. I told my wife I wish I was there to correct this poor gentleman - perhaps he doesn't realize there's this thing called Youtube, that contains about a dozen 3 month old videos from youtubers that actually went on a test drive during the unveil. He may not also realize that its basically a larger 3 that shares a significant number of parts.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla representative told a customer that Homelink was just a software unlock.
Unfortunately, that's not correct. There's also a hardware component that needs to be installed.

Just been watching a YouTube video by Tesla Raj that mentions Home-link being an additional purchase.
I have not seen this option on the Tesla UK website. Anyone know if it is a post-order option? Or is it unavailable in the UK perhaps?

EDIT: Rang my local store and was advised it's not currently available in the UK but that it should be a software unlock should it be made available again in the future.