PSA: Do not post referral codes in the forums

dannyskim

UNFAIR! Who is trevor41818 and why does his referal code feature PROMINENTLY on the top page of this forum?
Honestly, I was just trying to be helpful in aiding you in abiding to the rules of this forum, but I don't think you're going to put in the time and effort to figure out these questions yourself, so I'll be removing myself from this conversation.

https://teslaownersonline.com/members/trevp.1/

He is a founding member of this site and the club. Considering that fact, it's up to him and his fellow founding members to do what they want. If you don't agree, I suggest you make your own club and site and do the same to get referrals.

SPIKE's M3AWD

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Understood. The only reason I posted my referral code is because I saw Trevor posted his so boldly on this forum. I am a faithful member of this forum. I routinely post and never before posted a referal code before I saw Trevors. I fully understand the effort it takes to run a forum. Consider yourself fortunate this forum is for the M3 which has many supporter as compared to other unnamed EV forums with much less support.

SPIKE's M3AWD

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
He is a founding member of this site and the club. Considering that fact, it's up to him and his fellow founding members to do what they want. If you don't agree, I suggest you make your own club and site and do the same to get referrals.
I guess I am a rebel without a clue!!
Good for Trevor and the other founders!

Still unfair to all the other followers of this forum. I have no desire to profit by starting another club or forum. There are too many in my opinion. It is funny how Telsa's own forum is the worst of the bunch!

And forums are the least effective tool for referal codes

Last edited:

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We're trying a social experiment for November to see if exposing codes actually works. Even without my code being displayed on the site it won't affect my progress, every single referral I’ve had has come from outside the forum save for maybe a couple and I’ve already won a Roadster and not looking for another one.

If it does net a few more, which we track but I don't get anything extra BTW, we will consider allowing codes to be displayed in signatures so that everyone can benefit. We want everyone to be free and able to participate but we decided to try an experiment first rather than open Pandora’s box and try and put the genie back in the bottle.

Everyone is free to use the private messaging system to exchange codes, we don't restrict that.

Last edited:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't want to pour fuel on the fire in what always seems to be a touchy situation, but I have wanted to comment on this since the codes started featuring very prominently...
The forum has been very adamant against posting of referral codes. It really surprised me to see Trev's suddenly show up at the top of every page, in giant print no less, with no way to dismiss. It certainly induces some mixed feelings. Of course, Trev started, owns, and runs this wonderful place and deserves all the support he can get. But it would be nice if we could, just maybe include a link quietly in our signatures or profile page, while still prevent pushing them in our actual posts.
It just seems strange that this and other forums, and reddit, are all super against any slight mention of referrals, yet the same folks constantly mention them on twitter and youtube. That means folks can only benefit from those platforms, and kind of devalues the efforts many of us put into these and many other outlets that prevent their use.
In real life, there is almost never an opportunity to refer a friend to buy a particular car. Folks come to the internet to research and get their questions answered, and should be able to choose who they want to reward aside from the few "big names" out there.

John A Bailey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla has created a bit of a unique situation with the Performance Model 3.
  • They retroactively included them in the referral program, after many people had placed an order.
  • They've started sending people referral links before they received their cars.
So now a lot of people are wondering if we can apply referral codes to each others's orders retroactively. It's an interesting question. If you go to Tesla's Referral Program page, and expand the "Frequently Asked Questions" section, it says:

My friend just took delivery of a new Tesla vehicle, but forgot to use my code. Can they apply it retroactively?​
Referral codes must be applied at the time of the order being placed and cannot be applied retroactively.

So if that's being enforced, it will not be possible. But it's possible that it is not enforced.

Whether or not it's possible, please review the forum rules. There is a link to the rules at the bottom of every page of the website. It says:

21. Competing Sites, Businesses, Individuals and Organizations
You agree not to attempt to gain traffic from TOO in any way, including but not limited to, links in posts, signatures, profile information, PM's, or emails. This applies to, but is not limited to competing sites, businesses, individuals or organizations. The embedding of Tesla Referral codes in posts or signatures is not permitted.

I know it's tempting - this forum is full of people considering placing orders for Teslas. It's basically exactly the audience an advertiser would be looking for when deciding where to advertise a referral code. But we do not allow that here. We want this to be a forum for Model 3 owners and enthusiasts to discuss their cars. We do not want this place to become full of advertising. Even official sponsors of the website must keep their posts well targeted, and mostly within a sponsor-specific subforum.

I hope everybody understands and accepts our position on this.
I agree and would never advertise a referral code....though it seems that now the only 2 groups that get to market referral codes in any meaningful quantity are podcasters and Youtubist. Some who are up to 2 roadsters in referrals. I really wonder if a single Doctor, lawyer, teacher or, engineer will ever even have a chance by just talking to their peers while going about their jobs of teaching, saving lives and inventing things. I really thought encouraging individuals to spread the word was cool but in looking back it has turned into a way to reward social media hosts who go on and on about their referral codes, the number of roadsters they are owed and the free rides they will give the group of 50 buyers out of several hundred thousand listeners that have been privy to their referral codes.

John A Bailey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Frankly the whole referral thing has gotten embarrassing. Tesla’s products speak for themselves and most podcasters and youtubist would be doing what they do without the lure of secondary gain. However with the reward of a 250000 dollar sports cars riding on convincing someone else to buy a car takes something away from the authenticity. Tesla is to blame as well since they are pretty much bribing us to seek out a referral code even if the code came from someone who we had never met and had nothing to do with our decision to purchase

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's a simple solution for this, IMO. Put a Referral Code field in the profile and let everyone insert their referral code, accessible only if someone goes to look at the profile. Keeps it from cluttering things but allows a free market of referral code owners and users.
I can't believe I didn't think of this!

This is precisely what we're going to do as it achieves a fair way for those to be rewarded for their contributions here and keeps posts and signatures from being spammed.

Lastly, if the program indeed comes to and end (as things always do) then we can easily turn it off without badgering for people to clean up their sigs.

You can now enter your Tesla referral code into your account profile. Anyone wishing to use your referral can see it or click on it in the member's "About" tab to place an order with Tesla.

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone who chimed in on the matter and we value your input and thoughts.

Yours truly, Trev

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome. The profile is the best way to handle this, everyone has equal opportunity, and those looking can simply look up whoever they choose to reward.
I printed up moo cards for handing out to the tons of people I thought would be asking me about the car, yet after four months have yet to have that happen. People are much more likely to search out and discuss their questions on the internet. That's why the program has so much favorited the big internet personalities that come up in those searches.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've added the following to the top of the OP:

2018/11/13 UPDATE:

TrevP has now added a "Referral Code" field in your user profile.
Please feel free to add your referral code to your profile.
This is the only place where a referral code may be added. Do not put it in your signature, or in any post.

If you wish to use another member's referral code, just click on their name to bring up a popup, then click their name in the popup to bring up their profile, then click the "About" tab to see if they have a referral field set.

John A Bailey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My solution...I'm sure it won't be allowed

My daughter is an attorney. I can have her come up with a binding contract with me to donate 100% of any proceeds from anything gained from a referral code...even a won Tesla toy car, charger, Roadster whatever to donate as a gift to the SPCA. This would give people a choice rather than Tesla forcing people to accept a code from someone they have never even met to get a few months of free supercharging or whatever.

What do you think?....gets rid of the secondary gain.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

My daughter is an attorney. I can have her come up with a binding contract with me to donate 100% of any proceeds from anything gained from a referral code...even a won Tesla toy car, charger, Roadster whatever to donate as a gift to the SPCA. This would give people a choice rather than Tesla forcing people to accept a code from someone they have never even met to get a few months of free supercharging or whatever.

Actually, that's a sweet idea. Like!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's a fine idea.

As far as this forum is concerned, we don't mind people "gaining" from having their referral codes being used. We are concerned that people are going to try "advertising" their referral codes all over the forum. We don't want the forum to become a dumping ground for people "sharing" their referral codes. I think allowing referral codes in profiles accomplishes that while allowing people to make their codes publicly findable.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently shared a Oscar and Hamish referral code via conversation. This is an alternative way to handle it.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I don’t have illusions of winning a Roadster as it’s quite unrealistic, but what’s wrong with secondary gain? Both the buyer and referer getting something is a win-win. It helps motivate the buyer and it enticing the referer to help others find something they may not have found otherwise and serve as Tesla’s marketing arm.

There are really 3 ways to get referrals...

(1) Boots on the ground.
(2) YouTube channel
(3) Being helpful online (forums, Reddit, Twitter, etc)

1 and 3 are mostly the same. You spend a good deal of time with the potential buying showcasing the cars and answering questions and that person uses your code.

#2 is really powerful and putting out good, relevant content is a lot of hard work. I have a lot of admiration for @TrevP for the amount of relevant content that he has put out consistently for years now all with high quality. I’m sure the number of referrals he has is nothing compared to how many Tesla’s he has actually helped sell.

Last edited: